KTM Superduke 990 stolen nr. St Thomas' Hospital

and by the way, they kept the almax chain of course…

Was having a chat with a neighbour today. Not stopping rising nuisance crimes over time leads to things escalating. So we’ve seen the escalation. Expect more.

Ian - keep it safe! (Though I doubt any location in London is safe). Rhuno

Thanks Rhuno - however I have more security than most plus my parking location is 10m from work’s rear door - patrolled by 2no. 6 foot Russian security guards - all having been told that if they “capture and (quietly) torture anyone attempting to steal my bike, they’ll get £50 each”.

By the way, do you work at the Hospital - if so PM me. May be able to assist in future parking.

Ian - keep it safe! (Though I doubt any location in London is safe).
Ross - harsh, but mostly fair and useful warning to anyone else. Value/desirability of the bike and security doesn't seem to make much difference to either the theives or the insurers - my last bike was a knackered old thing with plenty of security - still stolen. When i insured it (immaculate insurance history at that point) & the KTM no matter what security options i chose it made <2% difference to the premiums so clearly the insurance companies don't see security as significant. I guess it could be other factors in my situation that dominate the premiums (though i can't imagine what) - either way the insurance companies didn't seem to think additional security would be useful.
Also Almax chains are only useful if where you park has something substantial to chain onto. If they can't wheel it away, they'll just throw it in a van or stick it in a wheel barrow and be gone. Maybe it might delay them slightly which might just save a bike but it seems a marginal improvement. And leaving the bike at home isn't really an option when its the only practical way of getting to work.
In retrospect, i wonder if the the best preventative step would have been to stick a shabby old scooter cover over it so it was less noticable.
Groovy baby... no joy, and not expecting any - oh, you've been banned apparently!
Rhuno
All true Rhuno and an Almax is no "100% guarded by angels sure fire protection" I agree...what is?

Obviously you need something to shacke it to as well and my philosphy is if I;m going somewhere that I can’t secure it I take the tube,if I’m caught out and ring-bolt parking space are full I have to weigh it up amd if I do leave it I try and make it for as short a time as possible…luckily have a flexible job and if I can’t park where I need to be I find a underground car park or summat as near as possible and bus it back to my destination … a pain I know and not everyone can do this.

I concede that Trakers that are well made and easily hidden do give you an efge to get it back.

Finally I also agree that security measure seem to mean eff all to Insurers and I suspect the the “loading” you get is that you suddenly become “The sort of person who gets their bike stolen” … no matter what precautions you take and how carefull you are … insurers lump you in with a guy who leaves his new Gixxer overnight on a dark trading estate with no security and the keys in the ignition, Grrrr It’s fucking unfair but that seems to be the case.

Almax it to something using the thickest chain you can carry... Triang - Ross
I had a second ST3 stolen Monday night from Chelsea. Almax Immobiliser Series IV Uber + Squire SS65CS Lock chained to the thickest motherfucking bar you can imagine, bolted to concrete on street furniture under cctv... no match for an angle grinder... luckily the bike was found 2 hours later couple of miles away on Wandsworth because it has a tracker... broken steering lock and ignition barrel damaged... datatool s4 alarm ripped off from under the seat... I am buying another almax but I know if they want the bike they will bypass any chain... 
el_gafas
That is bastard luck el_gatas - you're in the 5-10% catagory that they will get the bike no matter what ....Cnuts!...

Ian - keep it safe! (Though I doubt any location in London is safe). Ross - harsh, but mostly fair and useful warning to anyone else. Value/desirability of the bike and security doesn't seem to make much difference to either the theives or the insurers - my last bike was a knackered old thing with plenty of security - still stolen. When i insured it (immaculate insurance history at that point) & the KTM no matter what security options i chose it made <2% difference to the premiums so clearly the insurance companies don't see security as significant. I guess it could be other factors in my situation that dominate the premiums (though i can't imagine what) - either way the insurance companies didn't seem to think additional security would be useful. Also Almax chains are only useful if where you park has something substantial to chain onto. If they can't wheel it away, they'll just throw it in a van or stick it in a wheel barrow and be gone. Maybe it might delay them slightly which might just save a bike but it seems a marginal improvement. And leaving the bike at home isn't really an option when its the only practical way of getting to work. In retrospect, i wonder if the the best preventative step would have been to stick a shabby old scooter cover over it so it was less noticable. Groovy baby... no joy, and not expecting any - oh, you've been banned apparently! Rhuno
All true Rhuno and an Almax is no "100% guarded by angels sure fire protection" I agree...what is?
Obviously you need something to shacke it to as well and my philosphy is if I;m going somewhere that I can't secure it I take the tube,,,,if I'm caught out and ring-bolt parking space are full I have to weigh it up amd if I do leave it I try and make it for as short a time as possible.....luckily have a flexible job and if I can't park where I need to be I find a underground car park or summat as near as possible and bus it back to my destination .... a pain I know and not everyone can do this.
I concede that Trakers that are well made and easily hidden do give you an efge to get it back.
Finally I also agree that security measure seem to mean eff all to Insurers and I suspect the the "loading" you get is that you suddenly become "The sort of person who gets their bike stolen" ... no matter what precautions you take and how carefull you are ... insurers lump you in with a guy who leaves his new Gixxer overnight on a dark trading estate with no security and the keys in the ignition,,,,, Grrrr It's fucking unfair but that seems to be the case.

Thanks for taking this in the right spirit especially given your loss by a bunch of scrotes. I have seen any critisism of the owner to start a forum firefight along the lines of "why should we have to take so many security measures when it's the scrotes fault??? Whay arem't the police etc etc etc." All very true but in the immeadiate, gets us nowhere

Finally I hate to have to do all this security shit and it makes me mad too especially when, 20 years ago, I left my brand new sportsbike outside the door with only a crappy bicycle U-lock on it from 1993 to 2000...it was never touched! I even went away for 2 weeks and it was still there , and the neighbourhood had its fair share of rough estates nearby....can't do that now.

Triang - Ross

Thanks Ian. May take you up on that if/when i get a replacement. Don’t work for GSTT but do sometimes work onsite there.

Ross, its seriously frustrating isn’t it! Maybe the manufacturers will up their game like the car makers did a few decades back. I’m saving my anger for the day I meet the thieves in person or in court. No point using it up here :slight_smile:

El gafas, my sympathies. Hope they don’t do it again. So many stories of recovered bikes being stolen again a few days later. Can’t believe they kept the chain!

In case anyone wants to watch the cctv (second video is best, fast forward to half way, files will delete in 7 days).

https://we.tl/KORRG2Wocy

Hate watching this :frowning:

Scum like that need such a good kicking!  Really boils my piss!  I’m a potential SD 990 owner and am put off by this kind of thing, even with secure parking etc…

Having had a GSXR750 stolen in broad daylight a few yers ago, along with the Almax chain and alarm going off, I came to the conclusion that the best way of avoiding your bike being stolen in London is to ride something less desirable. Considering how much insurance rises by after a theft (and affects your premium for years on both bike and car), it’s potentially cheaper to just buy a shitter for the commute and leave the nice bike for weekends. I don’t even have to chain my up these days, no fucker wants it.

Having had a GSXR750 stolen in broad daylight a few yers ago, along with the Almax chain and alarm going off, I came to the conclusion that the best way of avoiding your bike being stolen in London is to ride something less desirable. Considering how much insurance rises by after a theft (and affects your premium for years on both bike and car), it's potentially cheaper to just buy a shitter for the commute and leave the nice bike for weekends. I don't even have to chain my up these days, no fucker wants it.
Hoonercat
that's ok for now BUT once the ULEZ kicks in there wont be a lot of old shitters coming into London
that's ok for now BUT once the ULEZ kicks in there wont be a lot of old shitters coming into London

It doesn't start until 2020, bikes registered after 2007 with be fine. Most would consider a 12/13 year old bike as a shitter. In fact, thanks to inconsiderate fucks in parking bays, my 2010 is already a shitter (another reason not to have a decent bike in London).

don’t put yourself through the pain mate!

I hope you get it back, I was reading somewhere. Scooter used in thefts etc had gone from something like 350(ish) in 2014 to 4800 this year alone!

all scooter should be banned then hopefully this will stop.

don't put yourself through the pain mate!
I hope you get it back, I was reading somewhere. Scooter used in thefts etc had gone from something like 350(ish) in 2014 to 4800 this year alone!
The Sleeper
They will just switch to stolen motorbikes if you ban scooters

don't put yourself through the pain mate!
The Sleeper
Scooter are as good as any bike