KTM limited edition track-only RC 8C

KTM has this afternoon unwrapped a hand-built track special powered by the familiar LC8 engine in a bespoke chassis.

The RC 8C is a purpose-built, lightweight racing prototype which uses the engine from the KTM 890 Duke R in a bespoke, track-ready chassis, bristling with high-end racing componentry.

Under the lightweight, KTM RC16-inspired carbon Kevlar reinforced GRP bodywork lies a 128 Hp, 889 cc LC8c, DOHC, 8 valve parallel twin, bolted into a dedicated 25CrMo4 steel tubular frame, augmented by a selection of WP Pro Components at either end.

Upfront, a hand built 43 mm WP APEX PRO 7543 closed cartridge fork made from high quality, lightweight material is used. Developed with the experience gained from KTM Factory Racing efforts across a number of international championships, the suspension is assembled in the same department which builds and maintains the suspension of the KTM RC16, it guarantees the best performance for race-oriented motorcyclists and professional racers. The fork also boasts zero hydraulic stroke limitation, meaning riders can continually control the damping properties.

A WP APEX PRO 7746 shock with preload adjuster takes charge of matter at the rear, and can be easily adjusted to suit all riders, and almost any situation by means of separate high and low-speed compression and rebound settings.

Being a focused track-only motorcycle, every detail is dedicated to race craft. From the quick-release tank and body panels, to the lightweight Dymag wheels and Pirelli SC1 race slicks, the KTM RC 8C makes its intentions known.

Maximum braking performance is taken care of by Brembo race-spec equipment, with Brembo Stylema front brake calipers grabbing 290 mm fully floating brake disks with aluminum rotors fastened by titanium screws, and for the rear a Brembo two piston caliper with a 230 mm fully floating disk mounted directly on the hub.

The KTM RC 8C is also fitted with a Brembo 19RCS CORSA CORTA radial master cylinder, which features a host of innovations, with many of the technical solutions adopted drawn directly from the master cylinders used in MotoGP™. The most significant being that riders are able to tailor the “bite point” exactly where they want it, with an easily accessible selector on the top of the master cylinder itself.

Ensuring data is collected and collated, the KTM RC 8C makes use of the AIM MXS 1.2 RACE dashboard and data logger with integrated GPS function. All information is displayed via a 5“ TFT display with integrated data recording, which is continually logged and can be analysed in AIM Race Studio.

1 Like

Day only MOT? :smiley:

1 Like

Nice. I’d have one in a heart-beat, but, er it’s about 3.5 times overpriced.

2 Likes

So a Kramer but not made by Kramer?

It looks sad. Seriously, the black wing-things look like like lips drooping down :frowning_face:

1 Like

to me they looked like austrian moustaches

£30,999 plus extra for the ‘Race’ and ‘Trackday’ packages, prices to be confirmed.

I wonder how it compares on the track to a shed fettled 10 year old sports bike?

I dare say that anyone who can afford that much for a track only bike won’t care :slight_smile:

Though to answer the question, I imagine this will feel faster (power to weight ratio crazyness) and the handling should be significantly better with a bespoke track chassis, if it is at least influenced by the KTM MotoGP design team.

If I was a gambling man I’d wager anyone parting with that much hard earned, or easy come, will no doubt hype up the feel good factor to hide any embarrassment. With only a limited production run of 100 machines we’re unlikely to witness an IRL on track comparison.

£ for £ the 10+ year old shed fettled sports bike probably has it all day, everyday and then some.

I wonder how many people have the ability to ride it to its full potential?

And that exactly is the thing with these bikes. If you can ride them like they should, I suspect they are lots of fun (but may also be a lot of hard work).

If I ride them, it’ll still be like riding one of my bikes, with a few more ‘whoops’ moments and a bit more ‘yeaaaaah’ as I accelerate moments, but ultimately a lot more tears when I eventually (and inevitably) crash into a verge, a farm gate or a woman’s bushes (garden variety)…

1 Like

How many riders have the ability to ride their everyday commuter, tourer, toy or whatever to its full potential?

More like exactly the thing with the majority of mo’cycles.

If I had to do even half of that I would have to sell my bike and but a £20 tricycle from the Argos catalogue. :cry:

1 Like

The way scooters fly around lots of them are probably maxed out some of the time.
Also some people do track days on a 600 them decide after a while they are ready for a larger bike. Not to say they ever took the 600 to the edge all the time but might have touched some of its limits.

Probably me too, I think I’m a fairly capable and experienced rider but giving The 250 full throttle from around a 4,000 RPM standing start is above my riding comfort level. Maybe half of that, say a 125, would be a closer match to my level of skill.

Thought we were talking mo’cycles, fair point with the 600 cc machines. As for the riders who think they’re ready for more they’d be better off thinking again.

And sold out in just over 4 minutes.

Photos!

1 Like