KTM LC8 Torque Limiter Upgrade . Repair . Change . How to . clack clack noise

Putting this up here because the handy online guide that did exist for this appears to be gone . I can find no instructuons on the net about this job now . And as I had to do it that was a bit annoying … Soooo I took some piccys … And here it goes …like this . Curing the clack clack noise and start fails on early KTM 990 SD

Tools . Not to many couple of sockets . Pliers . Circlip pliers … and optional crimp hose clip pliers .

I drained the oil and incorporated an oil change into the job . So drain bolts and filter out . This is actuallly a pic of the new one installed and all oily with me mucky hands , It all clean now and looks just the same as the old one . So it dont really matter much .

The Kit comes complete at around £170 . All you need gaskets new cover etc . And oil in my case .

So cut the hold hose clip off and undo the bolts give it tap with the plastic hammer and it should pop a bit . Big magnet action so it sticks there too . Once its off pull out the clip that retains the wire with a pair of pliers . Do not lose …

Then take out the bolts holding the nice lump of copper and remove . Stick it to the bike so it wont hang on its wires or get lost .

The bigger part of the limiter gear just lifts off and the small part has a circlip and washer … You will need these again do not loose . It also rides on a bearing . Remove the bearing and place on the same part on you new casing . Put your new parts back on the new casing in same way as you took off the old ones reversed .

Old and new spot the difference game …

You will also need to transfer over the locators from the old casing . . So thats one bearing . one circlip and 2 locators added from the old to the new .

Put the copper back in … Reuse the clip from the old to fasten the wires in the new .

I put the locators in the engine so I could hang the new do not bend alloy gasket from while I lined up the casing .

Bit of faffing fighting the magnetics and a jiggle of the new gear with a screwdriver saw it slide home . Casing bolts in … Hose reconnected . They supply a crimp clamp . I have crimp clamp pliers well actually wire strippers but they do a nice job … If you dont have this use a normal hose clip .

When you finish you should have this left over …

I also had a bolt that came in the kit ? I never figured out what it was for its just a slightly shorter case bolt but I didnt see where it needed to go so I didn’t use it .

All Is well with mine … Job is as far as I can tell a good one … after finishing the oil change she fired right up with no CLACK CLACK ))

Its torqued :cool: about here too, with a not very good guide http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4375

I cant remember whether I used the new case bolt when I changed mine with the kit last year.

This wasnt a recall, but should have been as so many pre- 07 models suffered the problem.

Interesting ratchet/driver combo thingy…

I am a member there :smiley: . First place I looked . But when I click on the link to the " how to guide " I get nothing but the old error message ???

I did more or less the same post on the other thread about it . The one with the How to guide on welding it up option . So its got a couple of places folk mind find it . A little piccy or 2 of what your about to take apart is always nice :slight_smile:

Thats my high speed one handed bolt twiddler :smiley: