KNEE SLIDING

I AM TRYING TO TOUCH MY KNEES TO THE ROAD ON MY CBR600 F-X WHILE CONERING BUT SEEMS VERY DIFICULT. I DONT THINK ITS POSSIBLE WITH NORMAL DUNLOP TYRES. I MAY BE WRONG?

OR MAY BE I AM A **** RIDER

No it is entirely possible, it’s most likely all down to your riding position

There’s a good discussion giving advice on here somewhere from a week ago

here you go

http://londonbikers.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=37&MessageID=222252

hey it is possible on any bike on any tyrres if your going fast enough and are off the bike enough…BUT so what, its really only useful for track activity not for road use…otherwise just find a quiet roundabout and hang of the seat more and more until you touch down…it really isnt difficult and if you go track bound you will find it essential to post any really useful times…or to pass anyone.

Allegedly you can get 5 points for GYKD on the road…

Nope you can get the points for Careless and Inconsiderate or Dangerous driving, there is no specific offence of getting your knee down.

The key thing is the circumstances of your action; getting your knee down on a crowded roundabout in the middle of town is almost certainly going to see a charge of Careless and possibly dangerous driving,

Getting your knee down on a deserted roundabout in an empty trading estate at the weekend would be a hard issue for the police to prove a dangerous or even a careless charge. Don’t get me wrong they may well do it especially if there has been a complaint about noise etc, its a quick and simple way to deal with you. you’d also likely be convicted at magistrates court where the desire of the police is the primary concern rather than the law, if you took it to Crown Court on appeal you’d win unless there were some pretty damning evidence that you put others or your self at risk.

it is very difficult on the road mate - like the others have said, its either lots of speed and lean, or a very sharp corner. relatively far more risk on the road if you screw up than on track.

tyres can hinder you to a point - if they’re squared off they can be unsettled as they tip in and reduce confidence. touring orientated tyres have a flatter profile which are slower to tip in also. also check your tyre psi - makes a big diff to handling and grip

if you’re trying the roundabout option make sure you’ve had a bit of a blat to get some heat into the tyres, ideally get someone who can get their knee down to have a crack at the roundabout first so you’ve got a guage for speed and angle. concentrate on locking in the outside leg and relaxing the rest of your body. your inside leg should be loose and drag rather than pushing it out to the floor. a lot of people (myself included) start off twisting round the bike, esp on right handers. apparently its something to do with it being the throttle hand and protecting the strong side of your body subconciously.

Well I have a thundercat and Michelin touring tyres (Road Pilot 2’s) and dont really feel the bike being on edge when I have my knee down, but then I am a lanky geezer (6ft2) and can hang off more.

But everything everyone says above applies. See JB’s avatar, very good riding position, hanging off paralell and looking around the windscreen, do that, go faster and you will have it down no probs.

and just to prove you can get yer knee down on pretty much anything:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jB1Nu8XKjGY

even though he does drop it once…

cheers buddy

almost ironically after posting the above, put my knee down on the road for the first time today

was just heading off to the right via a small roundabout from dual carriage way onto another on the way out to the Bury meet from Boxhill and sccrrrrrchhhhhh

nice one!

Shows that when you have the right body position it all happens very naturally…

Exactly. Very often, the issue is body position more than corner speed or lean angle.

I’ve tried to collate some info on knee down and have put some of it together at http://www.getyerkneedown.com - I’ve got some more stuff to add when I get a minute, but any opinions on what I’ve got so far would be much appreciated.

Hope some of the info proves useful. It is why I made the site, after all!