Kind of sad news! :(

I’m only messing with you Arthur, If your mum is happy for you to have a scootah then get one, it’s better than no bike at all. prove to her that you can ride it and more importantly, ride it safely then when she’s happy for you to get a PROPER bike, go out and get an S1000RR and show her what danger really is!!! lol

Only messing, Keep your Mum Happy, Your still only 16 so you have a long way to go in your Biking “Career” so there is plenty of time to get a Manual bike. I’m 37 years old and i’m sure my Mum still worries every time she knows i’m on the Bike. She hated me getting my Full licence but in a way she was happy that i wasn’t riding Scramblers over the parks and fields near me anymore and i had been tought how to ride one properly on my Test.

We just agreed that I’ll do my CBT again but on a 125 manual now

It’s well worth booking a scootersafe course once you’re up and running too - not only will it improve your riding but it’ll show your family that you want to be a good, safe rider. I bet your mum would pay for it if you told her what it is - and you get a free dinner out of it :smiley:

http://www.bikesafe-london.co.uk/courses/scootersafe-about.html

Result :slight_smile:

They offer gear conversion courses which is probably a better option as you’re already expected to have the rest down. You should come out with more skills than just doing another CBT.

Its hard to deal with but you will always be your mum’s little boy. One of my neighbours behaves as though their son is 12 years old and needs looking after.
Fine, except he is 50 with three kids and runs a multinational company. May as well get used to it, it isn’t going to change:w00t:

Haha! This made me chuckle and cough on my lunch.

My mum was excited about it when I got my bike as well, hmmm must be an Aussie mum thing.

LOL. at your size and weight on ANY 125cc, you will have to be full throttle to go anywhere :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Oh trust me my mum will change cause I always get so angry when someone treats me like a 8 year old like I could wake up in te morning and when my mum sees me she could tell me “don’t forget to go for a pee cause it’s not good to keep it in” :smiley: I get soooo pissed off so she kind of has stopped treating me like a 8 year old but it’s still there :smiley:

She is probably right, common sense grows as you get older (specially for us guys). Just got my first bike a few months ago, never rode a bike before, if I’ve had gotten one at 16 I would have probably gone through a few serious injuries due to stupidity. At least you will have some wheels mate, got mine at 30. Don’t complain and be thankful that you won’t need to use the bus or tube that much. Silly mistakes can and will be made on a 50cc, 125cc, 600 or 1000cc, scooter or manual. it does not take too much speed to break your neck anyway.

cheers

She is only thinking if you get a scooter and come off your knees will be together to protecting your vagina more :smiley:

She’s seen those iron-dome scutah blankets that protect moped/scooter pansies against everything :slight_smile:

My mum was exactly the same - had to cover my ears when I told her I was thinking of getting a moped to commute to work on.
When my cat c moped was delivered for me to tinker with the abuse continued.
When I got my manual 125 leading up to my full license - more of the same.
I haven’t told her about my one ‘off’ which wasn’t that serious I could get away with it.

I think once she realised I was going to do it anyway shes accepted it or given up being so vocally against it…

That was until last week and someone zoomed past on an S1000RR and I told her thats my next bike - I got a years worth of abuse in the next 5 minutes :pinch:

My mom tried to be positive when I bought a bike but she was a bit sad really. With respect to the scooter vs geared bike I’ve had 125s of both as courtesy bikes, the latest being the MSX. If you want to ultimately progress to a geared bike then it will be a lot more beneficial to get a geared bike from the off. That MSX125 I had for a week, although it looked like I’d stolen it from a child it was a proper motorbike. The experience you gain in being in the right gear, rev matching and blipping on the down shift is directly transferrable to a bigger bike. So if that’s your aim then don’t lose out on valuable experience which you won’t get on a twist and go.

Tell me about it!.. I hired a 125 twist n go in Kos at Easter. At the end of the afternoon I’m not concentrating whilst pulling out of a junction and was in bike mode. There’s me giving it some revs whilst slipping the clutch… which of course isn’t the clutch but the back brake that I’m holding on. Obviously not much is happening, so muggins here gives it fistful of revs, dumps the ‘clutch’ (aka the rear brake :hehe: ) and does a wheel-spinning sideways slide out of the junction, almost dropping this new scooter with only a few miles on the clock, and looking like a complete cock in front of the locals and the military police officers who were sitting in their car pissing themselves laughing :blush:

Lesson learned… scooters are not for me!!! I’d stick with manual gears :cool:

PS - I’m 40 years old and my parents still don’t know I have a bike. I even wheeled it round to a neighbours a few years ago to avoid any awkward questions :smiley:

Ermm ok I have went and got a scooter! I decided I need a scooter and got a bargain deal so I just went for it and I took it round the block I honestly am happy cause I feel confident on it but I know on a manual I wouldn’t feel confident!
It’s a 2008 honda s-wing (I think) it’s really big and soooooo comfortable

Nothing wrong with a scoot… Practical things… But you will get the mick taken for the fact thy have space for ya handbag…

Seriously though, enjoy your new toy :smiley:

Fortunatley for me I was an ignorant child with all the emotional sense of a boat … So I was bombing around the roads of scotland on a KX250 at 12 yo … This was without any reward for doing so as they had not invented ASBOs then … I did this with no real recognition apart from grief from my mother , I thank her for that .

Yeah regarding the space it has when I come to meets I can pop my helmet in the top box and put 2 other lids under my seat :w00t:

I had an S-Wing. Great little scooter. Very practical, great weather protection, can get up to an indicated 74 which on the GPS was 68mph, loads of storage and easy to ride.

I bought brand new, I rode it for six weeks and did nearly 2000 miles. I then rode up to a test centre to ask if I could watch people doing the mod 1 test, the guy had just had a cancellation so he suggested I pay £15 and do the test on my scoot and treat it as a cheap lesson…I did everything he told me to and I passed :-). Did the mod 2 on the scoot the next day, riding through most of London to get to a test centre that had had a cancellation, and riding all the way as if I was doing the test, and passed. Immediately traded in the scoot for a 400cc :slight_smile:

Enjoy your new scooter, when people take the piss just laugh along with the banter.

well at least now you dont need a lift to come to the ace anymore :smiley: