ive been building a mk2 golf with a vr6 2.8 lump

I wish i kept my VR6 Vento as it was a great car.

looking good,shame thay dumped that feking old battle ship gray sv in the way:D:D

better than that fat hog bking in watford :slight_smile:

well we’ve gone back to square one and started a fresh ready for the 2012 show season. after many a months of shopping around for an engine we kept coming back to the same car and had to put a word across to mark to get him to say yes. He had built his mk2 with a vr6 same as the one we built but with a vortec supercharger on it so we had to have it with 300bhp. two months later the car still sell and we managed to convince mark to sell the lump anyway:D

over the summer we sourced

rear beam
front sub frame
hubs
calipers
discs and pads
goodridge lines 6 set
lower arms
steering rack
poly bushes all round
new wheel bearings

due to luke being an audio engineer he dyno matted the whole of the shell to kill the vibrations. we cut up his spare front bumper and put locating pins in to make it easier and quicker to gain access to the engine due to it going in and out pretty much every day. the old scuttle panel was battered from the engine changes of past so was cut out and various other brakcets and plates were welded up to clean up the engine bay but not to remove the oem lines.

the engine bay took alot more time and money than we expected but it would be worth while as we would be hiding the lighting and engine looms away from sight to show off the engine that bit more.

the colour of the bay will be all over the car next year but in the mean time itll be hidden away. hopefully this weekend ill get my driveshafts out and trial fit them in lukes hubs.

more to follow

Might aswell resurrect this old thread for joby.

So the black car was built and on the road for around a year then i noticed issues with the roof and decided to bite the bullet and send it off for a full respray. It all went down hill from here on with the roof skin being chopped off, shoddy work and 9 months of waiting with threats of never getting it back. I did finish it just to drive it but lost interest and laid the car up.

In its former glory then after finally getting it back i removed the terrible reskin job they did and started again doing it myself this time

So i managed to find myself another golf while mine was in a state of disrepair. Me and my friend always said we would want a polar silver gl and simply lower it on some nice wheels and have a cool grandad car. Well that opportunity came to me while looking on ebay one day and then 7 hours and £426 later i now own an 88 gl which has been laid up for 13 years.

It needed alot of work on the brakes and engine to get it through its mot but the car was rust free and completely original other than the gti front thanks to a minor sprang the previous owner had before storing it.

It was a fun daily car being a 1.8 auto it did the job but thanks to me the idiot of the car has to be lowered i put excess stress on the gearbox seals meaning i was losing gearbox oil on a trip to norwich one day the engine started to whine and instead of replacing the seals i saw it a great opportunity to start building the engine for it i had envisioned for it and set to buying the parts and doing all the research i could find on.

The engine was a combination of a mk2 gti cylinder head, mk3 golf gti bottom end with mk2 auxiliary parts and twin 40 dellorto carburettors but this is all old tech and proving difficult to do in 2015 as the old boys never had forums to post up build threads.

3 Likes

:+1:

After countless hours in the engine bay cutting and welding to make it as empty as possible i ended up with the end result i always saw for this car with as much as i could removed or relocated.

I finished the car with 4 hours to spare then went on a euro trip to the vw mecca of am worthersea in south austria. We stopped of in munich for the night then into austria to enjoy the mountain passes ans local countries. I managed to clock up over 3000 miles in 6 days but it meant doing the 910 mile trip home in 22 hours. There was around 4 more shows all within 6 weeks including one st quintin in france

1 Like

Unfortunately thats where it went wrong 96 miles from Calais i had a resr left blow out on a totally empty motorway where the car lost control and i was looking out of the passenger window heading into the armco. I managed to pin ball it off the barrier and ditched it into the grass verge. I was charged €180 for apparently speeding and then had to arrange recovery. Thankfully a car group was still local and staying another night put me up and took me home.

The car was finally brought back home privately as my European cover didn’t actually cover for an accident that didn’t involve another car. I swiftly had the car jigged and new parts fitting ready to start all over again.

1 Like

shit yeah I remember you posting about that crash! :frowning:

@shiver Jesus! blast from the past how the hell are you?

Was speaking to Gav about you a few months back

Having now lost my mode of transport I decided to pull the black car out of the garage from its hiding place and gave it another lease of life with fresh paint, the private reg i always had planned for it and after just a week i realised i had lost all love for it and knew i had to start all over again as this shell had been through too much.

What i wasnt expecting was another gold gl this time an 85 early spec “type 19” come up for sale so i made the hard choice to strip and scrap both golfs and start with a clean slate plus my son goes in the car so i wouldnt want to risk it.

Im good thanks ive finally recovered after my bike crash 5 years ago and then treated myself to another bike after 4 years off as there was no saving my rsv plus i found it boring anyway lol

So the story doesnt stop there i just wont bore you with the amount of work i put into the new car but it needed a fair amount of welding and new panels then for me to shave the bay weld and paint it myself.

This time the car was fitted with a 2.8 24v from a mk4 golf with air suspension, digital dash, full stainless custom exhaust, original tweed interior with harris tweed headliner i had made, custom brown seat belts and other little small details. Any new old stock parts i could find included: grill, all 4 badges including side repeater blanks, window rubbers, electric wing mirrors and silly little bits like clips and trims.

The wheels were rebuild using new parts and luckily I managed to get the centre straightened and machined to balance up.

2 Likes

You’ve been a busy boy!

Well as i always lusting for the harder to find and more expensive mk4 golf r32 engine I eventually found one in pieces missing alot of parts but it gave me a great excuse to rebuild it with new gaskets timing chains guides etc and all for the cost of just over a second hand unit needing a rebuild. The good thing is that the mk1 tt 3.2 shares the same parts so i managed to find a busted engine and took every nut bolt clip and parts from it to complete mine.

Once the engine was roughly there it meant pulling out the 2.8 which was only in for 6 months and while im at it repaint the engine bay, gearbox box and other parts to colour code it as im a tart like that.

Its been “complete” since march this year and i even managed to pick up another trophy at santa pod. Its the first trophy with this engine and goes with the other three i won last year for the previous setup.

2 Likes

look at the colour coordination between shoes, spark plug covers and t-shirt

3 Likes