Interested in why MV Augusta are doing so badly?

this made it make sense for me http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/precarious-state-mv-agusta/

such a shame when they make such nice bikes

They make very nice bikes but they haven’t been able to compete with bigger brands.

On the business side, I assume that debt restricting will only get them so far- eventually some fundamental shift will have to occur.

Interesting to see how well Audi have done with Ducati, although Ducati is a much stronger brand to begin with.
MV Augusta’s problem is they are too niche- most non-bikers known the Ducati/Triumph/BMW/Japanese brands and new riders often get tied into a particular brand of bike- when I started biking I only wanted a Triumph and all though that is no longer the case it was really what got me interested in riding bikes.

MV Augusta are bikes that only established bikers really know about- they only do a handful of models that appeal to the sporty market which is dwindling.
I know they have an road going adventure bike now but it is several years behind the Multistrada so no-one is buying it.
If you compare them to a another niche brand, KTM, the difference is pretty obvious- KTM have the offroad speciality thing nailed and their shift into sporty naked and touring type bikes was done pretty well.

I kinda think they will need something like a Piaggio or Audio takeover for them to get out of this slump.
Under AMG ownership they are floundering.

They make very nice bikes but they haven't been able to compete with bigger brands.

On the business side, I assume that debt restricting will only get them so far- eventually some fundamental shift will have to occur.

Interesting to see how well Audi have done with Ducati, although Ducati is a much stronger brand to begin with.
MV Augusta’s problem is they are too niche- most non-bikers known the Ducati/Triumph/BMW/Japanese brands and new riders often get tied into a particular brand of bike- when I started biking I only wanted a Triumph and all though that is no longer the case it was really what got me interested in riding bikes.

MV Augusta are bikes that only established bikers really know about- they only do a handful of models that appeal to the sporty market which is dwindling.
I know they have an road going adventure bike now but it is several years behind the Multistrada so no-one is buying it.
If you compare them to a another niche brand, KTM, the difference is pretty obvious- KTM have the offroad speciality thing nailed and their shift into sporty naked and touring type bikes was done pretty well.

I kinda think they will need something like a Piaggio or Audio takeover for them to get out of this slump.
Under AMG ownership they are floundering.

hogtrumpet

There not “under” AMG ownership

AMG have only 25% I think & not a controlling stake

I would think Daimler Benz would tread very carefully before they considered Buying a controlling stake in MV 

not that they cant afford to just the problem with MV is they are a niche brand that’s not very well known if you compare it Ducati as there main rival

Ducati was already a well know brand with plenty of screen time for everybody to know what they was about before their money worries got in front of them (but it was close) & the sale to the venture capital firm then onto Audi

MV doesn’t have half the amount of what Ducati had in terms of money & public awareness

Triumph was very lucky in the fact that had a billionaire for backing & the first bikes they launched was boring but saleable bikes to get established onto the bike market

I would love to have a MV but would I buy one probably not

Point taken, regarding ownership vs stake holding.I’d also love an MV- but I wouldn’t spend my own money on one.

I’ve always looked at ducati as the Ferrari of the bike world and MV as the Lamborghini, MV make the crazy quad pipe stunning bikes that are just like the crazy lambo designs and ducati make very pretty but safe super cars, if you have the money the safe bet is the Ferrari/Ducati but the bedroom wall poster cars/bikes will always be Lamborghini/MV

I've always looked at ducati as the Ferrari of the bike world and MV as the Lamborghini, MV make the crazy quad pipe stunning bikes that are just like the crazy lambo designs and ducati make very pretty but safe super cars, if you have the money the safe bet is the Ferrari/Ducati but the bedroom wall poster cars/bikes will always be Lamborghini/MV Marmablade
I thought you had Andrex stuk to your bedroom walls

nah, plastic sheeting. 

I would’ve loved to have a tourismo veloce but they’re a good £4k more than the tracer was. 

nah, plastic sheeting. 

I would’ve loved to have a tourismo veloce but they’re a good £4k more than the tracer was. 

me_groovy
And no way near as reliable, and likely to be left high and dry in terms of warranty.  That's the problem, I considered a Moto Morini many years ago, struggled with finding a dealer, and then they folded and raised phoenix like from the ashes a couple of years later.  I did also at the time look at a Benelli, they haven't gone titsup, but try finding a dealer.