Integrated Tail Light - Road worthy in UK?

Really quick question to the wise guys: Is it llegal to have the following integrated tail light fitted? https://tstindustries.com/In-Tail-Integrated-Tail-Light-CBR600RR-2007-2012.html

Just asking as I’m not sure if indicators need to be separated from the brake light

I was looking into getting one of these for my CBR as it looks so much better. These are definitely road worthy mate - buy it! 

Indicators should be a minimum of 240 mm apart

Illegal.

Breaches the Road Vehicle Lighting Regs 1989 which states the following distances between the lamps

A solo motor bicycle having an engine exceeding 50 cc and first used on or after 1st April 1986–

Front indicators:
300 mm apart

Rear indicators:
 240 mmapart

A solo motor bicycle having an engine not exceeding 50 cc and first used on or after 1st April 1986

Front indicators:
240 mm apart

Rear indicators:
180 mm apart
A motor bicycle combination first used on or after 1st April 1986:

400 mm

They’re not legal and not really very effectual, but you’re unlikely to have any problems with them unless you’re already being pulled up for something else. You’ll need a friendly MoT tester, or to be willing to swap it back each year.

Whether they look good is subjective. Their effectiveness as indicators is not though. Following a bike using one of these you just see a blur of amber and red. The “indication” function of the indicator is severely compromised. If your bike has a hazard switch you’ve just removed that function rear facing at least.

I think not legal but tolerated by some, is your answer.

SilveR6 will be along in a minute to tell you she’s never had any problems with them however it is worth noting that she also has standard ones.

Thank you all for your responses! Looks like i’ll stick to what i have or find a legal alternative.

if i had to live by the rules…i’d never leave the house.  :D

Good point

I think Pan had one of these and it did look good even though a couple of times I wasn’t sure where it was pointing.

I agree with Silver, you can’t play by the rules everytime but be prepared. After riding on my KTM with a plate that was only a bit more angled (attached it to rear plastic on an SMC), I got pulled over and had to pay £100 for that… It was a very harsh cop in my eyes as the plate was perfectly leggible. I think he just had a bug up his arse that day because his wife hadn’t given him a blowjob.

Also don’t plan on going to Wales. The fuzz carry rulers in their arsenal over there.

Alex what happened to you was borderline madness. Only you could be fined for not matching screws on your plate :smiley:

I look at these sort of things with the mind of if you indicate and a driver hits you because they didn’t see it, the court may use the illegality of the lights as reason to rule you’re at fault. 

I look at these sort of things with the mind of if you indicate and a driver hits you because they didn't see it, the court may use the illegality of the lights as reason to rule you're at fault.  me_groovy
Only if it can be proven on the balance of probability that the lights contributed to the cause of the crash.

In civil law, legality often has no bearing.  It all comes down to what is reasonable.

I think Pan had one of these and it did look good even though a couple of times I wasn't sure where it was pointing. Serrisan
yep i did

they did look good. but i did have to remove them during MOT just to be safe.

Note i havent bothered with the on the CB1R