This topic has been brought up before, but it was some time ago and was about renewals rather than a first bike.
- I’m 26
- Passed Direct Access a month ago
- Live in Stratford, London in a building with locked underground parking
- Interested in either a Honda CB650R (Brand New), Honda NC750S (Brand New), KTM 790 Duke (Ex-Demo)
- Dad works for Honda and can get me discount on new Honda bikes
- Using the bike for commuting
- Expecting to do under 7000 miles a year
I’ve been hunting around for a quote, but the fact that I live in Stratford/London is making the quote astronomical.
If I put the bike at my address, quotes are around £2200-£2500 for fully comp, £1000-£1800 TPFT. However, if I change the address to my parents in Wiltshire, we’re talking £600-£800 fully comp! All of these are with an excess of around £800, except for Aviva who will only offer Comp (they say because the bike is worth over £5k). Aviva’s excess is £325 for my quote.
The Insurers I’ve got quotes from are:
The following could not give a quote, but could when I changed the address to be my parents in Wiltshire:
- Carole Nash
- Motorcycle Direct
How does anyone start riding in London from DAS? I tried second hand bikes, same problem. I haven’t tried smaller bikes, but could give that a go… See plenty of bikes around London, but do most of them come from outside or something? I know theft is high (heard on TV 30 bikes get stolen every day in London), but these prices are just insane!
Any advice greatly appreciated!