Incorrect English - Your pet hate?

Although my English is far from perfect, I’m hearing and seeing a few errors that particularly cause me to raise an eyebrow.  

In written English, I’ve noticed people using the word " of " instead of the abbreviation " 've ", to replace " have ".  Example “He could of said sorry” instead of “He could’ve said sorry”.  

In spoken English, it’s common to hear people saying “…ink” instead of “…ing” at the end of some words.  Example “nothink” instead of “nothing”.

I could mention a few more, but maybe you have noticed them also.  So what bugs you guys?

Know your shit, or know you’re shit.

I agree, my English is not always 100%, especially on a forum which is in written form, but my real hate is Text speak.  I absolutely detest it but it seems to be used more and more these days.

Correct spelling does not seem to bother most people.

In spoken form, I just put it down to lazy poor diction, but the one thing that has really started to wind me up recently is the tendancy for English people (including the BBC) using the word Lootenant rather than Leftenant ( spelling is just to emphasise the pronunciation differences)

The BBC have used it several time recently (Lootenant that is) and I have noticed that it is creeping into the English language with people who should know better.

I hate the American influence that is starting to creep in to the use of our language.

What is th saying?  We invented the English language, the Americans screwed it up…:wink:

I have too many pet hates… From ‘of’ instead of 've to incorrect apostrophe usage. I also hate incorrect pronunciation of words like nucelar instead of nuclear or filum instead of film. 

However, one must always remember that language and grammar are not set in stone and they evolve. Therefore what you consider wrong today, may be the accepted form tomorrow. Each segment in society will adapt it for its own needs. 

The trick is being able to switch between writing like you’re sending a text and a formal business letter without anyone noticing.

Prostrate cancer? Image’s of people laying face down like a starfish! It’s prostate cancer not the former.

Cats

I hate that people say axe instead of ask.

My pet hate is wankers posting on LB as their cat.

Lol!
There was a spectacular failure on the apprentice last week about one of my favourites, the improper usage of ‘you’re’

To be fair most of what these ‘apprentices’ do is a spectacular failure… Applying in the first place would be one.

[quote]

Lol!
There was a spectacular failure on the apprentice last week about one of my favourites, the improper usage of ‘you’re’

silveR6
[/quote]

To be fair most of what these ‘apprentices’ do is a spectacular failure… Applying in the first place would be one.

Serrisan
your wrong about that!

see what i did there :slight_smile:

Axe instead of ask is annoying, and odd.
Draws. Chest of draws. Fuck off.

You also failed to capitalise appropriately. Poor use of capitals is the difference between helping your uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse!

I despise exclamation marks, especially when multiple exclamation marks are used at once. That just makes the author look like a child. In my industry people also say on-premise when they mean on premises which is really irritating. Also double negatives such as, “I didn’t do nothing,” or when people say something like, “no food, no water, no nothing.” I know that is just ignorance but it makes the person trying to articulate their point look really stupid.

Speaking of exclamation marks… My favourite bit of punctuation is the interrobang (?!). Just because of its name…

Grammar Nazis :slight_smile:

People pronouncing the letter H as haitch.

What!!!?!?!?

People pronouncing the letter H as haitch.
Longshanks
So you hate catholics, eh?

The fact that so many people don’t know the difference between licence the noun and license the verb. 

As my dear old father never once said “There’s only two kinds of people that have driving licenses, Americans and illiterates.”.

And then there’s people who go on to compound their ignorance by referring to ‘license plates’. This is the UK, we don’t even have licence plates, we have number plates or registration plates.