I'm worried about riding into central London

I’m going into Camden this morning. I’d like to take the bike, but with the very high risk of it being stolen when parked, and also the risk of being bike jacked by guys on scooters with hammers, machetes and bottles of acid, I’ve decided to take the train.

I just rode Wembley to Baker St, via Regents Park and v close to Camden, apart from a bit of drizzle nothing to report, it was all quiet :wink:

1 Like

I work in Camden at the moment and don’t get any hassle
but I do regularly see scrotes on scoots

1 Like

I’ve lived in Camden for thirty years - I’m still alive.

2 Likes

I do think all this is overblown somewhat.

There are probably 250,000+ bikes in London, 15,000 stolen a year is high, but not enough for me to stress over one off trips.

to be fair, he is riding a zx10r, not a CB125

I ride my speed triple and KTM in London, you just got to be weary but not scared.

Bike theft figures are roughly the same now as they was in the 90s
They way we find out is what’s changed a lot

1 Like

There ya go Aceman. Get yerself a Triumph & problem solved.

I think he needs some sort of self defense training to be more assertive

1 Like

Lol @ alba.

To be honest I get the sentiment. I won’t take the bike to my in laws anymore (Dagenham) and riding into London still makes me uneasy. I do think it’s because of moving out of London… It feels scarier than it is. But because I don’t have to make the trip, I also choose not to…

Just ride a cheap tatty bike that’s a good few years old. Then you’ll only get mugged for £12 a day by TFL…

Something like this perhaps? This link doesn’t seems to be still In business but there might be others?

It’s Camden, not Kandahar…

1 Like

@Wise do you have any facts to support your claim that crime is same now as in the 90’s?

@OP I regularly commute to central london on my cbr600rr and dont get too worried, just have to be weary of your surroundings at all times as you probably would in any normal ride.

you can find much more information you just have to do some research

My BMW is a cheap tatty bike that’s has 2 pluses
TFL cant grab the £12.50 a day Its Euro 3
The stats for BMW F800st thefts in London or anywhere are very low if not the lowest
last time I looked 3 have been stolen in London area in the last two years.

I’d love to know where you get that info from? I’m looking for a bike that is rarely stolen. However, maybe there have only ever been 3 BMW F800st’s in London and they have a 100% theft rate…

there’s an insurance website that tells you what bikes have gone
ill have to see if I can dig it out
& yes you don’t see many F800 ST around doesn’t mean to say there bad bikes

It turns out it’s not scummy Camden you need to worry about but posh St John’s Wood.

http://news.met.police.uk/news/appeal-after-knifepoint-watch-robbery-st-johns-wood-323473