I got rear ended, what happens now?

Hi T.C,
Thanks again for your advice and for clearing that up. I think for me a camera may well be on the cards in future then as I like to think that whilst not perfect, I’m at least generally well behaved, curteous and safe on the road so a camera would likely do me more good than harm.

You did indeed cover the injury part. The advice to think well before NOT claiming made me wonder if I’d missed something (entirely possible). So as I intend at the moment to only claim for my bike and helmet, not for any injuries, the option is still there for 3 years (with a more realistic timeframe being in the region of 6 months) to submit an injury claim.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I (and I’m sure the whole community on here) really appreciate it :+1:

Update:
Just had a phone call from plantec. After submitting my statement and photos of the scene and plantec having got a statement from one of the witnesses, the third party insurer has admitted 100% liability on behalf of their driver :raised_hands:

They will have my bike inspected sometime next week. I expect it to be a write off and if that is the case, at that point I’ll have to decide whether to keep it at salvage value and get to work on it, or go on the hunt for a new bike. In the mean time I will keep use of the hire bike (which, having received written confirmation that I won’t be pursued for any hire charges, I intend to do) until 7 days after the settlement.

As an aside does anyone have any experience on insuring a previous write off and if it’s likely to cost much more?

4 Likes

Pleased for you mate, and at least they have kept this nice and simple.

Depending on what category write-off they issue it might not be that bad, they could find it is just the plastics which make it to expensive to repair and the rest is fine. Selling a written off vehicle in general will have a niche market though and even more so for a motorbike so seriously consider if it is worth the headache.

Thanks mate, I’m pretty pleased they admitted liability so quickly!
I suspect, as per what T.C said, that without evidence of bad intent on my part they had no choice but to admit 100% liability. I’m sure the hire bike charges also helped focus their minds.

From what I could see on my bike I suspect it’ll be a Cat N write off. If that is the case I could probably get it back on the road again for around £200 if I leave the cosmetics and make only essential repairs.

My thinking is that on the assumption that my premiums are about to go up anyway because of this accident I could use the leftover money to go towards the increased premiums, but if insuring a Cat N will also add substantially to the premiums going forwards it would definitely be a false economy in the long term.

Once you get your settlement, the hire bike needs to go back immediately.

Any days after that are your private hire. Plantec tried to fuck me with that.

2 Likes

Thanks for the warning.
She just said I’ll have it for 7 days afterwards so I’ll make sure I ask the right questions before that happens and I’ll tread carefully :+1:

Yer McShames did the same to me, took F***ing ages, as soon as it was ready they were calling on the hour every hour to get the loan bike back…

With the level of bike thefts being what they are in London buying your write off back as salvage and keeping it as a used and abused commuter makes sense to me as it will have less kerb appeal and be less attractive to thieves.

Check any grace period between settlement and return of hire bike, different agreements contain different terms. For example, its not reasonable to expect a replacement to be purchased on the day the settlement is made. However you will be expected to make an effort to check the market place before settlement, if you see something you like you can always request a part settlement or settlement of the bikes value in advance of the full settlement.

Do you have a claims handler and are they advising you with regard to claiming for riding kit and personal injury etc.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly, I think I’ll spend my next day off searching for insurance quotes, that should decide it for me.

Yes, she basically said if you’re not doing an injury claim to add it onto just send us a picture of your helmet (ahem) and a receipt, but it’ll take a few months to get the money back.
I think my jeans had the worst treatment from when I landed and not even a mark on them. In Hood I now definitely trust.

As with all safety kit, check what the manufacturer says about warranty (advice after crash). Helmet is replace even if no visible damage.
Consider if Jeans may be weakened on the seams so not stand up to the same treatment a second time.

Remember this was a non fault accident on your part so you should be put back in the same position as you were before it happened. You shouldn’t have to now accept using damaged kit.

1 Like

Thank you, a good point well made about the jeans.
I’m pretty confident they’re still sounds as the actual protective layer isn’t really attached to the denim outer except for at the ankle and waisband, kinda like a free floating pair of kevlar long johns.
I’ve always found the owners more than helpful though so now that you’ve made me think I’ll send them a message and ask, can’t be too careful :+1:
And even though the lid doesn’t appear to be damaged I’ve already decommissioned it and taken the opportunity to upgrade and I’m claiming back the cost of the old lid. New one’s much quieter :grinning:

Remember what I said in my earlier post about your kit?

Kit is designed to be protective once. If you are involved in a non fault crash you are entitled to have it replaced like for like. Even though it may not appear damaged (happens a lot with helmets) the safety and protection afforded by your kit post crash has now been compromised.

The damage was not your fault and you are entitled to be put back into the financial position you would have been in but for the negligence of the third party.

I also said do not try and claim for more expensive kit than you were using.

Once liability has been admitted by the third party and costs have been established (kit for example) you should get this payment almost immediately, otherwise if you are being required to fund your new kit before settlement, then tell your claims handler you wish to claim for the lost interest.

They will say you can’t do that, tell them they are talking total b@llocks, you are not required to be out of pocket.

I really must repost my crash case studies regarding kit back up here one some time…

1 Like

Hi T.C
I do remember what you said but assumed you were talking about the helmet, I didn’t realise your advice extended to all the protective kit I was wearing. I’ll heed your advice and add my jeans and gloves to the claim as well as the helmet (my jacket was a £30 sale job from J&S and the receipt is long gone, hardly worth the bother.) I’ll also claim for the cost of replacement mounts needed to move my cardo into the new helmet.

I’ve already bought the new helmet as I don’t have any others I’d be comfortable using so I couldn’t wait for a replacement. The original one was always incredibly noisy so I took the opportunity to upgrade, but I only intend to claim back the cost of the original helmet. In any case the pictures I sent to Plantec include my helmet on the kerb so I doubt it would work even if I WAS that way inclined. I’ve no intention of being dishonest in the slightest, apologies if my post made it sound different, it was a long day.

Even a £30 sale job from a sale is worth claiming, just get an estimate for a like for like replacement, You do not need a receipt, think of it as an old for new policy.

J & S as the retailer should be able to quote you for a direct replacement. Nobody is expecting you to produce a receipt for something you may have had for a few months or a few years.

1 Like

Being new to all this I assumed they’d need to know whether it was a full moon when I bought it and which way the wind was blowing. Thank you for setting that straight. I’ll email J&S customer services and see if they can quote for a replacement.

I know I’ve said it before but I know this stuff is your bread and butter and I do really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

I think (and could be wrong) that there is something akin to a statute of limitations on injury accidents. Surely you must have had some bruises?
I have had a number of shunts - and it would seem that one of them fractured a vertebra in my nect. No idea which one though - and it wasn’t checked at the time. If you have any issues in the next few months get yourself checked.

@TCP Read my first post :roll_eyes: :wink:

I explained all that

Guilty of not reading things properly - apologies!

Update:
I’ve emailed Planted with photos, receipts and replacement costs for my kit, claims handler replied she has forwarded my emails to third party insurer but needs to advise me that the claim for my kit will take “considerably longer” and I’ll “receive the bike payment first” (implies my guess of it being a write off is correct.)

In anticipation of it being a write off I’ve looked at the used bike market, it’s gone absolutely mad. It looks like stock shortages have pushed used bike prices through the roof. I saw a 5 year old CB125F for sale at only £50 less than RRP. The advert sales pitch was “Well you can’t find a new one, so you’ll just have to buy this”

Looking at insurance quotes it also looks like after being hit by a car it’ll cost me £160pa more than last year for the pleasure, even with the years NCB. Almost £1000 TPFT to insure an 11 yr old £1500 bike. Or £500 TP and if it gets stolen, you’re on your own. Makes me wonder if it’s all worth it.

Welcome to the insurance market. I once had a car written off and I was 10 miles away when it happened! following year my premium still went up, figure that one out?

There is a compound of issue for bikes, generally 125’s hold the value anyway as they are entry level and deliveroo’s best friend so someone will always buy it.
Other reasons, ULEZ and Congestion charge, most smaller bikes are pretty much exempt, would have to be pretty old to fail (we’re talking 15+(ish) yrs).
I suspect covid has pushed people on to PTWs as well not wanting to go onto public transport, and These are generally cheaper to run than a car, and certainly save alot of time in comparison.
The finally, as you say, shortage of stock…

2 Likes