How much are window shutters?

while not worth anything like what the vendors will have paid to have them made, they are still worth something if fitted to a close to standard window reveal. The frame can be resized a cm or two each way without looking absurd and likewise the shutters themselves can be trimmed slightly.

£250 would be a fair price for them

£1000 in not an unreasonable ask from the seller’s perspective because they do cost a huge amount to have custom made as it isn’t a quick job and are good quality materials. That’s provided they’ve been transparent throughout as to what’s included. Likewise, if you go on facebook right now the cost of sheds used is quite high, this is because of new shortages up until recently and because everyone now wants a shed. I’ve always bought my sheds used in the £50-£150 range though, but again currently I’d expect to pay double that

Whether or not you think the blinds are practical or not is a different matter. Sure, they’ll go out of fashion again within 10 years and you’ll end up removing them so the house doesn’t look dated. I’ve always liked plantation shutters personally, and I’d have them in the street facing rooms of my house if I could be bothered to spend a few days making them.

If you want them, and it’s the kind of thing you’d end up paying to have made anyway, I’d make a firm final counter offer of £250 - it’s reasonable for both parties. If it’s not something you like, or you would quite as happily install a venetian blind then there’s your answer

Thanks for the information. I’ve replied to the estate agent and said I didn’t want to purchase anything on the list. He’ll like that as it’s less work for him. Considering the overall cost of the house I think we’re down to splitting hairs and I don’t want to get involved in that. I’ll let you know if they are there when I move in, in a few months.

Slow-Ride do you make them? Maybe we can work something out if they are removed.

To bring this back to bikes… it’s like selling a bike with modifications

The sum cost of mods will not match the increase in overall price. Just because you paid X for a particular add-on, does not mean I would have
Mods can be used to haggle a better overall price BUT
Should be clearly labelled as optional / in addition to asking price, if they might be removed
Removal of mods shall be with appropriate replacement done in an competent manner
Not everyone likes the mods you put on your bike
Mods can also detract from price if are stylistic but lack in function
Not every ‘non original part’ is a modification

Can’t see them taking fitted bits as they won’t fit new house. So just make them a cursory offer - £100. You can do that outside of the formal contract etc. once the contracts are exchanged.

Ps. When’s the house warming?

1 Like

July maybe. Will need to source a barbecue first.

This is a must or don’t bother sending me an invite!! :rofl: :rofl:

I have a good idea what you can use to light the BBQ

2 Likes

Good luck with the purchase completion :+1:

In a previous life I was a carpenter, I still moonlight now and again but only to keep my skills sharp and to help friends in the trade when they are in a pinch. Mainly making fitted wardrobes etc. Plantation shutters are okay to build in a batch once you’ve knocked up a couple of jigs, but I’d have always charged over £500 a window to make these - more like £700 in London. While on the high side, I learned the hard way that installation time can really cost. In the end, two installation visits saved me time, so a first visit to install the frame, and only when they were done do you then start making them! That said, it’s not a job I particularly enjoyed doing so I will have to politely decline if it’s all the same. I think there are places that will build the plantation shutters to measure on a production line (the same can be done with fitted wardrobes too) and then you just need to install yourself/hire a recommended chippy - this may be the best combination of price and quality

When renovating my own house, I didn’t build the fitted wardrobes per se, but I bought fitted wardrobes that people were selling (similar to what your vendor is doing) that were a close enough match to the run I had to fill, then I would come back and build them into the space with an extra end cabinet and top boxes as required. In my spare room I picked up a run of fitted wardrobes a guy in Hounslow had paid 5k to have done a few years back and he sold them to me for £80 :partying_face: This is my favourite method as veneered mdf and soft close hinges don’t come cheap :slight_smile:

As for the blinds in my place, I am fortunate that my mum is pretty good with a sewing machine so I buy old roller blinds with material I don’t love and then she uses the hardware combined with the old fabric as a template to make me stuff I like.

1 Like

Don’t forget a Gazebo in case it rains.

4 Likes

Posted reported for using the G word…

2 Likes

Whatever happened to the gazebo Jay was selling?

Whatever happened to Chaos?

Haven’t seen him for a few years. He was in good form last time though. Clever chap and a stand up guy.

Did he make it to being a barrister?

Yes he did

Our vendors tried to take the piss, we just didn’t bother to engage, they left pretty much all the blinds and light fittings except for the kids curtains.

Now when we come to sell, I will be taking some of the light fittings and fans with me. I’ll put back the standard ceiling roses.The blinds however won’t be coming. I’ll also talk to the buyer about the smart switches, as they don’t use any web services and what they would like to do about those.

On the plus side, you’ll have a data cabinet in the under-stairs cupboard and a house fully wired with CAT6E LSZH and FTTP ready to go

I saw this thread and thought of you.

So the house finally completed today. I went to the house and all the shutters are still there. So that was as result. Saved a grand and got the same outcome.

Not sure what the moral of the story is. Make specific fittings a condition of your offer maybe?

4 Likes

Or as a seller make clear what stays or not…

1 Like