How many of us will admit to riding without proper gear when....

I’ve smoked for 20 years at an average of 20 fags a day at an average price of £3.50 a pack. The taxes on these are close to 50%. So - 20 x 365 = 7300

7300 x £1.75

Total £12,775 and thats being conservative.

I have private medical cover also - paid into it for years and years - unlike most NHS migrants which come over to use the NHS and sod off - ive done nothing but pay in and not take out.

I think the £12,000 will take care of the NHS ambulance and the rest will be paid for privately via my insurance - they’ll be no cost to anyone.

I get your point though - but as i said, my commute rarely sees me hitting 30mph - the danger is from being run over - no amount of protection is going to save you from that. Weekends are different - i have full leathers, back protector, knox armour, boots, gloves the works.

PS - i wont be a burden in my old age either as im emigrating in less than 12 months and as for my state pension? I have a private one as ive opted out.

Pain is just weakness escaping your body!

This post is about riding with little, or no protection while on a hired “holiday” scoot rather than regular commutes. If you think 30 mph isn’t a problem I invite you to find a quiet stretch of road , get yourself up to 30 mph then jump off your bike in shorts and t-shirt…then tell me it’s no a problem at that speed. Few “offs” result in the rider being taken out by another vehicle - most result in injury to some degree or other. Wearing the right gear reduces these injuries in most cases.

Your 12k on fags won’t get anywhere near the cost of treatment of smoking related disease - does your private policy have no clause in relation to this?;):slight_smile:

I know what this post is about and thats why i put in my 2 cents worth - You invited people to admit to riding without the proper gear - I didnt think I was too far off the mark when i owned up to having done it in this country.

I dont think its really on inviting people to admit fault just so you can rip them to shreds if you dont like what they say - but I guess this is where your freedom of speech is justified over my freedom of choice.

As far as smoking related diseases are concerned i dont know if my policy covers them (probably not) but judging by the amount I pay and the fact that I was already a smoker when I took out the policy I think it probably does. Either way I wont be in the UK so it wont be a burden onto anyone…least of all the UK tax payer.

I have fallen off plenty - as stated in my previous post - and OK i’ll admit that the speed was more like 20-25mph instead of 30mph but every time it was cuts and bruises. I cant think of a space anywhere along my daily commute which affords me the luxury of sliding for more than 5m before coming into contact with a car. Lets not forget that the faster you go the more you skid and the slower you go the more you tumble. i.e. no 1 contact point for an extended period.

I know the risks i take sometimes - and as i said the consequences will not financially burden anyone.

Let me ask you this - is it right that Seikhs can get away with a turban instead of a helmet? Do you not afford to them the priviledge of choice on the basis of their religion? Do we seriously think that a bunch of wound up cloth is as strong as a carbon fibre lid?

Some people drink, smoke, and ride their bikes without the proper gear - freedom of choice. I wont preech to anyone. I know its careless but sometimes… I like to do my own thing. I reckon we’ve all done but were too afraid to stick our necks out.

PS - For the record, just because i dont wear the right gear at times please dont assume I ride in shorts and t-shirt.

I’m looking at hiring a bike for the day in the States this summer. I reckon I’ll take along a full face from Aldi/Lidl (gotta be better than some nazi p!ss pot they’re sure to loan me), some summer gloves and an armoured shirt. I’ll leave the helmet there and pack my bags with contraband for the return journey.

:smiley:

I’ve done it a few times on holiday. Riding in just shorts. And usually on some chicken-chaser poor excuse for a scooter as well.

But having seen what I did last Thursday, I would certainly think twice before doing it again.

Tom.

The level of safety offered by my kit is only of importance to me and me family.

Calling a random biker a tosser because they ride in a t-shirt is bordering on fascistic. It’s also weirdly common among bikers, the very people you’d imagine to be most supportive of personal freedoms. Why is that?

Some sense after all - couldnt have put it better mate.

if you can drink , smoke and ride a bike all at once your a Hero.theres a challenge for all you would be stunters :hehe::cool::w00t:

I just put a new speedo cable on my bike and tested it round the block a couple of times minus the textile jacket - must admit it felt loooovely, ubt I’m not gonna make a habit of it…

Nipped to Homebase with just Jeans and T Shirt on… (gloves on!) Not big or clever!! felt very weird… A first for me… PS: This is the same day that my friend got rear ended on his BMW Enduro wearing full kit… scary!!! just broke his wrist!

He flies too…Why do you think he’s called BumbleBee :laugh: