How many of us will admit to riding without proper gear when....

We go on holiday to Greece or Turkey etc etc and hire a scooter for a few days? Yes, they give a helmet with the bike - not one you’d want to depend on - but that’s it:) I have to admit to having done it although I never do it at home…Maybe I think the roads are kinder on the skin in “holiday” countries:w00t:

YESTERDAY I WAS WEARING JEANS BUT HAD MY BIKER JACKET ON PLUS BOOTS

When I was 19 (was it really 13 years ago :unsure: ) I went to Greece and rode round on a scooter in shorts and vest with no helmet - but I had no experience of riding properly then.
Probably wouldn’t be so keen now tho ! :pinch:

Rode a mile or so on private land recently without helmet, gloves or jacket. What a wierd sensation and quite worrying despite the very modest speed.

Scares me sh*tless thinking that I’d once go the the coast and back dressed that way at immodest speed.

Don’t even feel happy without the arrmoured trousers these days.

Bet I’d still be bl**dy fool on holiday though, given the chance.

I left my gloves in a friends car a while ago and had to ride back to their house to get them - Wont be doing that again as i was constantly worried id stack it… cant even contemplate what it’d be like without a helmet… those idiots in the states or elsewhere riding without helmets deserve anything that happens in my mind… why even RISK it?

been riding without a helmet when I was a 12 or 13, off-road though

Only wore jeans in South Africa and that was for 20 years of riding, but always wore leather jacket and gloves.

In 1999 I came off on the motorway at 100km/h and after spending a week off work with a dislocated shoulder and road rash I climed back on the bike with a new pair of jeans. Stupid huh

Bought my first pair of leather pants when I came to UK and have never worn jeans since.

when i went to tunisia years ago i went on soem quad bikes with my mates.

trainers / jeans / tshirt / half face lid that had seen better days…

and to top it off… i flipped the quad, sprained my ankle and grazed part of my back :crazy:

When I was 15 (Many moons ago) I didn’t have the “Proper” gear, But got away with it. I never heard from her again, so I don’t Really know?.:wink:

When on holiday i do ride a bike without a jacket and gloves.

thats a bit pointlessly harsh…its called freedom, freedom of choice…something that this country lacks in droves…

ibiza last year…

I’ve just spent a few days up by the North Yorks Moors; yup, although I have a trike and it’s legit to go helmetless, I admit to doing a lot of riding without a helmet there. I wore proper jacket and trousers… can’t say the same for my pillions, who wore as little as possible right down to the flip-flops.

It felt pretty damn good to be honest, but maybe that’s the effect of 3 wheels rather than two. Perhaps I was a bit more cautious if on an A road with sun-maddened numpties in their cages. It was extremely pleasant to cruise along at 55 or 60 with the wind in the remnants of my hair, though.

Never been on holiday were I have hired a bike or scooter. I think that if I was going to do that I would take my own gear.

I’m guilty of doing this in Spain.

Was in Thailand last year and, in 2 weeks, saw about 20 scooter injuries, all tourists in shorts and t-shirts.

I may have posted this before but: The amazing thing about Thailand is that if you are a foreigner and you have an accident on a scooter, bike or car it is deemed to be your fault even if the other rider/driver was actually at fault, and you pay all damages! Their logic states that if you hadn’t been visiting the country, the accident would never have happened!

Never been on holiday were I have hired a bike or scooter. I think that if I was going to do that I would take my own gear.

Kevsta
I guess if you’ve never done it this posting doesn’t apply to you…I have to say that carrying all my gear half way round the world just to dress up and boil on a 50cc scoot (to say nothing of looking like a total kn+b) is just totally out of the question.

I have no doubt I will do it again - riding style adjusted to suit - and have to say, it does feel good to ride in HOT weather with no gear…Stupid? Probably:)

I grew up in Italy and back in those days you didnt even need a helmet. OK so I only had a scooter but it could still do about 65 - 70mph.
I fell off plenty but got away with nothing more than a slight graze (apart from that time i broke my leg but even proper gear wouldnt have saved me!)
Biking is inherently dangerous compared with other forms of transport - I think thats part of the thrill - I never used to care about proper gear, then i was all for it…lately though, I think people should do what they want. In London I rarely get above 30mph - if you fall off here its not the speed that kills you but the car behind going over you and theres not a jacket, glove, boots or trousers in the land that will help you there.
I mean - where do you stop? Should we have seatbelts, airbags everywhere etc etc LOL
As of today I’ve decided to wear what I damn well please when commuting - I just pootle along anyway. Come the weekend I’ll suit up good and proper as the speed is likely to cool me down anyway despite how hot, dehidrated, sticky and thirsty I get.
Pass judgement by all means - but the law gives us a choice and am all for retaining that small amount of freedom this nanny state still trusts us with.

they ‘deserve’ to be hurt? you nonce

I grew up in Italy and back in those days you didnt even need a helmet. OK so I only had a scooter but it could still do about 65 - 70mph.
I fell off plenty but got away with nothing more than a slight graze (apart from that time i broke my leg but even proper gear wouldnt have saved me!)
Biking is inherently dangerous compared with other forms of transport - I think thats part of the thrill - I never used to care about proper gear, then i was all for it…lately though, I think people should do what they want. In London I rarely get above 30mph - if you fall off here its not the speed that kills you but the car behind going over you and theres not a jacket, glove, boots or trousers in the land that will help you there.
I mean - where do you stop? Should we have seatbelts, airbags everywhere etc etc LOL
As of today I’ve decided to wear what I damn well please when commuting - I just pootle along anyway. Come the weekend I’ll suit up good and proper as the speed is likely to cool me down anyway despite how hot, dehidrated, sticky and thirsty I get.
Pass judgement by all means - but the law gives us a choice and am all for retaining that small amount of freedom this nanny state still trusts us with.
This’ll be the same nanny state that you’ll be happy to pick up the tab when you skin alive yourself?? It will also be the one we pay our taxes to - to pay your repair bill:w00t: You don’t see many people jump out of a plane without a parachute - is that freedom of choice or common sense?:slight_smile:

I’ve smoked for 20 years at an average of 20 fags a day at an average price of £3.50 a pack. The taxes on these are close to 50%.

So - 20 x 365 = 7300

7300 x £1.75

Total £12,775 and thats being conservative.

I have private medical cover also - paid into it for years and years - unlike most NHS migrants which come over to use the NHS and sod off - ive done nothing but pay in and not take out.

I think the £12,000 will take care of the NHS ambulance and the rest will be paid for privately via my insurance - they’ll be no cost to anyone.

I get your point though - but as i said, my commute rarely sees me hitting 30mph - the danger is from being run over - no amount of protection is going to save you from that. Weekends are different - i have full leathers, back protector, knox armour, boots, gloves the works.

PS - i wont be a burden in my old age either as im emigrating in less than 12 months and as for my state pension? I have a private one as ive opted out.