Heaven Scraper!

I think I am going to introduce a new name into our Vocabulary.

Heaven Scraper… :hehe: Its all done in the name of progress/ statement of power.

http://gizmodo.com/photogallery/amazingburj/1003229193

Just imagine, You get to your apartment door! SH*T you forgot to get the milk! :smiley:

Attachments

Picture-2--8589823541800395808.png

I spend a little bit of time in Dubai throughout the year and this building continues to amaze me. Unless you go past the base of it, it is seriously difficult to appreciate just how tall it is.

Apparently they have a regular fall of workmen off the top !

I may have the numbers wrong but one of the engineers was telling me (late one night in a bar) that there is a built in sway of 1ft per 100metres high. This has something like 9ft of sway at the top.

Sod forgetting the milk, what about the stugeron! :w00t:

Wow, now thats tall! Ive been invited out to Dubai by a friend whos now working out there, THAT should be something to see in the flesh :smiley: The building that is, not him!

That’s awesome :w00t: couldn’t be living at the top tho 0 0

Awesome! I love seeing things like this every now and then on the Discovery Channel!

9ft of sway… hrm, but do you feel it? I suspect not otherwise people wouldn’t be too fond of living/working in it? Depends how quickly it moves as well and whether the horizon changes (noticably) or not.

Would take a while to get down to your bike, unless you were good at base jumping (omg).

extraordinary is all i can say. wow.

All tall building are subjected to a ‘swaying’ movement. They usually have a counterweight or ballast at the top, to slow the moment down. You’ll never notice the movement.
Trust me, I’m an Architect :wink:

Once Dubai runs out of oil, all they’ll have is the tourism.“The tower, at its tallest point, sways a total of 1.2 m (3.9 ft).”

“If it doesn’t bend it’ll break”. - quoting every Physics teacher for the last century at least…

Me, I’m fortunate to never to have lived higher than the ground floor. I’d hate to do otherwise, and I have full sympathy for those who do and don’t like it.

Too many people, too little space. :frowning:

…GGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiimmmmm

ooooooooooooooooooo…

:smiley:

if this is the building I think it is, it costs either £1million per floor, or £1million per hour to build I cannot remember which it was though.

but they have some special equipment that slowly moves up, you poor in the conrete it sets, then it moves up again where you put in more concrete and so on…

Amazing how things are done these days

more info here

and this is the projected height

think how long it takes to run 800metres! thats about half a mile!

and i doubt you will run in a straight line (i.e upwards!) :w00t:

im waiting for someone to suggest jumping off it (with one of those flying costumes or a parachute of course…)…no wait…that was trashpuppy :slight_smile:

BASE Jumpers are already targeting Burj Dubai to achieve world record jumps. There are 2 documented attempts, one by a 36-year-old British jumper and another by a 47-year-old French jumper. The latter’s attempt was hindered as he was arrested before jumping, whereas the Briton was successful in his jump, but was arrested upon landing. His altimeter showed a jump from over 600 m (1,969 ft)

http://www.7days.ae/showstory.php?id=72989

A British man has leapt from the Burj Dubai to successfully complete the world’s highest BASE jump from a building - and promptly landed himself a date in court next week. The 36-year-old adventurer clambered up 150 floors of stairs without being spotted by security guards before leaping with a parachute just after 5am as dawn broke. He was arrested soon after landing.

“The Burj Dubai is the world’s tallest building and is a marvel of the world. I wanted to honour it, Emaar and Dubai by jumping safely from it,” he told 7DAYS. “I’m a sportsman, not a criminal. I’m responsible for my actions, but I’m regretful of any trouble it has caused the Dubai authorities as this wasn’t my intention.”
The man, who wished to remain anonymous until his court case, added: “I have over 250 BASE jumps and many more skydives. All my jumps are planned carefully to minimise any risk to myself, anyone else and the object that I’m jumping from.” Officials at Public Prosecution said the man was arrested following last month’s jump and is due in court next week charged with illegally entering a property.
He could face one year in jail and a fine of dhs5,000. “His helmet had a video camera to record his jump. He didn’t try to get permission from Emaar because he was afraid that they would reject his request. He wanted to enter the ‘Guinness World Records’,” a source close to the case said. “He came to the UAE specifically to do the jump. His altimeter said he jumped from a height of more than 600 metres.”
Defence lawyer Hamdan Al-Harmi, a partner in Al-Sharif Advocates, maintained that his client was not guilty of anything. “Jumping from a building is not a crime because my client is professional and was secured,” he said. “He has done many jumps before and he knew what he was doing. It is not a crime to enter an under-construction building and he didn’t know that it was forbidden to do so. He had no evil intentions.”
A second BASE jumper, a 47-year-old Frenchman, was arrested last month at the tower with his parachute equipment as he also attempted the feat.
He was stopped before he jumped and has also been charged with illegally entering a building. The term BASE jumping is derived from the four categories of fixed objects from which a parachute jump can be made - building, antenna, span and earth.

Extreme! :smiley:

Amazing building, would love to abseil off that! :w00t: What The Sleeper is talking about is called Slip-Forming. The process involves using huge steel plates, which are greased and move extremely slow, allowing the concrete to set whilst continuing to pour more concrete on top. I know this because I worked for Kier Construction in Devonport Dockyard in 1996, where we were making a reinforced, nuclear blast-proof, concrete filled caisson (kind of like a giant plug that is floated in and out of place at the end of the dry dock). The build included a three day slipform, which was going fine when I left the company, on the second day of the pour. I went back about four months later to find the caisson still sat in the middle of the dry-dock, looking not much different from when I had left it! When I asked why it was still there, and why they hadn’t fitted all the steel plating and stuff, I was told to look at the top and sides of the structure. It was then that I realised that it was about a foot shorter than it should have been, and had huge grooves up the sides of the concrete. This was due to one of the engineer’s mis-caculating the amount of concrete due to be used in the pour, and also not ensuring that the workers had actually greased the plates!. Hence the reason that they got to the last foot or so and ran out of concrete trucks, and had huge gouges in the concrete! :w00t: Funnily enough, the guy who I had popped by to see was the exact same bloke that had made the mis-calculation and wasn’t with the company anymore! :stuck_out_tongue: Slip-forming is not a new method by any means, but it’s also very reliant on keeping the plates moving smoothly. And, once you start, you can’t just stop because that would leave you with weaknesses in the structure! :wink: