Hastings Auto Renewed My Insurance without asking me first...grrr

…and here was me thinking that was illegal now - ie they have to give you 14 days notice of renewal?

A sit turns out it wasn’t too bad a rate but it pisses me off they didn’t ask first…

…Gonna go through my Ts&Cs and turn off auto renew for next year (they hide the option really well)

Cheeky baskets…grrr

I had that with an insurer a couple of years ago,forget who, didn’t realise I had it on auto re-new. Come renewal I switched to a more competitive insurer because they were half price. Wife asks why I have two premiums phoned them and cancelled but it wasn’t so straight forward. They wanted to charge me for cover between the renewal and cancellation unless I could provide them with ‘good cause’, their words not mine, for the cancellation and proof that I had not used their cover.

I sent them a copy of the quote and cover note from the insurer I went with which was about one third the cost of their renewal which incidently had doubled year on year. I claimed this to be ‘good cause’ to switch. I’m not entirely sure of the legalities of the refund here, whether it was the 14 day distant selling thing, because they never issued a reminder or the unfair hiking of the price I don’t know but I got a full refund.

2 Likes

I got off off lucky then because the renewal was only a few quid more than the cheapest on MCN compare.

Boils my asparagus though that they do this.

I heard a little old lady’s son visited her and caught sight of a letter with the home insurance quote and nearly fell over when the bill was about £1500 when the going rate was around £150…

Turns out she had been with the same insurance co for years and every year they had upped it by 10% to 20% , auto renewing (and all without telling her)…she had signed the direct debit years ago and was none the wiser (or thought that that was the going rate).

Son got onto ombudsman and the local paper…result?

Insurance co had to refund 15 years of premiums plus interest…result!

If they can get away with it, they can! Grrrr

1 Like