handle bar locks

after thoughts one something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qiilu-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Anti-theft-Motorbike/dp/B071ZV5R1F/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527798838&sr=8-3&keywords=handlebar+lock

don’t really see many on bikes I’m making the assumption this is because they are about as useful as a chocolate teapot! but wondered if anyone on here uses one or has thoughts on them?

It’s easy to get passed by cutting the brake line, though I’ve never tried to cut one so don’t know how tough they are.

At best they are as good as a disk lock, though I suppose you can’t ride of with these still on

And for half the price, you can buy this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0761STJ82/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?psc=1

There’s no way you can forget this is on, like a disc lock, and make an expensive mistake riding off.

Easily defeated with a spanner by loosening a brake line or bleed nipple then remove at leisure once the bike has been pushed away. Also there will be premature wear and tear issues with the brake lines, master cylinder and piston calliper seals being held under extended periods of pressure which can only result in critical brake failure!

There is a reason why vehicles have mechanical handbrakes. Note also that on vehicles fitted with air brakes the braking system works in reverse by releasing air pressure from the system, no air pressure no brakes.

It’s a proper no, no, no brainer, get yourself a disc lock and a reminder cord.

its just another way to slow the fukers down 

why not every little bit helps

I do not understand why bikes do not come with an equivalent of this as standard,

http://roadlok.com

As a third-party item it is far too expensive for what it is, and not compatible with my bike anyway.

^^KTM offer the Roadlok as a optional extra on some of their bikes. No brainer.

And I agree, should be standard. 

I have disc locks and chains etc. Was more as Wise has said the more the merrier to slow them down.

Little nervous as another LB’er sent me a pic of 2 footballers at the bottom of my road looking into people’s drives a their bikes. So just want to be as secure as I can be,

I have disc locks and chains etc. Was more as Wise has said the more the merrier to slow them down.
Little nervous as another LB'er sent me a pic of 2 footballers at the bottom of my road looking into people's drives a their bikes. So just want to be as secure as I can be,
The Sleeper
I told you what to use to scare the shit out of the little cunts 

Not really sold on the RoadLok.  Some that attaches as part of the brakes although may be soundly engineered, it’s not something that I really want altering.  Nothing wrong with a high quality disk lock, that you can actually use on multiple bikes.

Point is with it that it can’t be cut off and if you forget it it stops forward motion completely, so you won’t drop the bike. 

An advantage is that you cannot forgot about the lock and damage a mudguard of a caliper as can be done with a disc lock.  A disadvantage is extra unsprung weight, plus they don’t describe the locking mechanism at all, so not sure how easy it could be picked or broken.

An advantage is that you cannot forgot about the lock and damage a mudguard of a caliper as can be done with a disc lock.  A disadvantage is extra unsprung weight, plus they don't describe the locking mechanism at all, so not sure how easy it could be picked or broken.
Aceman
Sprung weight 
plus they don't describe the locking mechanism at all, so not sure how easy it could be picked or broken.
Aceman
So not any different to most disc locks which people use?  The keys in photos on their site though look like it has the same sort of mechanism as my Xena lock uses.
Nothing wrong with a high quality disk lock, that you can actually use on multiple bikes.
Kevsta
Other than many people still not using them, or any extra security.  Needing to have some way to carry them around, as not all bikes have the under seat space and I would not want a big lump of metal in my pocked it I came off.  And as said, needing reminder cables to prevent damaging the bike if you forget it is there.

And I would assume it is more difficult to simply cut out a section of the disc, as apparently happens to remove a disc lock, as you would first need to remove the roadlok to be able to rotate the wheel to get at both sides of the disc. Not impenetrable, nothing is, but it makes it take that little bit longer

If manufacturers made something like them a standard feature, instead of acting like steering locks are enough, then there would be no need to worry about the brakes or weight as the bikes would be specifically designed to accomodate them.   Andy they could potentially even tie them into immobilizers or other extra security as the lock would be part of the bike than just hanging a lump of metal from the disc.

But they have been around for a while, and KTM seemingly support their use, so if they did cause problems with the braking I am sure we would have heard about it by now.

An advantage is that you cannot forgot about the lock and damage a mudguard of a caliper as can be done with a disc lock.  A disadvantage is extra unsprung weight, plus they don't describe the locking mechanism at all, so not sure how easy it could be picked or broken. Aceman
Sprung weight 
Wise
I think it is unsprung weight, mate. 

Def “unsprung”. i.e. the springs are not carrying that weight.

KTM do offer one but it’s twice the price of going direct just to get it orange!. I have a few friends with them on Aprilias etc and I’ve one on order. They’re on back order so 15% off currently.

Apparently it’s made from aluminium, so would be a complete doddle to cut off in next to no time, without needing power tools or making much noise.

Aluminium? Oh that sucks :slightly_frowning_face:.

Sprung weight springs carry the weight of the entire bike.
Unsprung weight is wheels,tyres, brakes

Who failed at physics at school

Ali does a good job of clogging cutting discs on an angle grinder