Had enough - SHAME ARMSTRONG SOLICITORS

I was waiting to write this up as I was hoping it would change but just taken another call from them and a catalogue of issues I feel it is time to shame them.

So I was knocked off my bike circa 20th June last year.

After multiple chases by me to get an update on my claim and quiet literally never getting further than the gatekeepers my fuse has now blown.

I called on a weekly basis after the first 6wks for about 6wks and still did not get a call back from anyone there. I’ve since just given up even trying (as Dan knows)

When they do call me, they do not leave any messages EVER! so when you call back and say someone called me no one has a clue what’s going on.

I sent all my paperwork back like the good boy I should be. Over the last 2 weeks I’ve now received 3 letters saying I’ve sent nothing back to them!

They had no idea I was claiming for damage to goods! even though photos were sent!
They have complained they have received no bank statements although they were managing this themselves with my permission. I know these were sent as they came through me!

Solicitor had absolutely no idea I had videoed the crash.

All in all a complete F***ing shambles! the only saving grace I have is the other sides solicitors are worse than mine as they have missed 2 court deadlines!

seriously steer clear of this lot with a very large poll!

this is it in a nutshell but this has literally been ongoing since they took the case.

Not the first time I have heard similar stories about this firm.

Were you advised by your insurers to use them?

by McCams actually!

What frustrates me is I know whats happening and when the solicitor or claims handler whoever I was speaking to tells me I’m wrong it just makes the situation worse. 

Given your extensive work in the relative fields do you have any reccomendations of another solicitor?

I’d rather it take another 2yrs but be dealing with someone who keeps me in the loop rather than a bunch of people who simply don’t care about the claimant which is how I’m feeling with them.

by McCams actually!
What frustrates me is I know whats happening and when the solicitor or claims handler whoever I was speaking to tells me I'm wrong it just makes the situation worse. 
Given your extensive work in the relative fields do you have any reccomendations of another solicitor?
I'd rather it take another 2yrs but be dealing with someone who keeps me in the loop rather than a bunch of people who simply don't care about the claimant which is how I'm feeling with them.
The Sleeper
Ah right, as soon as you mentioned that particular firm, it said it all.

Can I ask, did you suffer any injury?

If you were injured, I may be able to help.  

You can change solicitors without issue and without cost.  It is a simple process.

i had the chance to choose wether to go with the mcams or to TC’s recommended ones, i’m glad to have chosen the latter.  whatever the lenght of the process is, and its long, i’m happy to report there is good communication and good knowledge all the way through.  cant praise them yet as the claim is still ongoing, but i’ve been kept well informed of all the proceedings and received all paperwork in a timely manner.

Hey mate, no personal injury claim. Just the damage to the bike (but that has since been repaired) and the damage to clothes etc

My experience was that few lawyers (of the good ones anyway) were willing to take it on with just damage. I just don’t think there is any money in it for them without injury.

I used Fletchers through MCE - not terrible but did need prodding - luckily the other lawyers agreed to pay relatively quickly. For me the hardest was convincing MCE that a claim was needed. I even had one advisor try to persuade me that ‘without injury there’s nothing to claim for’… 

My experience was that few lawyers (of the good ones anyway) were willing to take it on with just damage. I just don't think there is any money in it for them without injury.
Serrisan
It is not the fact that there is no money in it, it is the fact that legal costs cannot be recovered, which is why the likes of McCams have been able to capitalise because they make their money on the hire bike costs and carrying out te repairs which are claimed back from the third party.  I know that some of these claims firms allow you to use your own dealers for repairs in some cases, but they do like to repair bikes themselves as they can make additional money.

Unfortunately (because there thanfully is no injury) I can’t help in a professional capacity, and your case is now too far down the line for me to be able to recommend you to a firm I would trust to look after you.

I am guessing by the fact that you went to McCams in the first instance you are trying to avoid going through your insurance company which is probably the only option available at this point, but you then put yourself in the position of being in an equally bad position as most insurance appointed law firms are just as bad.

Whilst I hate to sound defeatist, I am not sure that I can recommend anything or anyone at the moment other than to say in future contact me first.  I can help in injury cases and I can put you in the hands of someone reputable in damage only claims, but this far down the line, I am sorry I cannot help you.

I’m in the same boat. A non injury damage claim through McCams. Armstrongs never answer the phone and never call back. They have taken three months to even ask me for my bank statements, and haven’t even been able to make contact with the third party insurer.
I can only presume the case isn’t worth their time, or they are incompetent.
Either way, I’m not holding my breath on ever seeing the cheque for the write off.

Why do they need your bank statements?

I can understand it if there were injuries and they need to see evidence for loss of earnings etc. But if it’s a damage only claim, surely they only need to see bills/receipts for whatever you’re claiming for?

It’s for fraud purposes, making sure you didn’t do it for your own gain.

Although I agree if I’m not after an injury claim why did I need to provide the details.

Just another spanner in the works for everyone…

@TC

Thanks mate appreciate you taking the time to read the posts and respond. I’m already defeated with Armstrong’s I literally could not give a poop anymore I have just given up on them.

@yourebarred
Well at least I’m not alone! Good luck as sounds like your having the same issues I was and am…

In my case, it’s because I took a loan bike and they need to see I couldn’t afford to hire one myself…

Why do they need your bank statements? I can understand it if there were injuries and they need to see evidence for loss of earnings etc. But if it's a damage only claim, surely they only need to see bills/receipts for whatever you're claiming for? Pat

In my case, it's because I took a loan bike and they need to see I couldn't afford to hire one myself..
Why do they need your bank statements?
Pat
yourebarred
It is also (with proper law firms anyway) an anti money laundering requirement as well as solicitors are often targeted as easy prey for laundering cash, but it is usually conveyancing and litigation that gets targetted, but injury have to go through the process as well.

Usually though utility bill, passport, driving licence or any other official document is sufficient.

Bear in mind that some of the less reputable claims management firms will also make you sign a hire agreement so that should they forget to claim or get turned down on aspects of the hire, they can then come to you for the balance, which in some cases can run into thousands of pounds.

The firm I have contact with is actually approved by the courts and do have a good reputation, but many are not that reputable and honest.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand now that I have had a good nights sleep, an option you have is to contact the Law Society and register an official complaint about the way your case has been conducted.

You need to register a complaint with the law firm first.  So either send an email or call them and speak to a partner and explain your situation and the fact that you are unhappy with the way that your case has been handled that should start a procedure at their end and hopefully the matter should be resolved to your satisfaction.

If it doesn’t and it isn’t then instigate a complaint to the Solicitor Regulation Authority at https://sra.org.uk/home/home.page and they will then take over the complaint and investigate, and they will investigate and take appropriate action.

Don’t be palmed off,  You are the client, you are the one paying them money so don’t pull any punches with them.

I think I am also right in saying that once a complaint has been instigated to the SRA, the law firm get fined anyway.  Might be wrong on this, but it rings a bell from when I was at my old firm.

I had a rant and have been ‘prioritised’.

I had a rant and have been 'prioritised'. yourebarred
so I heard!

I’ve ranted, people have ranted for me and still nothing. I think as TC says there is literally no money in it for them so why give a sh*t about the small guy.