Got a chain dilema HELP! please

Hello everyone, i need some help with people who have more experience than me. so any mechanics?? i need to know about a regina chain, does it have a connecting link that you hammer over? and do you definatly have to have a chain tool to put a new one on. cos i allways belive there’s another way with everything

Many thanks if you can help.

I gather it will say split-pin or something like that if it isn’t the normal chain… As far as I know a couple of pieces of wood, a hammer and you can join a chain… to remove, whip out an angle grinder…

I think you should wait for someone more experienced to post before doing any of the above…

I think you are right there are allways two ways of doing things. But in this case, I beleive there will be a right way and a wrong way. Last thing you want is the chain snapping at speed and wrapping itself around the rear wheel. Mike or one of the other mechanics here may be able to help.

I would not recomend putting a split link in a chain on any bike that could be described as reasonably powerful. Having the correct tool to do the job is a must, forget all this hitting it with a hammer malarchy, you can do more damage than good. To get the old chain off, angle grind down the top of one of the rivetts, then using the correct tool, push the rivet out of the chain, this will split the chain. Do not remove the chain at this point unless you are stripping out the front sprocket cover to clean it all out, or changing the front sprocket over for a new one.

Tie the new chain to the old and pull it through with the old chain. Using the correct tool, rivet the link together, best to join at the rear sprocket as the stability the sprocket gives is a big help. The new link may well be tighter than the rest of the chain so make sure you work it a bit to loosen it up.

Now tension correctly and voila, you are there.

Friend of mine last year decided to go ride his 749 ,which had sat all winter in someones garage, thing is,having the mechanical aptitude of a stunned haddock, he did’nt bother to lube or adjust the rusty collection of links attempting to take power from the engine to the rear wheel.Needless to say the chain got its own back, snapping at high speed while he was overtaking someone, and in the process destroying one side of the engine ! he was VERY lucky it did’nt take his leg with it! and even luckier that the tyre slid along the road in a straight line! moral of this? don’t fook with sh!t you don’t know about!!