France banning the Veil (Burkha) in public

being a muslim myself i think the ban is harsh towards muslims, and that its just the french pushing onto muslims, wearing a niqab is part of life for those who choose to wear it, and banning them from it takes alot of things away from them.

what if wearing a helmet in public was banned? if the niqab ban was for the right reasons then shouldnt things like this be in the criteria?

I’m fully with the French on this one…I really don’t see why it’s seen as having a go at Muslims…It’s just an easy way of some people moving around in disguise. Didn’t one of the people involved in the London attacks escape because he/she was wearing a Burkha…?
If the Burka is such a great thing why not wear it where it is fully accepted…no worries:)

Um…just a small point, but it isn’t religion that causes trouble, but people. And if they didn’t cause trouble in the name of religion, they would cause trouble in the name of power or money or their country or their political beliefs.The oft used argument that religion is the cause of all the ills in the world is quite frankly laughable. Do you honestly believe that if all religion was banned that all of a sudden the world would become a wonderful peaceful place? People will always find an excuse/reason to kill, persecute and despise other people.

I live and work in areas with a large Muslim population, the majority of Muslim women do not wear either the veil or the burka as it is not required by the Koran. The Koran requires a woman to be modest in her dress but does not stipulate head to toe covering. These garments are a cultural requirement, not a religious one.

Unfortunately, some women are forced to adopt the veil or burka by their husbands or their husbands families. It is a tough one, if a woman chooses to be veiled then the ban infringes her civil liberties; but how many really choose to? How many women, when interviewed in the company of their families they say what is expected of them for fear of physical violence? I know a woman that wears the covering out of fear of such treatment.

There are other issues with the veil, namely one of identification. Many occupations require photo ID, how can you use this form of security check when someone’s face is obscured?

How do you define morals then ? You made your opinion very clear and that’s why you talk so much **** . . . you believe your opinion (your moral compass if you like) is the centre of the world and everybody else should just fall into line. You’re simply not tolerant and that is where things like ethnic cleansing start. The French are on a very sticky wicket with this one.

Being silly ? Yeah, right, after what you’ve been posting :P:Whistling:

It’s not religion which causes the conflict, it’s greed and hatred which people blame on religion. Intolerance is wrapped up as a soft club to beat religion with, intolerance which is usually founded in fear.

Kaos is a good example of this, he wants the world to be like him, it’s safer and easier to understand that way, he’s intolerant and doesn’t see that there is room for various different beliefs and ways of life - so he criticises and tries to eat away at it even though he doesn’t understand it.

I find it amusing that me, as a Christian, am defending the rights of Muslims . . . :P:cool:

POST EDITED - not getting involved with religious issues or the people that feel they are important!

How do I define morals Steve…?Well you could have actually read my posts, then you might know how I have been defining morals. Let me recap for you.

I think that is enough to prove the point that I have consistently spoken about the norms, morals and ethics of society, rather then my own individual morals, many of which are not in concert with the norm.It is also more then enough to show that you simply changed the reality of what was being said to score points in an argument, rather then attempting to deal with what was actually being said.

You’re still talking sh1t despite saying you were ignoring me . . . go on, ignore me . . . :stuck_out_tongue:

Your belief in allowing a male dominated group to keep their women hidden from society, covered in veils and unable to participate fully is merely a manifestation of your misogynist ways.I expect you are annoyed that women have careers now and get to do more then perpare your food for you. Now I have labelled you and called you out as a misogynist you can ignore me. :slight_smile:

Do women have careers ? You might be right . . . then do you think they might also like to choose what they wear without being told what to wear by some throwback to a hideous Dickens nightmare :slight_smile:

I can still smell bullsh1t . . . can you shut your mouth please . . . I’m eating :pinch:

With respect to the comparisons to wearing a helmet, if you walked around wearing a helmet with a dark visor on the tube, in an airport, in a bank, in a school or in an embassy you’d get arrested, this is not the case with burka.

Steve… you clearly are not interested in adding to the debate, since you have not added anything remotely sensible in any of your posts. Why then don’t you just simply leave the thread?

Why the constant and personal attacks against me? Do you fancy me is that it? Are you like one of those children in the playground that punch the girls in the arm because you don’t know how to show your affection.

Its ok Steve… you are not my type, there you go, that should put you out of your misery, now you can leave me alone maybe find a man that finds you attractive.

Kaos, I take it your personal attacks don’t count ?

Edited as I can’t spell !!

Which ones would they be Busa? Would they be the attacks made to show Steve… how labelling someone, even if it was thinly veiled, makes it difficult to ignore? Would it be those Busa? OR are there some others you are talking about?

You will notice that my personal attacks only came after this comment aimed at me Busa…

“ethnic cleansing is only just a little bit further down that road . . .”

This was designed to make me respond, which I felt compelled to do. Then Steve… banged on about how I was supposed to be ignoring him, after he purposely goaded me into replying.

I did the same back to show him what he had done.

Apparently it went over your head.

IMO as soon as someone is old enough to make their own decisions (this age does vary…) they can wear what they like, eat what they like, believe what they like and do what they like to their own bodies. Before they are old enough it is their parents or guardians responsiblity to make sure that by the time they are old enough to make these decisions for themselves they are not so ‘f*^ked’ up that they make the ‘wrong’ decisions (this is a relative matter). Over generations things will work themselves out. Basically I blame the parents. :slight_smile:

The correct English word ‘f*^ked’ seems to have been censored from my post. Edited to include it.

All i want to know is what the hell are the women doing out of the kitchen when they should be making me a sandwich:P

… or breakfast (think McVicar):wink:

I always found the below to be entertaining. Snopes discusses whether it was a real letter

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/drlaura.asp

Dr. Laura Schlesinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice
to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as
an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according
to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The
following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident,
which was posted on the Internet. It’s funny, as well as
informative…

Dear Dr. Laura

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I
have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that
knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend
the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that
Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other
specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
    pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors.
    They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in
    Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair
    price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in
    her period of menstrual cleanliness - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is,
    how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and
    female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend
    of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can
    you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus
    35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated
    to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
    abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than
    homosexuality. I don.t agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I
    have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading
    glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room
    here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair
    around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.
    19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes
    me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two
    different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing
    garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester
    blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really
    necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town
    together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn.t we just burn them to
    death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with
    their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident
you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is
eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan,