Fix a hole in oil filter?

So, a hole opened up on my oil filter last night and is leaking oil when the engine is running. Is there any way to seal it up temporarily just so I can get to work and back once?

is it really worth the risk? I mean you could probably seal it but if it blows out while riding it could destroy the engine

Not the risk to engine think of where all that oil goes ā€¦on road and back tyre

2 Likes

It seems the answer is you probably can, but is it really worth the risk.

Welp, after calling a dozen places managed to find one that was open for a couple of hours today and they had 1 filter left in stock. Luckily, not too far off on public transport and fitted the filter just in time.

However, since we already have a thread going, feel free to answer the original question for curiosityā€™s sake.

On a related note, they only had the ā€œracingā€ oil filter which is like Ā£2 more hence the quotes. Will it be of slightly better quality or is there some other difference?

Although it was more expensive and may give better performance, my concern would be its lifespan.

Some things built for racing may only be expected to last a short time then be replaced.

1 Like

The hi flo racing ones have a hex head on the end to make it easier to taker off.

as for a temp fix, a blob of something like exhaust putty or chemical metal would probably work, but be filter is definitely better

2 Likes

Is the old filter bubbling from rust? How long had you had it on there?

I used to change the filter with every oil change (i.e. once a year), but last time I skipped it, so itā€™s about 18 months old.

It would take you far less time to change it, than to just clean it up, let alone repair it.

If desperate, you could try baking soda and super glue to seal it (plenty of youtube stuff of ā€œbaking soda and super glueā€), but would suggest you cut the bottom of a cola bottle to size, cover the whole filter and melt it to size with a heat gun as well.

1 Like

Not to mention cheaper by a mile.

1 Like

Quick answer. No no no no no no no.
You skimped on an oil change and now itā€™s cost you. It could have written off you and the bike, or at the very least cost you an engine. A lesson learned, hopefully.

2 Likes

apart from the hole fixing issue, Iā€™d be more interested to know how did that happen in the first place? Iā€™m not famous for cleaning my bikes although I never skip a service, and never seen or heard of that happening before?

Not sure how you deduced this from what the OP has said.

Heā€™s said he changes the oil every year & whilst he normally also replaces his oil filter at the same time, he didnā€™t last time. From what i recall he has a Suzuki 650. The service schedule specifies an oil change every 4,000 miles or 12 months whilst the filter should be replaced every 8,000 miles or 24 months, so every 2nd oil change.

Therefore, if heā€™s not exceeding 4,000 miles a year, heā€™s followed the manufacturerā€™s service instructions.

1 Like

Indeed, if you have one already handy. But buying the filter on a saturday which is also christmas eve presented some problems.

Good question. There is some random bubbling all over as you can kind of see in the picture. I do ride it in all weathers - when it was 40C last summer and when it was <0C this month. So, excessive heat/cold, road salt?

Couldnā€™t have said it better :+1:

Youā€™ve done the only sensible thing in replacing it, oil filters are not for repairing.

Looks like the oil filter may have corroded from the inside out, road salt or road fling corrosion would first remove the paint finish before attacking the aluminium canister. Or maybe it was simple pierced by something thrown up off the road. What brand oil filter is that?

Racing oil filters, apart from the drilled hex nut for attaching a safety wire, tend to have a finer filtration medium, on the one hand this traps more contaminants on the other hand it requires changing more often because it becomes clogged more sooner. Note - Failing to change a clogged oil filter will result in having no oil filtration because the bypass valve will do its job and allow the engine oil to bypass the clogged filtration media.

Iā€™d suggest you change the ā€˜racingā€™ oil filter at 4,000 miles and if you want to be changing your oil filter at the recommended 8,000 mile service interval Iā€™d recommend Hiflofiltro standard OEM specification engine oil and air filters

1 Like

And maybe buy an oil filter to keep as an emergency spare.

+1 acemAn

Oil filters are as cheap as chips and cheaper when purchased as a multi pack. Iā€™ve never needed one in an emergency but Iā€™ve always had an engine oil and filter change on the shelf.

Typically youā€™ll pay Ā£8 for an oil filter through the post, thatā€™s Ā£5 for the filter and Ā£3 for the delivery. Iā€™m doing around 16,000 miles per year (= two off oil n filter changes) and buying a pack of 4 saves me Ā£9 on the postage and gets my filter costs down to less than Ā£6 each, the savings far out weigh the 5% interest rate offered by a Barclayā€™s Rainy Day Saver account.

Worth noting here engine oil is a different kettle of fish. My engine oil of choice is Motul 5000 which typically has a two year shelf life before the additives start breaking down which means thereā€™s no point in me having any more than 6L hanging around.

1 Like

I normally use HiFlo standard filter. Seemed to be the one most widely available. The racing one I got from the garage this time was also HiFlo.

Hindsight :man_shrugging:

The standard Hiflo HF138 is the most widely available for a reason and is what you need for an 8,000 mile service interval.