First big bike suggestions.

You might get bored of the bandit. If it has to be suzuki then try a GSR600 same as the hornet.
Don’t get anything with less than 90bhp as you will become bored with it within the year. 600cc plus is a great middle ground between good performance and not shitting yourself too much :slight_smile:
Test ride a couple. Btw, a 600 needs to be revved to get the performance. The gsr revs to 14000 and only hits the power and near 9000 revs then it’s zoooooooooooom! :smiley:

Actually, the ZXR isn’t that small, i think it is the biggest of the 400s. Have to say the ride is hard, as these old 400s are the real sport/race bike not like the new 400s (ninja 300, duke 390, cbr 500 etc) so comfort isn’t it strong point but it does keep up with the 600s if you have a bit of talent and it corners faster than you would expect from a 400cc bike.

Good shout Jaime, the GSR600 is a perfect first bike. the power band is really novice friendly, you can build yourself up to the 9K boost, and if you don’t have the confidence yet just pootling below 9K is easy. Same thing makes it a great commuter, mild mannered and useable in town, and you can give the bike a different personality when you get out on the twisties.

It depends on the individual.
If you have excellent motor skills, and a long standing relationship with motorised vehicles, then buy an R1.
If your car is a mess of dents, and you regularly poke yourself in the eye with your own toothbrush, then buy something that accelerates slowly and brakes fast, thuis avoiding running into things unexpectedly.

Hey Tom, I’ve just realised who you are! SV’s again this year then?

Hey maaan! no SVs for me, project supertwin is on hold for a while so its GSXR600 this season for me :slight_smile: you NG’ing? We are for a few but have a few things in the pipework outside of NG!

thread hijack! - sorry

Yep, sure am NG-ing. Got Denise to sort my papers out last week, Bike prep begins this weekend… ZX6R. Looks like we’ll see you out there?? You Stock or SS?

And for the thread:
Any 600 would be MORE than enough… don’t think I’d go for a thou til you’ve got the hang of that. My blade spins the rear everywhere in the wet, i’d have fallen off as a novice doing that!
I reckon Tom’s suggestion of an SV is about right, great road bike, not enough power to scare you that much but plenty of torque.

CBF500 with ABS. Cracking good bike, plenty of speed, light and easy to ride.

I started off on a 1988 FJ1200, a weighty behemoth of the bike that was actually a joy to ride, but it was bloody fast!

Like someone said earlier check out the Yamaha MT-07 being released this year. It’s £5600 with ABS brand new.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/mt/mt-07.aspx?view=featurestechspecs&mode=pricing

I’m looking to test ride one myself as I currently have an R6 but just isn’t practical for commuting into London everyday. I need something more upright and would like ABS on my next bike.

As a first time bike I wouldn’t go new as a commuter is going to rake up mileage and a new bike will devalue hand over fist to learn on a bike bike go middle wright all you need is to decide faired or unfaired get used to bigger bikes then decide what route you want yo take

This one. Engine bars, low mileage, very very competent bike and well within budget. Worth a ride.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBF500-ABS-07-reg-bike-2-owners-only-genuine-2591-mls-excellent-/261286620090?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3cd5e56bba

Thanks makman- I’m still a couple of months away from buying though as I don’t have my full license yet.

BMW F650GS - sound good with an aftermarket can, more performance than a 125 by a long way, comfortable for a taller rider (I had one and I’m 6 foot), and cheap to run and insure.

Oh, and I mean the single cylinder, not the 800cc twin that was sold as an F650 and is a physically smaller frame.

I really like the look of this bike and am giving it serious consideration when it comes out in the Spring. MT-07 for £5199… surely this is going to see the demise of the XJ6 which is £900 more. Realistically, as I use my most days, year round, and it’s not going to be kept immaculate, I should be looking for something a few years old, but with some of the silly money being asked for used bikes, the MT-07 is a serious contender… not too expensive but not cheap either… could be the right bike at the right price? I’ll probably be humped on servicing costs, but it’s going on my list of possibles. :cool:

Does anyone have any experience of the GSX 650?

A mate has one and I really like the look of them.
I gather they are a faired Bandit with a bit of retuning?

Worth a look?

Edit:
Actually ignore my last question- it has been mentioned already in the thread- checking it out now.

With 6k you can buy something new. From what i heard these are quite good for beginners. Honda CBF500 , Honda CBR500R or CBX500.
I was convinced and bought one: CBR500R… lol… Very happy with it .

street trips are mega, they make me do this>:D

if your sensible and walk before you run, get one! great bike, but it will bite you if you dont behave.

or go middleweight and get an SV650 or a Hornet, perfect first bikes, enough go to have fun, handling isnt sportsbike or Street trip, but its not bad and a good way to learn how to ride bigger bike’s, cant go far wrong with either of them.

Haven’t gone through all the pages of this thread… so here’s my advice which might have already been mentioned.

Check insurance quotes before you commit to buy anything. It depends on your post code, how nickable the bike is, etc.

Go and test ride a few, you might find that some bikes really hurt your back, wrists, etc. You need to be comfortable with the ridding position.

For a first big bike I wouldn’t go for new and certainly wouldn’t spend £6K. I would get a used one since you are more prone to errors than a seasoned rider. Lots of people in here might disagree but that’s my take. I would spend a couple of grand, get more confident and comfortable with big bikes and then after a couple of years change bikes.

Don’t be concerned about bhp (don’t know if you are, just mentioning this). I can guarantee you that you will never reach the limits of the bike even if it has 50bhp like the new honda nc700x.

An Kawa ER6 is a good first bike… :slight_smile:

All the best with your lessons and the licence.

not read through the posts but could I suggest a bonneville or thruxton, the 795cc or 865cc will suffice, they have plenty of character and wont catch you out, I have had bandit 12 speed triple, gsx1100, gsxr1100 etc etc and now a thruxton and love it, had bonnie 795 before and loved that too.

Here food for though
My son want to get a GPZ 500 cheap to buy still some nice ones out there
They get good reviews a good turn of speed cheap to insure and they make a good commuter bike
Now over looked by the ER Kawasakis