Finding a driving instructor UB7

Anyone has any recommendations for a (car) instructor in the area? I hear it’s generally better and cheaper to get one directly than through a driving school. Otherwise, any tips on how I could find one.

When I learned to drive in 2019 I used the app Midrive, you pay for a block of lessons through the app and an instructor contacts you, kinda like uber for driving instructors.

I went that route because I didn’t have a clue how to choose a driving school, the prices worked out slightly better than the independent driving schools near me anyway and if you don’t like the instructor you get you can ask for a different one. There was also a guarantee at the time that it would only be one learner at a time (no starting your lesson by driving someone else home, then ending your lesson at someone else’s house and them starting their lesson by driving you home… apparently it happens)

The driving instructor I got was ok, passed first time after 35 hours but if I was a nervous or slow learner he probably wouldn’t have been great, but the option was always there to get a different one. It worked for me, but YMMV

Edit: The instructor I got didn’t book any tests for me, I had to find and book them myself (just saw your other post)

1 Like

Try your local FB page and search for driving instructors, otherwise ask the community for suggestions.

I don’t really have facebook nor do I normally access it, apart from when someone posts a video here linking to it. How would I find a local fb page?

I only moved to the area recently, so don’t know a lot of people from here (not anyone with a remotely recent license at least), hence the post to the london biker community :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: