Essential Purchases For A New Rider

Hi All,

I’m getting a bike within the next couple of months, (after an extended break of about 17 years not riding), so I appreciate things have moved on a bit!

Obviously, boots, gloves, helmet, appropriate clothing are a given, but I was wondering what else should I get.

I’m thinking in terms of security, utility and safety really. For example, I saw a bike on ebay that had a ‘data tag’ fitted - worth the money or not?

What about essential tools? What wouldn’t you ride without?

Cheers,

Steve

security wise, go for disk locks for when you pop to the shops and ground anchors with heavy duty chains for when you’re at home.

alarms and data tags will reduce you’re insurance premium and give you a little bit more peice of mind when you leave it somewhere undesirable, but they can also be the bane of your life, like trying to turn it off so you can clean your bike without deafening your neighbours.

depending on your type go for some luggage options, at the least a tank bag/decent rucksack with chest straps so you can carry more that a wallet with you. or if you’re that way inclined a top box and/or panniers may be your thing.

tools, essentials are tyre pressure guage, a selection of random odds and sods such as screw drivers, hex keys and whatever comes with your OE bike tool kit.

again dependng on your preference, centre stands/paddock stands or swingwarm stands make maintenance a lot easier.

regards to maintenance, GT85, WD40 for unsticking stuck things, chian lube, parafin or the like for removing chain lube, disk brake cleaner is always handy and a cleaning agent of some kind(i use muc off motorcycle cleaner) along with piles and piles of rag.

and a battery trickle charger/optimiser never hurt

After a break of 17 years, may I suggets that the best investment you could make would be a course of advanced instruction in road riding? Chip the rust off of those skills, build up confidence and start thinking again like a rider.

The casualty rate among born-again bikers who don’t make the effort to ease themselves intelligently back into the saddle speaks for itself. Powerful modern bikes, much busier roads, rusty skills and overconfidence fill a lot of ambulances.

Hello and welcome

Did you know Sheena?:wink:

Get yourself on a Bikesafe course and make it a priority.

You will need cake too;):smiley:

you know whats really usefull ? having 2 daughters like mine who apart from cleaning and maintaining there own bikes always find the time to give dads bike the once over while they’re at it then make sure im alright by not taking my warm thermals or all my socks themselfs or taking my bike and abusing it like some others would.hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah :unsure::Whistling:
its ok i’v lost it ,they can put me in a home now.

you know whats really usefull ? having 2 daughters like mine who apart from cleaning and maintaining there own bikes always find the time to give dads bike the once over while they’re at it then make sure im alright by not taking my warm thermals or all my socks themselfs or taking my bike and abusing it like some others would.hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
its ok i’v lost it ,they can put me in a home now.

steady on zeph you’ll give them 2 lovely girls a bad name:) dont forget it’l be them that pick the home that you end up in so BE NICE

Greetings and a Happy New Year, Stevie

I was in much your situation three years back, but only an eight year layoff. I was surprised by traffic speed/density, lack of respect/awareness and just how much bike thefts had risen.

First, refresher training. Almost a must. Worth every penny.

Second, we were all super heros on a bike, once. But things change and change fast. Your older and slower, the bikes are newer and quicker. Don’t be over optimistic about you abilities on a modern bike.

Third, good security is essential out there now. Whether an alarm is worth the huge cost for a trivial discount on the insurance is your choice. (Data tag is a complete waste of money) A decent lock and chain is now pretty much essential.

Fourth, just take things one small step at a time. The old skills will come back, the trick is to live long enough for that to happen.

Of, and get some waterproofs that don’t leak. You will have forgotten how often it rains. And how cold it can get after the first five miles.

Now go do it and enjoy again.

Must be almost bedtime, and speak for yourself Im more of a superhero tonight than Ive been in the last three days!

Back Protector - Forcefield LP2 is good.
ACF50 for bike (NOT discs or brakes) anti corrosion.
Training to get back into the groove is especially useful, and BikeSafe www.london-bikesafe.org.uk is a must as well.

Welcome back to the fold of bikes and ride safe.

Hi all - thank for the top advice and a Happy New Year to y’all :slight_smile:

Fubles - cheers - a lot of advice there - appreciate your comments. I use Muc-Off for my mountain bike so I know how good it is - didn’t know they did it for motorcycles as well so will defo have a look-see at that.

Wildwood, Chunky, Oldguy & Makman - cheers for the safety advice - I’ve been reading about Bikesafe so will look a bit further into it. I should point out that my previous stint of riding was done when I live in Spain as a teenager so I’m having to start again from scratch :slight_smile:

For that reason alone, I’m not gonna do a Direct Access course because I know what I’m like - I’d have a 600cc within a month and kill meself. Gonna stick to the slow road and enjoy pootling about on a 125 for a while until the confidence and skills have grown enough. Will think about more power when it feels right to do so :slight_smile:

I’m very conscious that it isn’t just my riding I need to be aware of - it’s other people’s driving as well :w00t:

Hehe… Zeph - when I get it, can I drop my bike off at your gaff once a week while your lasses have got the cleaning gear out? :smiley:

Once again, many thanks to everyone - gives me some food for thought - much appreciated :slight_smile:

That sounds expensive. :stuck_out_tongue:

Make sure you carry a roll of duct tape and some zip ties under your seat. You’ll never know when it’ll come in handy! :smiley: