EOS 7D

Sooooo went into Tottenham Court road on Sat to see what prices and stock the 7D were… erm, walked out with a 7d, 8Gb mem and extra battery… :smiley: Could’nt help myself! :blush:Used it today to take some pics of the kids playing rugby with the 70-200 and I am a VERY happy puppy. Sooo much better than the 400d. Now just to sift through the 300 odd pics… sigh!

Now that’s what I call an impulse buy! Good effort!

nice work.

my girlfriend keeps using the phrase ‘looking is free’.

it never ends up that way now does it! :smiley:

did you get it with the kit lens then? what was the damage?

Yeah very impuslsive, not like me at all… NOT.Just the body seeing as I have a 24-105L and the 70-200 2.8 IS. So the camera and the extra battery and the extreme 8Gb CF card all told for £1.6K… the credit card is bleating in submission, all I need now is a battery grip, flash, new bag… and and and :w00t: It never ends does it!

When’s your 5d Mk II due to arrive?

gotta love credit :wink:

not sure, hopefully later this week. due to the royal mail situ your guess is as good as mine :frowning:

agreed, altho chrimbo is coming up - may try the doe-eyed thing at the girlfriend/parents and see if they fancy getting me the tripod and other bits :wink:

ITS ARRIVED!!! WOOO-HOOOOO

ahem

man its cool. battery is currently charging but used the AA battery cartridge as couldn’t wait for that thing to charge up!

loving the huge viewfinder, and its so quiet and fast to focus. to be fair it should be at this price but still, its exciting.

the optical IS is really interesting - didn’t realise you could actually see it working in the viewfinder and slowly adjusting for the movement so the view is steady. liking that a lot.

need to go sommat to go take pics of now!

ACES :smiley:

eh?

Unless I’m mistaken … and I’m sure someone will tell me if I am … :wink:

Canon’s IS system works because the lenses have a “floating” element within the lens. This means that should you have an un-hand-holdable shutter speed and flinch a minute amount - the body of the lens moves - and the elements that are attached to the body of the lens moves - but the floating element stays still while the rest of it moves around it … if you follow :crazy:

They reckon you can get an extra 2 to 3 stops past the golden rule of 1/(shutter speed in lens length) … so 300mm lens becomes hand holdable at 1/75

All of this adds up to I have no idea what you are talking about :stuck_out_tongue:

What happens to all the defunct/obsolete previous digital gear that the new 7D replaces?

Just asking…

It’s starting to really bug me how everything is disposable and just ends up in land-fill.

You never saw this in the 19th century with cameras - nor with 20th century film cameras which still work without any dead pixels/sensors/electronics :frowning:

I’m only guessing - but he’ll either keep it to use as a backup/in case of emergency … or take it out when he isn’t as concerned about damaging/having stolen his new shiny bit of kit … or flog it on ebay and someone who is just starting out will get a bargain. There is no way it’ll be going in the bin - and if that is what he was planning on doing with it - then I’ll have first dibs on it from you instead :stuck_out_tongue:

I personally have two DSLR’s - and I’m sure I’m not the only one - and I’ll keep both of them until they go kaput. I bought an entry level’ish one - and within 4 months I had upgrade envy - so bought a “prosumer” one. Most of the time I’ll go out with the posh one … sometimes I’ll go out with both of them … e.g. taking photos for friends bands/doing gigs … pain in the bum to change lenses between each song … so take both with a different lens on each of them … and just chop and change through the course of the night.

To be fair to JB - he has completely switched systems from Pentax to Canon - so arguably, he did need (:D) all the new bits he bought because the two sets of lenses/memory cards/flashguns aren’t compatible with each other

prob didn’t explain what i meant very well but on pentax system the stabilisation is in the body so when you look through the viewfinder and you’ve got a bit of a shake on you really see it in the viewfinder. with the IS on the Canon lens switched its very much a case of the view floating/dragging along to catch up with your movement.

i’d say SLR and DSLR cameras are prob one of the least ‘disposable’ of electronics - theres always someone who is looking to start out, or upgrade their gear so it either becomes back up as Mr-C has mentioned, or finds a new home. I know people who still even prefer to shoot with their old film SLR’s despite the disadvantages and cost that go along with it.

My pentax can still take a cracking picture and will find a new home at some point. deciding whether to keep it as a backup initially, altho obviously it would be better to have a second canon body long term. That purchase will defo only be justified if/when I’ve got big regular work. Its questionable how much use it will get otherwise. Things like going snowboarding I could take the pentax out on the slopes (in a heavily padded bag) but there is no way i’d risk the new cam.

So happy for you! Enjoy the camera, it’s sooooooo nice having new toys!

Well my 400d is up for sale, it’s still a good camera and will not end up in landfill. If I have to I will give it to my son…

G,Day
I have had an original 5D and it was a pretty good camera, it was nice to have full frame and the new 5D MKII is a big step up from that, If you are taking landscapes or doing studio work then the 5D MKII is great, The video capabilities are good although I think it would take a bit of getting used to. I have also looked at the 7D and if you want to take Sport or Wildlife then this is a no brainer it’s a great camera, it has large file sizes fairly fast shutter speeds and an upgraded focussing system along with with two
Digic 4 processors although it is a 1.6 crop camera this gives you extra reach for sport and wildlife. It also seems to be very good on the video as well. from my point of view if you have the money for a 5D MKII I would save money and get the 7D and a good lens or maybe lash out and get two 7D’s. You could still shoot studio work and landscapes on the 7D, I don’t think you would be disappointed in it. Canon are just about to release the new upgraded 70-200 f2.8 is L so the older one will be appearing cheaper soon along with a 1.4X MkII Tele converter this would be an outstanding combination. Don’t bother with the 2X Tele converter I find the 1.4X excellent and rather than use my 2X Tele converter I use the 1.4X and crop the image and it is a much cleaner image. Good luck with your choice. have a look at this lens and multiply it by 1.6

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0703/Sigma/sigma200500mm-big.jpg

How pleased on a scale of 1 to-not-f’ing-very am I to learn the 2.8l is being replaced after having ordered one last week…

Turd. So do I kick the lens back to the supplier and wait, or do I keep. Going to Asia in March and was planning to be using it a fair bit

I feel your pain (albeit not to the same extent) … I bought my 40D and the week later they reduced them by £200 … LUCKILY … I’d not taken it out of the box … so back to the shop it went … on the excuse of “I told my girlfriend I wanted the D40 made by Nikon for £400 and she bought the 40D by Canon for close to £1k … they really should rethink how they name their products” … and after a lot of irritation on their part … they gave me a refund :wink: :smiley:

I suppose the question is … whereabouts in Asia … HK/Japan = home of cheap electronics = buy another one while you are out there?

northern thailand is the provisional plan but looking more at the arse-end of nowhere rather than mainstream commercial goods area

The new lens is meant to be coming out at the end of Feb isn’t it?

if you can back it and guarantee you’ll get one before you travel then try for the swap out. If nothing else you may be able to get the current model for cheaper as dealers try to limit their loss on old stock.

I didn’t really find HK that cheap for electronics tbh.

I use the 70 - 200 2.8 is L all the time and I am very happy with it. I know how you feel I just bought a 24" iMac and three weeks later they bought out a 27" better spec machine that was cheaper than my purchase. A friend of mine bought a 10D years ago and a month after he bought it the 20D was released he called Canon and they relaced the 10 D with a new 20D. So maybe a call to Canon and explain your predicament you never know what they might be able to do.

Did you get the 17-40? I love that lens I have the 16-35 MKI and the 17-40 and I prefer the 17-40 its lighter and the optics are better across the range.

I reckon you should get a 1.4X converter to take as this will give you extra reach and be light to carry and works extremely well with the 70-200