Eff NCP

Started my new job (yay) which requires me to go to the office every few days, just off Drury Lane. Arrived today at 2pm and no bays with spaces so stuck it in the NCP car park. All is well and I was haps.

Finish work, go to get my baby and the machine does the talking thing because they don’t issue normal bike tickets. Guy asks me to put in six quid so I put in a ten, gives me back some bs credit note. Ask the guy what’s happened and he tells me I can’t get the money back from the machine I have to email and all this bs. Now, the remaining four pounds was for fuel to get me home and to cut a long story short I ended up paying fifty notes for a cab to take me home so I could collect my card and back to my baby to pick her up as she would not remain unmolested in central London over an evening, especially with no alarm or locks.

Any way I tap them up for the fifty? I didn’t consent to the machine taking my money and the possibility definitely wasn’t advertised to me before the fact. As far as I’m concerned it’s tantamount to theft.

That sucks a bit… why a credit note?! You’re not going back there again, it’s a one off!

That said, I’m more concerned why you don’t have a lock!

On one hand I’m a little surprised you paid, most people just ride round the barriers, secondly that you got a taxi home instead of asking on LB for some help from a friendly biker, but thirdly, yeah it can’t be legal for them not to offer change, they will have to offer it. I’m sure a Citizens Advice Bureau or the inter-webs will be able to help with clarifying this part of law.

You’ll at least be able to get your change back, but claiming the cab-fare? No chance, that was on you, sorry to say.

On one hand I’m a little surprised you paid, most people just ride round the barriers, secondly that you got a taxi home instead of asking on LB for some help from a friendly biker,
LOL :smiley:

well you can always try to get that money back but as Jay said, that was your call. they could do it as a gesture of good willing, but i dont think they are obliged. the change back on the other side, definitively. thats a scam.
write to them on FB and twitter, usually that works.

I could be wrong, but I thought credit notes were actually not allowed. Now I know most people accept them when returning stuff but in actual fact they shouldn’t be offered.

Again don’t quote me on that, but I’m sure there is some rule about them…

Sounds like you got robbed.
On the other hand there are a lot of bike bays around that area. I’m surprised you couldn’t find a space. There are about 8 big bike bays around the area if you don’t mind walking. The one on Drury lane is my favourite as they have a rail to chain your bike to.