Dealers still closed plus opinions on Diavel S/V2/Speed Triple RS?

I’d hypothesise that’s also part of growing a bit older and out of the hooligan mode.

When you get wool slippers for Xmas, you know you’ve gone too far

Maybe. I never felt the need to change the exhaust on the R1200GS either. I think some bikes just sound good enough as stock. They’re few and far between mind. I had a Racefit, Akrapovic or Arrow exhaust on all my other bikes, including the KTM Superduke 1290R.

I don’t think I’ve ever changed exhausts… The GSR died with stock ones, the supermoto I drilled then baffles out to specifically keep the KTM stock ones and the Adventure came with Akras on it.

But I found the older I got, the less importance I placed on it

But hold on, this has arrow exhausts as standard? Maybe that’s why… It tends tends to be the manufacturer ones that are a bit pants

1 Like

Yeah, Arrow as standard :slight_smile:

Sounds so good on the overrun and on hard upshifts.

Mine came with the touring screen, while it gives you an extra 20mph of top speed comfort I don’t use it at all now. My neck has got use to the wind now. Plus it keeps you below triple figures which is handy.

Kriega’s fit well on the back seat for luggage.

2 Likes

cant really see you on a Speed triple… next you’re gonna be test riding a honda!

It’s not just The exhaust though. The induction noise on my F3 ZX-6R was the most addictive sound I’ve ever heard on a bike. It just absolutely wailed from around 6K upwards & I found myself adjusting my riding so as to hear it - Honestly officer, the banshee :ghost: spoke to me and made me do it! :innocent:.

I kept the stock exhaust on it because I was afraid of ruining it.

2 Likes

Aftermarket exhaust sounds better than a stock one? Shocker!

That’s a £990 add-on for the standard bike, so half the difference in upgrading to the RS.

Pretty good value then when you add in the Ohlins and Brembos.

1 Like

absolutely! not to mention you’d have to negotiate to get the fitting done for free too

I wouldn’t say no, though the reason it’s not high on my list is due to the lack of support for panniers

I guess you’re considering buying 2 bikes? One with touring ability and one with track day ability? Bc the V2 is not going to give good panniers, right?

I’m in a similar line of thinking if so. I’ve heard that the Panigale is the most harsh super sport on the wrists and that repair costs for Ducati are huge. Not only the cost being a consideration, Ducati often use proprietary fixings and components that non-Ducati garages don’t have. So if you’re out and have an issue it might be harder to get assistance and much more expensive when you do.

Very interested to see how your thinking develops! I’m also keen on buying 2 bikes right now. I’m currently interested in the S1000RR (another high repair cost bike I assume, but reviewed as pretty comfy for long distance). As for a touring-enabled bike I was thinking of something adventure style, but I’ve not thought about it a lot yet.

Well deduced :slight_smile:

Potentially. The priority is a fun road bike that I can tour on. That’s certainly where my thinking’s at right now. I have a test-ride on a Diavel S today.

I’ve toured around Europe on sportsbikes and whilst it’s possible and certainly fun in parts, much of it is either not as enjoyable as it could be on a more suitable bike or miserable (sore wrists/back), especially in the wet. I wouldn’t do it again by choice.

I’m keen to get back into track riding, including some tutoring to buff up. Depending on what I buy for the road we’ll see if a dedicated track bike is worth it. If it was then I’d be thinking one of a few things currently:

• Inexpensive middleweight with great handling, i.e. Triumph 675R or similar. Cons: No TC (I’m 40 and self-employed, don’t need broken bones)
  • Five year old Aprilia RSV4 RF. Amazing bike. Miss my old 2013 APRC model.
  • Ducati Panigale V2. Incredible by all accounts, i.e. handling and electronics. Expensive.

Wow! Nice one! How did you secure the test ride? Ducati opened in the end? Which one?

I hear you on the fun road bike front. That’s my top prio too. I also want something that will allow me to take my girlfriend on that will be comfortable for her, which I’m not sure is a mutually satisfiable requirement to the fun road bike part (I really want a sport stance bike, I think). Even my current MT-07 kills my gf’s butt.

What if you drop your V2 at the track? I was considering this and wondered if I would get a cheaper second hand bike for the track and mincing around on, but I’m so enamoured by the S1000RR. Maybe I should get a cheaper sport bike for myself that I don’t mind dropping and then a really comfy bike for touring and taking the gf on.

S1000RR is a great bike. I’ve owned one, toured on it and tracked it. I wouldn’t do big miles on one as whilst they’re comfy enough to a point, they’re just not as fun as a dedicated touring bike for that kind of riding, i.e. it’s very much a head-down, get to the destination kinda experience, rather than a sit-up, take in the environment one.

A good half-way house would be the S1000 XR. Bit of a love-child between a S1000RR and a GS i.e. with the S1000RR engine and the GS upright, windshield and luggage ability. I’m waiting to get a test-ride on the new 2020 model which should be in showrooms sometime in June (according to my dealer).

My Ducati test-ride is with a dealer offering a private one on one, socially distant experience. They don’t want to be named.

This is a controversial opinion perhaps but I think you’ve got to be prepared to drop a bike at the track otherwise you’ll always be holding back and not getting the most out of the experience. Buying a bike in your repair budget is important though you can get trackday insurance and I would recommend that. You can also take a number of precautions if it’s a dedicated track bike, i.e. for the V2 I would fit the optional track bodywork, fork, frame and swingarm protectors and take with me some spare footpegs, clipons and leavers. Oh and duct-tape and cable-ties, the tried and tested trackday repair kit :slight_smile:

I’ve dropped bikes at the track, broken stuff, repaired/replaced them and got back out on track using this approach. Important to take the time in-between sessions to understand why you crashed though :slight_smile:

they’re just not as fun as a dedicated touring bike for that kind of riding, i.e. it’s very much a head-down, get to the destination kinda experience, rather than a sit-up, take in the environment one

Makes a lot of sense… thank you. Back to the buying two bikes idea then :smile:.

A good half-way house would be the S1000 XR

I did contemplate the S1000 XR, but passed on it because I didn’t see it as a “proper sports stance”. However, the BMW site does mention that they’ve tried to maintain some of the sport stance. Def gonna give this a test ride now.

My Ducati test-ride is with a dealer offering a private one on one, socially distant experience. They don’t want to be named.

Fair enough. Enjoy! Let us know what you think!

This is a controversial opinion perhaps but I think you’ve got to be prepared to drop a bike at the track otherwise you’ll always be holding back and not getting the most out of the experience.

Makes complete sense. I agree, you need to commit in to it and that means accepting a crash is possible. I’ll have to find a bike that I have enough dosh to repair.
What amount of risk do you feel towards a repair cost after a crash? Hard to answer I know because you can’t tell how bad of a crash could happen, but do you feel pretty safe with sliders, engine case, race faring… duct tape etc.?

The 2020 XR is apparently a tad more touring and less sports than the previous generation, so something to be aware of. I’d still test ride it personally, all bikes are basically as fast as each other on the road, unless you’re the type to wantonly risk their license/life (sorry, middle aged man coming out).

Well, you can write a bike off at the track, you only have to damage the frame a bit (hence why frame protectors are a good idea). I’ve seen it a few times, thankfully I’ve never done that, so if I had an expensive track bike I would definitely get trackday insurance.

In my personal experience, track crash repairs can be as cheap as zero, i.e. sliders did their job and you’ve got some scuffs and scratches but you might be okay with that, to ruining a load of fairings which if you’re running road fairings is expensive and then delicate parts such as rearset parts, i.e. levers and footpegs as well as clipons and levers.

Buying after market rearsets where you can not only adjust them to suit track riding but also buy spare parts for (and keep with you in preparation) is a good investment IMO. Same goes for clipons you can replace with spare bars and levers… you can do one of these:

• Fit lever protectors on clutch and throttle side
  • Buy good quality levers which fold up on the bike being dropped
  • Carry spare OEM ones

Personally I found fold-up ones fitted to the bike plus keeping the OEM ones on me as spares was a good approach.

Oh, also engine protectors, must have those, It’s easy to crack a casing and to spill oil everywhere. You don’t want that as you’ll be pissing everyone else off as you’ll ruin the track and you’ll be completely out of action as in my experience (and I do have it) it’s very hard to find new casings, gaskets, gasket sealant and oil at some tracks, especially at the weekend!

GBMoto ones are very popular. They don’t look like much but they do the job it seems.

@kylejs I’m thinking you need to buy three motorcycles one for the track, one for touring and one for her. Its an all day no brainer in my book, if she wants to ride on a motorcycle encourage her to get one of her own!

@Ben_Sir_Amos @Jetstream take note :wink:

4 Likes

friend of mine is selling his CB500 track bike if you’re interested. Can run in the UK race series for extra fun too.

That is the biggest ass on a bike I’ve ever seen. What the hell!

Shock aside, I assume it has strong aero.

Must be, no aero at the front so compensate as much as possible at the rear.