Date Set For Introduction Of ULEZ

according to the TfL checker, it will...
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/check-your-vehicle
What's the bike?
monkimark
DRZ - might be an 08, but I don't think they have ever changed this bike :D

As much as the ULEZ is going to be a pain, you’re aware London exceeded Beijing for air pollution in January… this problem is bigger than just a few end cans, and I’m pretty sure that’s not where they will be focussing their attention

Pollution is rising in London because the average speed in London has dropped
And the reason it dropped over the last few years is because between the mayor and TFL they have concentrated on cycle lanes and reducing the capacity of the highways making traffic flow a lot harder and slower

They should just ban anyone from driving in London unless they live inside the north and south circular…

Nah, they should ban anyone breathing in London, especially if they live inside the orbital.

Of course the other option to buying a Euro 3 compliant bike or one made after 2007, is to buy a bike that’s probably bad for pollution from 1973 and claim the historic exemption…

Pollution is rising in London because the average speed in London has dropped And the reason it dropped over the last few years is because between the mayor and TFL they have concentrated on cycle lanes and reducing the capacity of the highways making traffic flow a lot harder and slower Wise
And we all remember the free flowing traffic before a couple of bike lanes went in...

What’ s the difference in average speed from a couple of years ago, 1 or 2 mph? Even that can’t all be put down to a few cycle lanes.

Pollution is rising in London because the average speed in London has dropped
And the reason it dropped over the last few years is because between the mayor and TFL they have concentrated on cycle lanes and reducing the capacity of the highways making traffic flow a lot harder and slower

Wise
And we all remember the free flowing traffic before a couple of bike lanes went in...
What' s the difference in average speed from a couple of years ago, 1 or 2 mph? Even that can't all be put down to a few cycle lanes.
monkimark
According to the TFL report the increased congestion is largely due to construction traffic, delivery vans (assumed to be due to the rise in e-commerce shopping) and private hire vehicles (not sure if uber count as PHV?). PHV have apparently increased by 50% in the past two years which seems like a huge rise. The other cause they list is planned and unplanned road works which they say have increased in duration by 362% between 2012-2015. Some reports list the cycle highways under construction, some under roadworks and some have them in their own category but with no numbers. I think this is because they haven't been in long enough yet for an official impact report so there will probably be something soon. 

http://www.commercialfleet.org/news/latest-news/2016/05/18/light-goods-vehicle-increase-a-major-cause-of-congestion-in-london

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2016/january/tfl-sets-out-plans-to-modernise-and-enhance-london-s-private-hire-indust

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/publications-and-reports/streets-performance#on-this-page-0

I know construction traffic near home and work for me is a complete nightmare not just due to the vehicles but also because of all the roads they’ve shut down or reduced to single lanes. I work in Holborn and two of the roads either side of the office are shut and there’s sections of New Oxford Street and High Holborn that are now single lanes for construction access. The roads round my block in Hackney Wick which were previously pretty empty are now filled with lorries, amazon vans, deliveroo mopeds and constantly covered in mud, gravel and cement. Every junction is also now a blind junction because of all the hording that they’ve put up over the pavements and part of the roads. That’s just two small areas in London and my own personal traffic hate though. 

That’s pretty much my experience working in London bridge and traveling from the north. PHV, cabs, commercial vehicles, trucks, empty buses queued up. Construction, never ending construction. It’s a mess.

No economy without all this spend i reckon.

What brexit?

(not sure if uber count as PHV?)
FlowWolf
It does, Uber needs to be licenced by a local authority and the drivers need a private hire licence.  

Feel like I should wade in with some facts as a biker and taxi driver :slight_smile:

Right, yes taxis are exempt - this is because unlike phvs (which do include uber) from 1st of January 2018 any new taxi purchased will have to be completely 0 emission capable. They will have to be electric. The price hasn’t been released yet but its looking likely to be around 55 to 60k. Currently, a new taxi costs 47k to buy, and will have to be phased out as they have a maximum license span of 15 years. So yes in theory a euro 6 purchased now will still be able to be licensed until 2032, although I think that’ll be highly unlikely, even our main organisation, LTDA, reckons our diesel cabs will mostly be gone within 5 years or so. TFL tells us what taxi we are allowed to drive, so its a bit unfair to spring us with an additional charge, when we simply have not had the choice to purchase any other vehicle to ply for hire in, but they will be phased out in any case, forcing us to buy a more expensive vehicle, so we aren’t getting off lightly with this. 

The main reason for congestion isn’t really us to be fair, whilst taxi numbers have remained at around 25000 for a good few years, phv licenses have shot up to around 120,000, and tfl continues to hand out 600 of these licenses a week. 

Since the introduction of the cycle lanes, vehicle numbers have dropped going into the city, but congestion time has risen, that is one of the real reasons for the serious pollution levels we’re all facing. They’re also closing bank junction to all traffic including motorbikes and taxis from next month, to give more room to cyclists, so good luck to all who have to commute through there.