Change to 'Race Gearing'

Hey Guys

Just wondering if anyone knows how to change the gear changing on the bike from standard ‘road’ gearing to ‘Race’ Gearing. (From 1 down 5 up to 1 up 5 down)

I’m aware its to do with changin the gear shift around. thats it

regards

on my gixer its simple just swap the little arm on the end of the gear shift from up to down, not shure about how you do it on yours…

i would say leave it as is, theres no benefit for road riding and every road bike you will ever own has 1 down and the rest up.

if you get used to race shift you will have to do it on every bike

Aye, I tried it, and couldn’t get on with it.

Course there’s a benifit… you can change up wearing flip flops without hurting your toes;):smiley:

Yup its the same on pretty much most bikes, Just flip the Gear selector arm from ontop of the gear selector shaft to undernieth and it obviously switches the push me pull you mechanism :smiley:

Also totally agree in the fact theres no point really on the road??? Only benefit is to club racers who prefare to race with 5 down 1 up. Makes their life easyier on the road rather keep switching.

Could someone explain why race bikes are configured this way? Just out of interest.

Think its because they fall over quite often and if they fall on the left side there is a chance theyll end up in neutral.:smiley:

Another interesting, if very odd, theory from Jetstream

In truth, it’s just so much easier with fitting rear set pegs to take off the gear lever, turn it through 180 and put it back on than faff around with the linkages.

Fitting the rear sets and flipping the lever takes about an hour, max.

Unless your minted and can buy a kit, making the alternative takes a couple of evenings.

All pretty irrelevant now you can commonly buy the near race product straight from the dealer and leave things as standard.

in racing its deemed faster and easyer to kick the lever down whilst accelerating up through the gears. However Ive always thought its rubbish because id prefare to kick down the gears under hard braking.

Which ever you prefare I guess?

??? hour??? Max??? rearsets???

Just flip the gear selector over. 2 mins 10mm spanner :blink:

[quote] **oldguy (14/03/2009)** --- Another interesting, if very odd, theory from **Jetstream** In truth, it’s just so much easier with fitting rear set pegs to take off the gear lever, turn it through 180 and put it back on than faff around with the linkages.

Fitting the rear sets and flipping the lever takes about an hour, max.

Unless your minted and can buy a kit, making the alternative takes a couple of evenings.

All pretty irrelevant now you can commonly buy the near race product straight from the dealer and leave things as standard.

[/quote]

Sorry LB I was in the bath testing out some new fragrent bath bubbles and a bottle of Glenfarclas. Didn`t realise Mrs Jetstream was still capable of reaching the keyboard, must tighten the cuffs and neck restraints next time I leave the vaults.

Of course Old Guy is right, no rideout for Mrs J tomorrow or at least until the bruises subside.:angry:

I found out today that Max Biaggi uses a road setup for his gear change and not the more popular race setup…

I think you’ll find it has something to do with not having your toes under the selector when banked over in a corner in case you come off and lose your toes between the selector and the tarmac along with the faster change you get from stamping on the selector. Add to this a quick shifter and the up changes are precise and very quick.

Correct:cool:

Cool Thanks. Is there a road riding reason for road setup or is that just what they decided in Japan?

One down - four or five up was a british configuration too, but originally on the other side of course;)

No one’s mentioned the old “heal and toe” levers. (For the less well versed, it’s a double ended shift lever extending either side of the footrest peg.)

Twas a very sensible arrangement giving the option of using, stone me, the toe or heel to shift gears going up through the box.

Anyone know if that’s still in use?

Doesn’t the C90 still have that arrangement?

Some of the biger Harleys still have heel and toe.

10 points for that man :cool:

it’s not losing your toes thats the problem its simply being able to get your foot under the lever to change gear mid corner. I run race shift but only noticed a problem when I raced with road shift coming out of devils elbow at mallory and the left after old hairpin at donny.