Ceausescu's Folly

Early August 2012, we are off on a little jolly to ride the Transfagarasan in Romania:) probably the best road in the world (so the say)

In very early stages of planning, will be over 8/10 days (maybe more). This will be a RIDE not a holiday, not sure of total miles yet but expect it to be in excess of 6000 so it will involve long hours in the saddle and lots of miles per day. I intend to include a couple of rest days but this will not be a trip for whimps or whingers.

There will only be 5 bike places available + us,(under no circumstances will this exceed 6 bikes) a non-refundable finacial committment will be required from ALL by the end of February 2012

All hotels will be pre-booked, and paid for in advance where possible.

Like I say, it is early days in planning and more info will follow soon.

Feel free to express an interest in joining us. if the trip gets over subscribed I will decide who goes, based mainly on riding experiance. (Oh! and whether I like you or not):w00t: or if no one wants to come we will go on our own, in the car:P:cool:

sounds fun mo, I’ve been riding 5 minutes, no one likes me and 6000 miles on my new bike would half its value so for those reasons “I’m out”… ha ha :laugh: really need to get a million miles VFR so I can not worry about putting mileage on a bike for stuff like this.

:slight_smile: This is not really one for sports bikes;) but I know peeps who use them for such jouneys, rather them than me tho;)

Good luck with the ride :slight_smile:

We tried Transfag this year, but bad weather beat us to the mountain pass. Just to warn you to allow a few days in the area if that’s your main destination.

Lots of nice things to see in Romania. I’ve got a guide book if you want to borrow.

This sounds amazing, and I really want to go back to that area… uncertain on finances though… whats the total costs, how much deposit do u want?? Oh and any offroading opportunities???

There usually are on these rides:w00t:

Offroading is never planned but is certain to happen on mo’s rides

How is the planning going? Not sure I could manage six days riding with only three hours sleep a night, eight days with eight hours sleep a night would be cool and ten days with up to eleven hours sleep a night is a right holiday.:slight_smile:

However as I quite like a lunch stop and a few visits of interest, I feel the full fat ten day option is the only temptation amongst your offerings.

Mind you for someone who baulked at Honfleur and back in a day…

By the by, if you want a dig back at me, feel free. If it helps I was remiss at checking my oil and did some damage to BB2`s engine racing TDJ back to the Ace, so bring it on big boy:P

LOL … :smiley:

We made it just inside Romania after 3 days hard motorway riding - did have stops in Stuttgart (camping), Salzberg, Vienna and Budapest.

From then the roads do get rather slower… and as KTMmartin says, don’t ride at night out there … that’s when the bad things happen.

Totally recommend taking time to enjoy the ride if you can, and not just stop at motorway service stations :slight_smile:

[quote]
Zander (04/12/2011)

LOL … :smiley:

We made it just inside Romania after 3 days hard motorway riding - did have stops in Stuttgart (camping), Salzberg, Vienna and Budapest.

From then the roads do get rather slower… and as KTMmartin says, don’t ride at night out there … that’s when the bad things happen.

Totally recommend taking time to enjoy the ride if you can, and not just stop at motorway service stations :slight_smile:

yeah! done a bit more research and will probably make this a 12/14 day trip, don’t want to use any motorways unless I have too:cool:

Those in the know take the one next door - don’t tell Top Gear…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transalpina_%28DN_67C%29

That’s not paved btw… edit: though parts were being done in 2009, maybe it is by now?

yeah! I found the DN67C too and it looks a good one to try:cool: may look at doing both;)