cbr600f cutting out once engine is warmed up

Hi - Been having a problem with the bike cutting out at low revs - but only once the engine is hot. Judging by the temp gauge it’s not overheating - the fans kick in at the right time. The bike will restart once engine has cooled down.

I’ve had this before, and replaced the reg/rec and ran the battery through optimate - which sorted the problem for a couple of months. (I did buy a cheaper non-OEM reg/rec) - Now same problem again. Anyone know if this is symptomatic of a bigger problem, or the cheapskate reg/rec?

thanks in advance

Fit a Mosfet reg. Eastern Beaver will supply you with connectors. Honda regs are their Achilles heel. Not an Electrex purchase by any chance?

Does this mean you got your bike back or is this a new one?

my bike used to do this so i fitted a switch on fan and put on early and also a 2nd fan but thats more of a stunt mod but helps

That sounds like an 80s spy film sentence :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Not sure the make but it was half the price of the oem off ebay- my fault for being cheapskate i guess. Was just worried it was a fault in the electrical system overloading it or something. Thanks for the link

Joby- recovered the bike about a week after it was taken- steering lock broken and wires cut but otherwise ok :slight_smile:

BigD - you fitted a fan for the reg/rec? Or the engine? I don’t think the engine is getting overly hot - don’t see much space to fit a fan for the reg/rec unless their tiny?

Possibly only to you and I. :wink:

First af all I’d like to say hello to all members as I’m new to this Forum.

Few weeks ago I had to repair a CBR600F from 2000, having the same issues, like yours, cutting out when hot, not starting.
I have checked stator, reg/rec, wiring loom for a short circuit, battery, they all seemed to be ok.
At the end I found that two ignition coils were loose they didn’t make the proper contact. Replaced them with brand new ones, problem completely went away.

HERE is a picture you can see, what we did with that poor bike, until we found the problem.

You could give it a try, maybe you have the same issue!

Had a similar issue on my GSXR, bike would cut out when the fan kicked in. Found out my idle revs were too low and putting t back into the recommended range fixed it. This may not be your solution but its something to consider.

Thanks for the info guys. Fitted mosfet reg and still the same issue. Idle revs are at 1.5k when engine is cool which I assume is fine. When hot and fans kick in goes down to 1k and stutters when pulling away, and eventually cuts out.

I guess will have to look at the wiring/connections, but judging from your photo hybs13 it’s a job for my mechanic

cheers

could this have anything to do with the choke? is it a bike with manual or auto choke?
im not great with fixing things etc but have been told that if your bike is warm and choke goes on should cut out so maybe yours dosent go off properly?

Shame the mosfet didn’t solve your problem, but at least you have eliminated one component, and a mosfet should last you for as long as you own the bike.
Id strongly recommend you read this: http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html
Carrying out these few simple checks will help you do a diy diagnostic on your stator.
If you park facing a wall and put your main beam on, does the engine note change, or the brightness of the beam get brighter when you rev the bike? When the fan kicks in, does the display dim or act erratically?

I still think it’s symptomatic of the fan drawing more current than the bike can provide. Can you turn the fan freely by hand? No hidden corroded connectors? Cable to fan pinched and earthing anywhere?

Shame the mosfet didn’t solve your problem, but at least you have eliminated one component, and a mosfet should last you for as long as you own the bike.
Id strongly recommend you read this: http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/104504-charging-system-diagnostics-rectifier-regulator-upgrade.html
Carrying out these few simple checks will help you do a diy diagnostic on your stator.
If you park facing a wall and put your main beam on, does the engine note change, or the brightness of the beam get brighter when you rev the bike? When the fan kicks in, does the display dim or act erratically?

I still think it’s symptomatic of the fan drawing more current than the bike can provide. Can you turn the fan freely by hand? No hidden corroded connectors? Cable to fan pinched and earthing anywhere?
If you can make it to Watford, I’ll check it for you.

Choke seems fine- it seems to completely disengage when off, but yes, worth a check

Thanks for the kind offer scorch - I’ve booked it in to the garage as i need new chain/sprockets also. (Do you offer mechanic services for future ref?)
Main beam does get brighter when revs are increased. Yes when fan kicks in things start to get erratic- i believe the display does dim, and she doesn’t sound happy… I’ll mention it to the garage.

Cheers guys

I look after a few bikes on here :slight_smile: They’ll make me get a proper job one day.
I’d bet on stator or connection from stator to reg, followed close second by a failing fan/cable/relay.
If it’s stator, insist upon OEM, rather than a cheap aftermarket model, esp. electrex.

Hi what was the problem in the end my cbr is doing the same.
regards James