Carrying a chain

@kylejs I’m going to have a look through my motorbike cupboard at the weekend and I may be putting up for sale some Kriega bags.

I’ve kept them long enough and the last time I used them was 2014… :roll_eyes:

Trouble is everytime I think about selling them I think about the cost of replacing them and I just think it’s not really that worth it :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much everyone! Love this forum :raised_hands:.

So putting a chain in the bags that @The_Sleeper mentioned and @Aceman mentioned would eventually get torn apart?

Sadly I don’t want a top box. Or at least I want to explore every other option first.

This might be interesting! @Serrisan have you used one for this purpose? I can imagine that with some inertia, the chain could pull the net quite significantly and fly off into some poor sods car :see_no_evil:

wow, thanks! Would definitely be interested. I have the US30 already, love it!

Backpack + Tailbag/Tankbag

Anyone know of any good luggage options that turn into backpacks?

Oxford do a brilliant tank bag for this. I want a quick release type one that clips on to a bracket fitted to the filler cap, but annoyingly the filler cap on my MT-07 is too far forward causing the bag to cover the dash.

I ordered one to try it out but returned it. Really nice bit of kit! Not usually a massive fan of Oxford stuff

Screenshot 2020-08-04 at 09.49.17

You’re over thinking this, just lay the padlock and chain across the pillion seat and secure by means of a couple of bungees.

2 Likes

I am a pro over thinker… haha

Might give that a try.

The backpack would be awesome for a few things though. Carrying gloves, disc lock, keys, any other shit for the journey/destination. I usually take one with me but would like to not have to wear it, especially if a chain is inside.

No, not in the Kriega tail bags, as the straps go around and on top of the bag. The Motrax bag is very good too, as the straps also go over the top of the bag, securing the chain better, therefore allowing less movement of the chain in the bag.

You can see what I mean here, as the straps on the Kriega bags go over the top of the bags, securing the stuff inside each bag down against the seat. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Yeah you may be right. I haven’t used it for this purpose and now I’m thinking of it, I think I only used mine for light stuff or for being a second layer of hold on already strapped stuff.

To be honest I gave up carrying a chain on my bike early on. It was frustrating and exhausting, especially in the wet. Putting a soggy and dirty chan into a kriega meant I had to buy different liners if I wanted to use it for clothes etc and broke my heart everytime I did it. In the end I got rid of that liner very quick as the padlock cut little holes in it. Complete waste of a liner.

My bike wasn’t really sought after and there were always better ones in the bays I parked - plus I was a bit blind (wilfully) to the risks… touch wood for the year or so I parked around london bridge on the roads and a council estate in Angel, only had one attempt outside a pub in Kings Cross (didn’t see it but came back to see my bike on floor and someone mentioning that a kid tried to test the nandlebars).

Will check what bags I have and in what condition. From memory it’s a US 20 and two US 10s. The oldest is the 20 and must be about a decade old. Not sure which straps I have for which as Kriega changed at some point around 2011 or 2012…

As NT says, properly secured bungees should hold it - although the weight of some of those almaxes is horrifying.

Yes, don’t underestimate the sheer faff involved in using a chain. When I was commuting by bike, I managed to keep the chain on the railings at work (and used the d-lock on my ground anchor at home) but even then it was a PITA crawling around on the ground and it was astonishing how it would often be 1cm too short to engage the padlock without cursing and having to rearrange things.

+1 to the grief in handling a padlock and chain and to the times when there was nothing to secure it to so had to make do with just threading it through the back wheel and over the pillion seat. I eventually gave up with the carry chain and resorted to a second disc lock for the rear wheel.

1 Like

I used to carry a heavy chain in a cheap tank bag, which was fastened to the bike by magnetism. It was never a problem.

But I have used a backpack bungeed to the pillion seat as luggage plenty of times, so would have no problem sticking a chain in one.

Mind, I do not commute and have never parked in central London, so I eventually gave up carrying a chain too as I never used it.

Too much hassle, and the sort of people who will cut through disk locks or rotors will cut through chains anyway. Not that my bike is worth the effort, which helps.

an option (though this involves cutting a hole in your bike plastics) is to lock one end of the chain to the subframe (though a hole in the rear fender) and inside a bag. then you can just wrap the other end around a post and lock it to itself (with a second lock).

ive thought about doing this on the drz, means the chain is always on the bike, you dont scratch the wheels putting chains through them, and its potentially more secure.
however, i dont mind cutting the drz, its a heap anyway, but you might not want to.

1 Like

…and the chain will have a greater reach too.

1 Like

So one thing about the top box, where I park in Finsbury Circus for work it’s not possible to lock the bike to anything (as opposed to Finsbury Square where there are places but I’m not prepared to sacrifice the convenience).

My solution is to chain the rear wheel and loop it over the pillion seat - hardly groundbreaking or original I know. The top box makes this slightly more secure in that you’d have to break the box off of its mounts to loop the chain off and it keeps the chain off the ground. If they can loop the chain off of the seat and get it dragging on the ground I think it gives you more breakage options.

My chain is a chunky ebay special and I got my mum to make up a sleeve for it on the sewing machine out of an old wax jacket. A site padlock then used for lock. Okay possibly not as secure as gold chain but my honest view is if you’ve chained it up and you’ve made it look like a serious attempt to keep it secure, then it’ll deter them unless they want it.

If you did opt for a top box which it looks like you won’t, best to mention that it will push the weight a fair deal back. It won’t dramatically affect your handling unless you’re riding something seriously light but it’ll wheelie more easily from the lights if you don’t adjust preload accordingly, and even then. A tail bag that keeps the weight over the wheel rather than hanging off the back will be much better in this respect.

If your chain is appropriately sleeved, then it is of course possible to wrap it round the pillion seat until it doesn’t wrap any more but I’ve never tried this in anger.

1 Like

don’t worry @kylejs i got you covered bro!

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: You win! :clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3::joy::joy:

1 Like

I’ll have the doner burger and chilli sauce with chips. Thanks.

I read that as dog burger.

I wouldn’t put it past you, tbh mate.

it’s not far off

Carrying a decent chain and padlock is a bit of a ball ache, for sure.When I lived in Chelsea they’d fitted the ground anchors and I used to leave the chain on there. The ground anchors are a PITA to be honest, if there’s more than one chain or another bike is parked on your chain…

I once used to park next to a street signpost and leave the chain round that, but I got a notice on it saying they were going to cut off if it wasn’t removed in 7 days… ‘obstacle on the pavement’ apparently, although they didn’t seem so concerned about all the bins and other objects further down.

To transport it I used an Oxford tank bag with magnetic grips (this is on a Triumph Trident 900) which works well but you really need to make sure nothing is rattling around in there and also to layer the bottom so you don’t dent the tank! Wrapping round the rear grab rail is doggy as unless it’s tight it’ll wear away the paint or damage the seat or rear guard.

Good luck!

1 Like