car driving lessons

I hear it’s in the navy that you do all the looking back … and reaching around .

A chap I used to work with from Newzealand who has his bike license said that his dad was insistant that all of his children learned to ride motorcycles in order to develop some road sense before the drove cars. He said that out there you can drive at 16 and many families had lost one of their children in a car accident. He said all you needed was a couple of mates egging you on and you’d do something stupid. Passing on a bike first and developing some road sense was safer.

I got my car license first and started taking bike lessons immediately after passing. I think taking bike lessons slowed me down in the car. I just thought, “why bother pushing this it’s not even fast compared to the bike.” I think riding the bike definitely raised my awareness and improved my road sense.

Taking bike lessons straight after passing my car test was definitely a good idea as I had no bad habits to iron out on the bike. I was well used to driving by the rules to the letter and being under instruction the whole time.

You have your license from the date you first got it - not the date you got an additional category. Upon passing, Anna will not get a new license - she will just have category B added to her existing A license. When they ask how long she has had her license, they don’t ask when she passed her test…

oh ok. coolio :slight_smile: I stand corrected

right, Ross, your mum’s mate is not really giving you a deal of any sort, those prices of £45 phr i don’t know where you’ve seen them, i’ve noticed in sw, where i am it’s tiny bit more expensive to learn than in se, and in se if you pay in block then £18 phr is very possible. my driving lessons cost me £20 per hour. and my first lesson where i actually drove right from the word go, cost me nothing at all and this is at Magnun driving school. so your mum’s mate better teach you some advanced stuff too in order for you to feel like you’re getting a good deal :slight_smile:

i don’t care if a car is brand new or old, presonally i would prefer old :wink: but trust me it will be cheaper to rent a car due to the amount driving i’m going to do. which is next to none…maybe odd trip here and there, if i buy a car it will literally just sit there gathering dust or will get me into bad habits like driving a car to do my grocery shopping…

unless i get a job where driving a car is paramount which i will be trying to get into

thank you for correcting Jaime, he nearlly shattered my dreams by saying i have to wait 1 or 2 years, i’ve waited for so many things in life for years and years…i just don’t have the patience anymore. :smiley:

haha so much crap on this thread i dont know where to start, but advanced driving instructor? every driving instructor is qualified to teach advanced driving, if she is DSA qualified she is a normal driving instructor.
Make sure your instructor has a green badge, not a pink one (trainee)
driving instructors tell you to delay your test if you are not safe, end of. Nothing to do with stats, as you can put the best driver forward for a test, and if nerves take over you’ll fail anyway. The calm people pass :slight_smile:
ALL instructors are independent, whether or not they belong to a school, we are ALL self employed, and being with a school is really only renting a car. Its the DSA we answer to.

If anyone needs honest advice, instead of hearsay which tends to spread on these threads, feel free to give me a shout. :wink: You’re not my pupil so i’ve got no reason to lie have I, unlike your instructors lol :smiley:

Also, to add to what Mel said… Before going to a test make sure the car has Road Tax and is road legal. There was a Watchdog case featuring all the giants (BSM, AA, etc) and a lot of their cars were untaxed. BSM being the worse. If your car isn’t road legal you will not be sitting the test and will have to wait in the queue again.