Camden Parking Review

Food delivery riders accident rates could be reduced by the extra training received in obtaining a full licence. Also ‘our’ accident rate would increase if we spent similar hours clocking up the intergalactic mileages they put in. The comparison you should be making is between the ‘L’ plated food delivery riders and their more professional full licence holding cousins the courier riders!

4 Likes

Update: a deputisation was made to a full Camden Council meeting. The decision on this has been put off until July 2021 and the councillor responsible for the consultation and plans will now meet with motorcycling groups. The has been reported in Camden New Journal and also MCN may have reported on the story. Motorcyclists make plea over plans to hike their parking fees | Camden New Journal

1 Like

Thanks for posting the update. This affects me, and I objected. All seems very sneaky to try and push it through during lockdown.

1 Like

You are welcome! I think they thought they could just slip it through while no-one was looking. At least they will be meeting with us now and we can put a lot of arguments forward.
They didn’t realise how many people would be affected - no surprise really as it is difficult to find out how many MCs travel to the borough, are owned by residents in the borough etc etc. However, they didn’t try to engage the community either and ignored offers from the MC side to meet.
There were 574 responses to Camden’s consultation (a proportion of these will have been objections) and nearly 1500 signatures to the Save London Motorcycling open letter.

1 Like

I’ve just read the article (the link at the bottom works properly).
This is the disingenuous comment by the Adam Harrison:
"Labour councillor Adam Harrison, said no decision had been made on the changes …“We were looking at a daily permit of £6 a day, the equivalent permit for a car would be £36, so I don’t think there would be a direct shift [to cars].”
It’s that old argument ‘well it’s only £6 a day’, but of course it’s not. Anyone occasionally parking might not be too worried by that but we’re talking about regular riders. For a 5 day week it’s £30 out of a small wage packet and the risk of a fine if you forget to pay.

2 Likes

But apparently they’ve done an Equality Impact Assessment and no-one will be disadvantaged by this… except the gig economy and key workers. We are expecting to meet with Adam Harrison before this comes back to the council for a decision. If they really must charge (and it is possible that residents are in favour of charges) then it should be no more than Westminster charges.

2 Likes

Just saw this post for the first time - my god, what is this country turning into?.. It’s like a bloody nazi state with everything forbidden. You can’t say this, you can’t do that, this is too loud, that is too fast. Say something wrong and you get a knee in your back, get pinned down to the ground and get a thousand pound fine.

At times when the government should be doing whatever it can to make it easier for people they do the opposite. And it’s all escalating so rapidly it’s insane. Even 10 years ago didn’t feel as bad as it does now.

Copied from a thread on Reddit:

The passing of the Policing Bill made me reflect on a lot of worrying things that have happened over the last decade.

Brexit disconnecting ourselves from trade and legal intervention from our surrounding countries followed by a historic rise in our nuclear stockpile cap, counteracting nuclear disarmament
Investigatory Powers Act 2016 allowing the government to monitor and collect everyone’s communication data in bulk
Government-ordered ‘independent review’ into the Human Rights Act
Overseas Operations Bill currently in the House of Lords essentially allowing soldiers oversees to commit torture and other war crimes abroad without prosecution/legal consequence
Met Police enabling facial recognition in CCTV against government advise whilst flat-out denying any/all allegations of institutional overuse of powers despite endless evidence to the contrary (see: stop and search statistics, deaths in police custody i.e. Mohamud Mohammed Hassan leading only to ‘police misconduct’ notices, undercover officers entering romantic relationships under false pretences with little consequences, Black Lives Matter and Sarah Everard protest police kettling occurring right before violence, Cherry Groce)
Dismissal of Black Lives Matter protests leading to a statue toppling by our Home Secretary as ‘dreadful’ conveniently followed by a serious increase in police powers introducing 10 year sentences for statue toppling and for ‘serious annoyance and inconvenience’
Reacting to the murder of a woman by a police officer by installing hidden police officers within nightclubs without prompt or previous demand under the guise of women’s safety
As of yesterday the Home Secretary signalling she’ll be implementing First Past the Post voting in London’s mayoral elections because “transferable voting systems were rejected by the British people in the 2011 nationwide referendum” (a position historically held by the opposing party)

Then there’s the way the Conservative Party spends taxpayer money and chooses trade partners:

PM Boris Johnson being found in the UK courts via the Good Law Project to have broken the law misleading parliament with PPE contract information. The consequences so far asking where billions of pounds has lbeen spent has been… Nothing. Meanwhile the government can only afford a 1% NHS pay rise following the biggest challenge in decades the health system has faced and successfully overcome (so far)
At the same time as above, the government are proposing to cut our foreign anti-corruption spending by 80% whilst also cutting foreign aid to countries like Yemen yet continuing to fund Saudi Arabia
Dominic Raab tells UK officials to trade with countries which fail to meet human rights standards in newly leaked video and Boris speaks how China poses ‘great challenge for an open society’ (doublespeak, anyone?)

Not to mention other unresolved issues like:

Grenfell still has nobody found of any wrongdoing with no housing for victims 3 years later
Continuing error with and deportations of Windrush citizens
Continual dismissal and ignoring of the impending global warming crisis
Breaking international law by extending the Ireland trade grace period against the wishes of the EU, making us look like untrustworthy trading partners worldwide
Russian interference with the 2016 Brexit referendum not investigated by the government
The Royal Family quietly avoiding coverage of their paedophilic Prince Andrew via reacting to a royal couple fleeing to the US due to negative press and race-related experiences (responding with polite shock, denial and a negative public reaction matching the negative press that surrounded them from the start in the first place)

All in all, I feel like I’m witnessing this country take more and more steps towards ignorant, authoritarian fascism… We’re distancing ourselves from all other countries, doubling down on making up our own rules allowing our branches of law enforcement to enforce with little restrictions or consequence whilst strengthening ties with countries that do the same. I’m really struggling to see much good happening here beyond the vaccination program which, although is going great, is something we’re ploughing ahead with mainly for self-preservation reasons. I’m left wondering what this country is supposed to represent any more.

I’m all ears to any thoughts on my observations. I’m trying not to be a Scrooge, but I see almost nothing to be happy about in the UK politically speaking at the moment.

Edit: It’s somewhat reassuring to know I’m not the only person feeling like this, but I did want to hear more alternative opinions. So please, if you disagree with what I’ve pointed out and think there’s things I’m overlooking to be proud of in the UK at the moment, do feel free to say so in the comments.

Edit 2: I’ll be updating the above list of concerning policies and decisions as comments remind me of things I forgot about.

1 Like

Just a quick suggestion, Kevsta - you might want to use quotes for your text blocks as it’s otherwise very hard to read as you have to scroll long distances horizontally.

You can use the > character for that, just do

> Some text here

I agree with everything the poster has written but not sure what it has to do with Camden trying to reduce motor dependence. Camden are not part of Johnson’s populist assault on the country, they are historically quite left leaning, often half jokingly referred to by us Camden residents as the People’s Republic of Camden.

On the subject of an out-of-control authoritarian government, this morning’s post by David Allen Green is a chilling lawyerly take on some of what that Reddit poster mentions:-

It was a response to @Cypher saying what is this country turning into. I’d just read that and thought it was a good response to his statement.

Basically it comes down to 10 years of tory government starving this country of investment, and funding. It results in local government trying to get money at any cost.

2 Likes

I don’t live in Camden but I used to park there a lot. There are major plans by the council to change the parking charges and not for the better! I got the following campaign news from a mailing list that I think anyone, bike and car drivers alike should see.

https://c40kh.r.sp1-brevo.net/mk/mr/sh/SMJz09SDriOHUnTr8au4j8W2Y3lu/6I0XV5OjARdF

1 Like