Buying a new bike

Yo yo yo!  How’s everyone? :slight_smile:

Question:  I want to buy a motorcycle 150miles away from my home.  I am not due to do my DAS till first week of Sept.  I am thinking of going there see the bike, pay for it, sign the V5 transfer form, and get it transported to my home and garaged till I get my licence and can insure it(or can i?).  Does anyone see a problem with this plan?  :)  I obviously fell in love with a bike and need it in my life whatever the cost!

Can’t see a problem except if it gets nicked from your garage it won’t be insured.

Can't see a problem except if it gets nicked from your garage it won't be insured. mole
If I could, I'd keep mine in my bedroom.

Yeah the only thing.  Although I have installed a second anchor set, so one at the front one at the back.

The rear anchor and chain is this: Almax Immobiliser Series IV + Squire SS65CS Lock + Defiant Ground Anchor

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/Almax-Immobiliser-Series-IV–Squire-SS65CS-Lock–Defiant-Ground-Anchor__p-131.aspx

I don’t see a problem either. I bought my bike before passing DAS test and kept in my garage until that sunny day i got it insured :slight_smile:

You might need to declare it SORN for the period of time between getting it and insuring it - otherwise you can be done for it not being insured.

Are you getting it collected at the same time as paying or afterwards? … if afterwards Are you buying it private or from a dealer ? As takes a lot of trust if private sale
You can insure it without the licence BUT idoubt if many companies will even give a quote and those that do it will be expensive

Potential problem if you fail your DAS…has been known to happen.  

Talk to bikesure they cover layed up bikes 

https://www.bikesure.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKEAjwltC9BRDRvMfD2N66nlISJACq8591OyklnOmlVWKimcZIz4n4ZEIPpckWxVnBXKjZdvaITBoCkifw_wcB

https://www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk/help/can-you-insure-me-before-i-take-my-full-bike-test

If your so sure of the bike then hire s a van. Cheaper than transportation.

While I understand the craving to buy a new bike or the need to snatch a bargain or good deal… I would not buy the bike until you have the licence, there is thousands of bikes put on sale very day in the UK, plus as September approaches your are more likely to find better prices from fair weather riders selling their bikes at the end of the season. Not to mention failing your DAS, sorting a transport etc… I would hold it, unless it’s really the deal of the year. 

Not really an answer to your question but another thing to keep in mind. From what I know you need to do your first service at the dealership you bought it from (at least that was the case for me both times). After you can service in any dealership of the same manufacturer (if you want a nice, “clean”) service book.

If you don’t care about “cleanliness” then nothing to worry about, otherwise be prepared to travel to that dealership at least one more time after the first 600 miles.

I’m with wildboy. I would wait to buy your bike until you pass your DAS. I know you must be itching to get it but there will always be good deals out there. Especially if your willing to travel a bit. I went straight from the test centre to buy a bike. I knew I would be too tempted to “just give it a little spin”.

Then again that’s not what your asking. Can’t see the problem with the OP as long as you SORN it.

Thanks guys so much for the input.  If I do decide to go down the buy it store it in a locked private compound/garage space(ie off the street), I still have to SORN it?

Thanks guys so much for the input.  If I do decide to go down the buy it store it in a locked private compound/garage space(ie off the street), I still have to SORN it? Dingo-Biker
If it's not insured/ Road tax paid you need to SORN

It won’t have road tax because of the new rules that do not allow the transfer of road tax to the new keeper/owner. It probably wont be insured either. Therefore it will definitely need to be SORN.

If you want it buy it. You’ll pass your test. Eventually.

If you want it buy it. You'll pass your test. Eventually. eezie
I brought my son a motorbike in 2014 hoping it would encourage him to pass his test

two years later he picks it up tomorrow after passing on the 4th attempt

it has also took some time & money having to commission it for the road again