Brands trackday crash

A classic case of trying to lap the world and his dog on the out lap. I wonder if he had used tyre warmers?

I feel for the guy who was rear ended big time.

RE the legal thing. Track Time promotions was wound up after the second time a punter tried to take them to court. Phil said he’d had enough.

He is not even leant over really, just grabbed a big handfull on cold tyres. I doubt TDO could have done much about it and I would think if he denied all knowledge then there is zero chance of getting a penny out of him. It’s the kind of stunt you might expect if you were racing, but some idiots want to wave their willies on a trackday trying to prove they are the fastest when they can’t ride for toffee. Taking him in the back of a van and beat the living sh*t out of him would be my preferred method of repayment.

I’m sure that if you read the small print on the ideminty form it states you cant claim against other trackday goers… not 100% sure on that but sure i read it on some paperwork…

Mmmm, yes, worth pointing out here that if you have an issue, make sure you’re taking it out with the right people. Biting the hand that feeds you is never a good thing in this relatively small world of biking we have.

The guy was on an out lap, cold tyres and even in the wrong position coming into GH bend even if you were planning to go hot. Obviously a tw*t who can’t ride for toffee, ego writing cheques his skills and brain can’t match.

He should pay for the damage but reading the comments it seems claimed some BS about being clipped by another rider. The correct etiquette in that situation is for the rider he hit (if uninjured as I hope) to get up check on the tool who took him out and if he is fairly okay but protesting his innocence then beat seven shades out of him. Then beat him some more.

I fail to see what the hell he was doing here except being a shocking liability to everyone else out there. Please note that there is a lesson to be learned here for anyone doing a trackday for the first time. Or even the second. Not sure what group it was but most probably inters as this is where most of these idiots try to prove something. Racers can hard pass but on a trackday the duty of care is for the passer especially as the person in front may not have the experience to hold a line.

Harsh maybe (I have just got back in from being on the lash) but this type of behaviour really burns me up. The trackdays are organised with an emphasis on safety and consideration and would be devoid of blame here. Especially as they have acted quickly to get everyone back to the pits after the incident.

It’s not nonsense but it’s not difficult for the orgaiser to demonstrate a suitable level of care, I’ve seen MSV warn riders and in one case take a chap off track because of the way he was driving (on a car TD), just demonstrates that they are managing the day properly, very difficult to claim from somebody who has demonstrated a suitable level of care. It’s a track and incidents will happen, you can’t stop that happening, especially idiots on cold tyres, but you do expect the organiser to take action against the dangerous.

Just out of curiosity can someone explain what happened in this video of another Brands track day incident?

My first thought was that the rider had lost the front but when I watched it the second time I can see a dark line appear from the rear so it suggests the rider gave it too much throttle at the wrong point of the bend, spun up the rear, lost grip then lowsided?

Having never done a track day myself I’m interested to understand how what at first seemed to be a simple manoeuvre turned into a crash, as the rider didn’t obviously appear to do much wrong?

Looks like he took it to the edge of the colder side of the tyre (Indy only really warms the left side at GH so not as grippy as right side) then gave it a bit to much throttle, spin up and lowside. If he had been in a better body position the bike wouldn’t have been quite so leant over and he’d have been okay.

Number of factors - colder side of the tyre, right on the edge of the contact patch and a little too much berries on the throttle IMO

on my first track day one of the guys who was supposed to be a novice and clearly was not was asked to leave and promptly did…

On the point of critique, without all the evidence we cannot say much about this incident really, we cannot therefore just go laying blame even though it looks like he was in the wrong place at the wrong time…asking for compensation is plain daft.

The reality is that track day riding is not as safe as any of you seem to think it is…and yes there are some complete loons who think nothing of cutting you up to show that they can get past you…but come to the kart track and watch some of the 10 year olds race, they scare the bejesus out of me…track days are dangerous, if you think anything else then dont go…if you dont want to be putting yourself at risk again dont do it…going slow is no guarantee of safety…

What worries me is that you will all be asking for laws to be put in place next, no overtaking on a blind bend with the wind behind you etc etc etc… we all make mistakes and this guy did just that…dumb daft silly dangerous what ever you want to say…but its still a mistake and an accident…

hands up those who have never made a silly mistake before…my hands down for sure…

2strokes has it bang on. there IS some complete nonsense posted on this thread that clearly shows some folk are just simply not meant to be out on track. Its dangerous and everything happens very quickly. Mistakes are made even at the highest level and that doesn’t mean someone needs to pay or get a kicking for it ffs!!!

there is no etiquette for paying if you have a smash up with someone else. that is completely and utterly confusing. This is a race track not a road. You sign your idemnity therefore you don’t go being a sneaky little blighter and start sueing people.

If you want to go on track then have a ball as its the best experience ever…but if you don’t/can’t deal with some of the possible outcomes then please don’t go ruining it for the rest of us.

didn’t actually say he was leant over far, but it doesn’t take the front being twisted much to aggravate clumsy braking on cold tyres

Doubt it… he’s under no obligation to pay for it.

For sure, though I would personally expect them to pay. There’s no insurance here and of course you’ve signed an indemnity form, but still, if you hit someone, it’s your responsibility, just like it would be on the road.

I think there’s a moral obligation in there somewhere.

But as ever, this sort of view is subjective and there will be differing opinions.

Disagree and agree. Yes trackdays can be dangerous…erm it is after all motorcycling not needlework.

BUT the big points I make about this one guy was:

1. He was not racing - racing accepts greater risk than an organised trackday. As we know on a trackday there are disclaimers which everyone signs and a structure to maximise safe enjoyable fun. If you yourself fall off, then you can’t sue, can’t claim and quite right too - chalk it up to experience. BUT if someone acted like a t*t and took you out - then although there is no formal recourse they should have the moral spine and stones to take responsibility.

If a pile of bikes went down in front and you couldn’t avoid them and went down too then tough ttties - thats biking. IF you get swept off from behind by some cnts bike as he can’t ride it and it’s going 20-30mph more than everyone else adhering to the rules, then he is at fault and deserves a shoeing if not able to deal with that.

1. Watch the video - He is shocking, absolutely terrible, every mistake under the sun but those mistakes (okay everyone makes mistakes) come first from his inexplicable decision to try and pass the world and his wife on a warm up lap on the brakes on the inside of GH.

If you took someone out ON A TRACKDAY like the guy in the video did and they ended up dead or paralysed would you shrug and tell them thats the beauty of m/cycling? No I would put my hand in my pocket and ensure that my mistake gets paid for.

well thats not how it rolls and you’ll just have to give them a kicking! You want money for a crash you happened to be involved in …stay on the roads!!!

I’ve been left with more injuries than you could ever imagine due to a riders inability to make the correct decision (pull off the track when blown up). This could be a trackday mistake or a race one…it makes no difference. If we all started sueing for this then there would be no sport/trackday companies.

The bloke in the vid made a mistake…it happens. Nobody goes out to try and take someone out…if it happens then that sucks but thats how it has to be and how it is.

Nope you miss the point. I don’t want money after every crash OR too stay on the road (in fact I do more track than road now). I even totalled a road bike at GH bend 2 years ago on a trackday. Once my broken hand healed up I took the instant £3k loss in value and turn it into a nice little track tool :smiley: ! It was my f*ck up i take the loss. If my bike in that situation had taken someone else out then I would deal with them as an adult rather then pretend it wasn’t my fault as the comments on the video suggest…

No one can sue race organisers or trackdays organisers for recompense - this is the bit I agree with you on. BUT even racers jump up (if lucky enough to be uninjured) to go after a guy that took them out if they feel it was dumb/dangerous/deliberate.

Fluids on a racetrack are less clear cut. You have rules (lockwire on sump plugs, tray, warning flags) to prevent it but it is also something that could happen with every crash. Negligent to ride on the racing line spewing muck because of what might happen, but different to the guy shown on the video who came through another rider like an exocet because his ego was out of control.

And finally, trackdays are not racing. I know that you are a racer and with this in mind accept proportionally more risk than a novice group rider on their first trackday. You also have the skills to back this up and mitigate the increase in risk.

the main point is that guy was a tw@t, proper !!

all you can do is go out and enjoy your TD and dont make the same mistake that fool did…

TD’s are still way more fun and way safer than riding on the road…

Nobody is under any obligation to pay anything, if I get taken out by somebody then that’s just tough, hence the need for a track bike that can slide across the track with hopefully only a few hundred pounds worth of damage at most. If you take your road/show bike on track then you’ve got to accept that you could loose it or end up spending thousands to repair it.

My point about TD organisers wasn’t very clear perhaps, I’m not suggesting they are responsible for accidents like the one in the video, but ultimately are responsible for the conduct of every rider once they are made aware that there’s a tw&t on track and choose to do nothing about it.

[quote]
Yslart (16/04/2008)

My point about TD organisers wasn’t very clear perhaps, I’m not suggesting they are responsible for accidents like the one in the video, but ultimately are responsible for the conduct of every rider once they are made aware that there’s a tw&t on track and choose to do nothing about it. [/quote]dude is there a particular grieveance you’re trying to air here? made aware how specifically? Riders should be responsible for themselves and to try not to screw up anyone elses day.