BLACK PIAGGIO SKIPPER... NEED TO FIND ITS OWNER FAST! VRM> LK04 D** (North london)

To cut a long story short…

A week or so ago I come accross a piaggio skipper 125 that seemed to be stolen, I reported it to the police who told me that it was… so I done all the neccersary things to prevent the thieving bastards riding it again!

2hours later the police turned up/ripped the VRM off and took the front wheel (he said it was his way of making it immobile untill a truck arrives) And i didnt think much of it…

Now the bike is still sitting there… the police have no record of my call, (I stupidly didnt take the reference number) and they cannot go by the VRM I have given them as there isnt one on the bike!

So the vehicle has been issued with an “ABANDONED” notice… staing it needs to be collected by the 2nd of july :confused:

Otherwise it will be impounded for destruction!

(Small print also states it is a criminal offence to touch the bike without being the registered keeper or having written permission from the council. So I applied for permission on thursday and they said they will get back to me within 10days!) /by that time it will be in the shape of a 2x2, So We need to find theowner! I do have the full VRM but Not sure if it is a good idea to post it…

You appear to be the only person in London doing anything about stolen bikes…

I salute you sir!

+1, although I would say one of the few, in London.

I don’t see what the problem is with the police, you have the reg plate number? They say it was stolen. Why can’t they phone, email, text, Facebook, or carrier pigeon the owner of the bike?? Mind you the police were good when I had my bike stolen/ recovered last week

I feel like I owe it to the bikers amoungst us all… I used to be a chav and went through a bad stage once in my life, got mixed with the wrong crowed and stole a few pizza bikes,

then I got a passion for bikes… got mine… got it stolen…

So I know How easy it is to steal them and how much easier it is to return them…

and yes! if I could I would go back and not have done it… but the past is the past… And I do apologies…

Just dont have any idea on how to go about finding the owner!

iv checked the stolen ads on here and gumtree… but there is nothing!

(The police told me the other day when I reported it) it was stolen in april i think, so posts will be hard to find!

The bike mustn’t be registered otherwise they’d contact the owner

Ok, well I have been onto the police again hassling them!

It seems they have tried to contact the owner but have had no luck, and as the bike has no tax they have to report it to the council (Because the estate is classed as a private road) and the council will have to deal with it… So… my consent to remove it myself via the council is still pending and I have to wait upto 8 days!

I have asked the police for permission to remove it and she said that she cant grant me permission but she will forward it to the relivant department who will contact me regarding if I can move it etc… (Fingers crossed)

But… my question for you guys/girls…

What should I ask and find out before I take it / get permission?

ie:

How long do I have to wait before it is classed as mine?

Will I be legally obliged to any tickets etc issued to the bike?

Will I be allowed the contact details of the owner?

ETC ETC ETC…

P.s

Also managed to get my crime ref number! :cool:

To be honest mate I think you’re fighting a losing battle, you’ve done more than enough to find the owner, at the end of the day the owner hasn’t come forward so can’t be that bothered about getting it back. The police don’t seem to be bothered either, meanwhile you’re spending your own money (on phone calls) and time on something that nobody else seems to be bothered about…my advice to you is to walk away knowing you’ve done what you could and hope a chav Knicks it and crashes it and scrapes bother of his/ her knees

So…
It seems I was waistimg my time…

I had been hassling the council and the police to give me permission, but apparently it had to go through the correct channels first.
That takes too long in my opinion because now it has gone! A guy come yesterday from the council contractors and took it away, he did call his boss to see if I could take it but his boss said he can’t authorise it without written confirmation…

At least I tried!

my sis found a vespa (50 special…original vespa) abandoned in the park behind her old flat opposite limehouse DLR…she put in a claim for rights to ownership and ended up with the bike.she stored it in a uncles garage and he ended up selling it :pinch: i’ll ask her how long it took and what she had to do