Bike Cover Theft

Last night 28/06/16 (possibly even in the day) the cover was stolen from my GS in SW12, I am now wondering firstly, why?!  Secondly, if anyone thinks this may indicate anything further than just opportunistic little FUCKRS with sticky fingers?  Checked my locks and can’t see any signs of a struggle. Any advice appreciated.  Absolutely shocked and appalled every time I read a post on this page, I feel for you all.

Thanks. A.

Don’t your cover allow for your chains to go through your cover?
Might be drunks or opportunist.
I personnally would move the bike or increase security.

Tramps steal them because they are nice and cosy to sleep in.

My neighbour had the cover on his BMW GT half removed. I though it was being checked out. He did nothing

The next morning him and 2 police officers starring at the parking empty space. I told him I had seen the cover moved the night before. He replies “I’ve had covers stolen before” FFS

He never did replace his bike

Wind ?

I got my leg cover stolen in first instance, then they tried to steal it twice.

Last night 28/06/16 (possibly even in the day) the cover was stolen from my GS in SW12, I am now wondering firstly, why?!  Secondly, if anyone thinks this may indicate anything further than just opportunistic little FUC*K*RS with sticky fingers?  Checked my locks and can't see any signs of a struggle. Any advice appreciated.  Absolutely shocked and appalled every time I read a post on this page, I feel for you all.

Thanks. A.

abritishfellow
Last night it was raining, it's possible that someone in need of sleeping dry did it... or it could be some cheap scumbags, lock it!

Interesting replies, hadn’t thought of the need for waterproof bedding idea.  I can live with that in honesty.  Although where I live there aren’t too many homeless people around that i’ve noticed.  Not sure how I can increase security any further than the set up I currently have. Disk lock, chain to tall post, cover, alarm and standard steering lock and immobiliser business.  Other than moving the bike out of London, which seems to defeat the point of having a bike to start with.

I will admit I haven’t used the little holes in the cover to lock it to the bike, perhaps stupidly thought having the cover stolen wasn’t something to worry about.  I wondered perhaps someone locally lost or had theirs stolen and saw mine as an opportunity to replace theirs for free. Have bought a new one and will use the lock it to the bike feature and see how I get along I suppose.

I would always lock the disclock through the hole in the cover. I use one front and one back. Bit of a faff and not sure I would do it if I was commuting daily on it. But it does make it that bit more difficult for others to spot a bike for theft, as well as stealing it.

I had a cover stolen in Angel, back when I used to park on road with a cheap cover. didn’t have any issue with the bike so I’m guessing it was someone homeless. If it was, and he/ she got a better nights sleep, so be it… my £10 cover aint worth that much to me.

The thieving element will take anything. Using locking loops makes the bike much harder to steal also, especially if you lock it down to the front and back wheels. Someone had a go at mine once and managed to rip it but it didn’t give way.

Interestingly I noticed an identical cover over a scooter two streets from me last night.  It would seem a little strange for a scooter rider to buy an XL cover I think?  Mine had a tear in it so i’m inclined to go take a proper look, don’t like the idea of snooping around other peoples things in the dark but at the same time If it is mine i’d quite like it back!  Whats your thoughts?

Can’t you see the tear just walking past it in daylight?

Its right at the bottom where the clip does up, from pulling it too tight against my metal foot pegs. quite subtle but I know its there.  Of course more than one cover was made so could just be total coincidence but would be good to know

If it’s your cover, scooter might be stolen as well.

Me thinks you’ll have a loose shoe lace as you walk closely by … !