Best commuting scooter?

i would say the following are suitable for commuting

yam maxi scooter range
honda pcx
honda silver wing
piaggio xevo
Piaggio fly
Aprilla SR MAX 125

@ Ross - Just because it looks like a bike it doesn’t mean it is a bike. Whilst traditional scooter had a foot board its consumer demand that encourages new concepts that go into the design on scooters. At the end of the day that Aprilia is a twist-and-go scooter as it has CVT. It fits the criteria of a scooter. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it usually is a duck.

Scooters, underbones, and mopeds

Scooter engine sizes range smaller than motorcycles, 50–650 cc (3.1–40 cu in), and have all-enclosing bodywork that makes them cleaner and quieter than motorcycles, as well as having more built-in storage space.[8] Automatic clutches and continuously variable transmissions(CVT) make them easier to learn and to ride.[8] Scooters usually have smaller wheels than motorcycles. Scooters usually have the engine as part of the swingarm, so that their engines travel up and down with the suspension.

Underbones are small-displacement motorcycle with a step-through frame, descendants of the original Honda Super Cub. They are differentiated from scooters by their larger wheels and their use of footpegs instead of a floorboard. They often feature a gear shifter with an automatic clutch.

The moped used to be a hybrid of the bicycle and the motorcycle, equipped with a small engine (usually a small two-stroke engine up to 50 cc, but occasionally an electric motor) and a bicycle drivetrain, and motive power can be supplied by the engine, the rider, or both.

In many places, mopeds are subject to less stringent licensing than bikes with larger engines and are popular as very cheap motorbikes, with the pedals seeing next to no use. Mopeds were very popular in the United States during the fuel-crisis of the late 1970s and early 1980s, but their popularity has fallen off sharply since the mid 1980s. In response to rising fuel prices in the first decade of the 2000s, U.S. scooter and moped ridership saw a resurgence.[8] Sales of motorcycles and scooters declined 43.2% in 2009, and continued to decrease in the first quarter of 2010, with scooter sales doing worst, down 13.3% compared to a 4.6% drop for all two-wheelers.[19]

Other types of small motorcycles include the monkey bike, welbike, and minibike.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_motorcycles#Scooters.2C_underbones.2C_and_mopeds

Daniel - I’m pretty sure that the owners of all vintage traditional scooters will fundamentally disagree with your definition of what a scooter is ;-). (They have manual gearboxes…)

If you’re going to quote wikipedia:

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooter_(motorcycle))

The DNA is not a bike nor is that massive Honda 900cc auto

@ Simon - as I (not wikipedia) wrote above "Whilst traditional scooter had a foot board its consumer demand that encourages new concepts that go into the design on scooters. ".

Its not what the thing looks like that defines a scooter its the mechanics.

No, it’s exactly what the thing looks like that defines a scooter. From the Oxford English Dictionary:

(You’ll find the vast majority of dictionaries have exactly the same definition).

-simon

Ok well if you insist thats what a scooter is we’ll just make a new category called junk for the rest. :slight_smile:

come on boys. stop willy bashing :doze:

It looks I will have to as I’ve got to pop out. Should see you all later at the ace for a bit and we can willy bash in public :wink:

awesome. look forward to a good bashing :laugh:

"DanielGT (24/02/2012)**

@ Ross - Just because it looks like a bike it doesn’t mean it is a bike. Whilst traditional scooter had a foot board its consumer demand that encourages new concepts that go into the design on scooters. At the end of the day that Aprilia is a twist-and-go scooter as it has CVT. It fits the criteria of a scooter. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it usually is a duck.
"

so what is the difrence between a scooter and a bike?

just cos its a auto well what about this in your case this is a motorbike?

if all your class a scooter as a auto then that kymco is a motorbike.

no a scooter and a motorbike is defined by looks if it looks like a bike its a bike if it looks like a scooter its a scooter

Who said that was my definition???

Remove that pole from your arse

miss read it you said Honda 900 and the thing i posted wasn’t a Honda.

anyways what is all your definition of a scooter’s then

Man, this argument is so yesterday!