Being miserable in Norway

Hey guys,

Now as you will have noticed I moved to Norway with my (Norwegian) girlfriend in September and while initially it all seemed quite nice and relaxing out here it’s now changed completely. After the inital buzz of being somewhere new wore off I’m now bored out of my freaking mind and I miss being in London and slicing up the traffic everyday. Am I crazy?

I mean sure, it’s nice here, we’ve got fresh air and peace and quiet. But we are also snowed in, I haven’t been able to ride my bike for a month and a pizza costs 30 quid. A job would help, but they only hire people who speak Norwegian, and there are no classes available at the moment.

Sure I love my girlfriend but how much of my life that I love and enjoy am I willing to give up for anybody? It’s a tough question.

Despite being knocked off from time to time I really loved being a courier in London…

So, what do you guys say? Should I just leave the missus behind and go back? The boredom and frustration here is just getting unbearable. Life in London wasn’t easy either but it resembled life more than this does…

sweetheart…if she loves you and sees you are unhappy she will follow you to the ends of the earth

but have you really given it enough time and opened new avenues of opprtunity which have not become apparent yet ?

also…

when all is not looking well and you feel you cant cope with what you have

why not do a runner !

everything looks fine and rosy to start with and its all new and fun and you’d wished you’d done this long ago

then the same old stuff comes back and bites you on the ar*e…

isnt it time you looked to yourself for the answers rather than expect something/one to make you happy

work on what you have to make the change

Although there aren’t any classes available, are you watching the telly a lot? You’ll pick up a good bit just by actively listening. How about getting yourself a basic grammar book so you can at least work at acquiring the language a bit more strenuously. Or even try to make friends with other people who are around during the day that you can get some conversation practice with while the missus is out earning a crust?

It was a brave move to up sticks and get over there, and just coming up to the bleakest season as well. If you really put your mind over the dark months to getting to grips with the lingo then by spring things might all look very different.

Alternatively look for international companies. Quite often they will have English as the company language, so although you may not be able to chat over the coffee machine quite as well, you’d be fine in the working environment. Yeah, I know they don’t have coffee machines on a bike when you’re couriering but who’d want to be a courier when the snow’s six foot deep anyhow!

Start your pizzeria…

I’d move back into I.T. and try and get a job doing that - maybe helpdesk or something? tbh I dont think you really want to learn Norwegian, its easy to pick up when you are in the country and as said above watching tv etc can help loads. Why not just order a language course and talk you your girlfriend? You’ll pick it up in a couple of months…the only nasty thing about Norwegian is the glottal stop which we find hard to get used to.

I lived in denmark for awhile and I moved back here, it was just very very boring and the winter months are very dark and pretty depressing…

why did you goto Norway anyway? Did she want to go back and you HAD to follow or did she want to stay in the UK and you wanted to move? IMO as said above a girl will stay with you whereever you are if shes head over heels, so why did she need to move back?

No criticism here you’ve done a coolo thing just launching yourself in there but now you’ve got to build up a picture of Norway as your home ie, job, money and friends, if you cant do this and cant see yourself doing that then you need to get out m8.

i have PM’d you

Dude, I was thinking exactly the same thing!

Flour, water, tomatos, cheese, sliced ham - £1.75
Flip, flop, pound, thump, twirl, flip, flop.
Splatter, splurge, smear.
Clunk (heat) click - £30.00

Wow, that’s a great way to make almost 1500% profit!

When are we all emigrating to Norway then?

Would it be possible for you to teach English? I know you need a bit of local language to communicate but I know a few people who have done it in the far east?

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Dan.

@ Romanov:

I’d move back into I.T. and try and get a job doing
that - maybe helpdesk or something?

Well, problem is a) out here in the sticks there’s not much of an IT industry, which is mainly in Oslo/Bergen and b) any IT job will involve speaking a lot more Norwegian than I know.

you really want to learn Norwegian, its easy to pick up
when you are in the country and as said above watching tv
etc can help loads. Why not just order a language course
and talk you your girlfriend?

My girlfriend and I have always spoken English to each other and while we try to speak Norwegian sometimes it’s always far too easy to switch back to English…

You’ll pick it up in a couple of months…the only nasty
thing about Norwegian is the glottal stop which we find hard
to get used to.

Hey mate I’ve lived in London for long enough, I haven’t go’ a problem with glo’al stops!

I lived in denmark for awhile and I moved back here, it
was just very very boring and the winter months are very
dark and pretty depressing…

That’s pretty much exactly what it’s like here now – you hit the nail on the head.

why did you goto Norway anyway?

Well, my girlfriend had a **** job in London (working in Superdrug) and she just really really hated it. I tried to tell her for about a year to just get another job. After all, Polish people manage to come to London and get another job without even speaking English properly so why should she have a problem finding a new job in a city that has 100,000’s of them?

The problem also was she didn’t make **** all money in her job. I’d always bring home 300-500 a week and she’d bring home 120 quid because she only works part time at six quid an hour. I tried subbing her as best as I could (paying for rent, food for us etc.) but in the end it wasn’t enough. Then our landlord defaulted on his mortgage and we got served with eviction papers. It was either just move into another place in London or make a move while we got all our rubbish in boxes anyway. So, the decision was made and off we went…

Trust me, going back down to my courier company and handing back my radio, PDA, tracker and bib was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. After working for so many rubbish companies I finally found one that was fair, paid decent money, had reasonable controllers etc. and I really loved working for. Now I’ve given it all up to be here and it turns out it doesn’t seem to be such a great idea, but I can’t really go back either because I pissed away all my money coming here and I wouldn’t know where to go in London anyway.

So, guess I really don’t have a chance other than to ride it out. I might be able to get a language course in January 2007 and until then I might as well just sign up for World of Warcraft or some other time-eating online game to kill the time.

Once I speak enough Norwegian and somehow scrape together 40,000 kroners I’d love to get my class “CE” licence so I can drive trucks. Lorry drivers are in quite a high demand here but I was an idiot for not getting the licence in the UK before coming over here. It’s a great job because you are out on the road and you don’t have to speak much Norwegian – and (unlike being a motorbike courier) if you get into a collision it tends to be the other person’s problem as you weigh 50 tons.

I seriously considered coming back to the UK living like a dog somewhere and just getting my licence there and then go back, but looking and the cost of travelling/setting myself up there again and then doing the training I might as well wait it out and do it here. At least then I get the special “scandinavian” aspects of the training (how to run over moose, drive on ice etc.) Should be fun but it all requires patience which I’ve never had a lot of. I’m a child of the “I want everything NOW!” generation.

No criticism here you’ve done a coolo thing just
launching yourself in there but now you’ve got to build
up a picture of Norway as your home ie, job, money and
friends, if you cant do this and cant see yourself doing
that then you need to get out m8.

Well, I have no other choice than to hang on and try a bit longer… in the end if I really don’t see it happening for me here you’ll see me back at Cubana’s eventually, probably next spring… But who knows maybe I can pull it off somehow. We’ll see if taking the language course will cheer me up a bit. Until then I just have to suck it up…

@ dannyboy: no use doing that, everybody here speaks perfect English already, which just makes it that much harder to learn the language because everybody wants to practise their English!

The funny thing is: while you won’t have problems COMMUNICATING with anybody as they all speak English, they won’t give you a job until you speak THEIR language… it’s a bit silly really.

you sound a little more positive today Stefan

keep it up

you could try the schools - they often pay for an English speaker to go in and join in the English language lessons - like a foreign assistant, I hate to say it but your experience is mirroring my own in a big way - I’ll point out the stuff I learned but feel free to ignore because I dont really know you or your girlfriend…

• shes not up to much just getting a temp job in superdrug whilst living in London, you must have been quite convenient as a source of income to keep her there…

• she should have got another job to help you out and if she was serious she would have to make staying in London a possibility, by not doing so she was never going to stay on…

• You’ve now chucked your life away to follow her when she didn’t make a big effort to help you out, its all a bit convenient for her to move back to Norway presumably to her parents? Has she got a good job there to help pay bills and get a flat? You did it for her is she doing this for you? (I know the answer to that one)

• Scandinavia is terrible in winter but very beautiful in summer, I’d come back - get yourself a quick courier job, get the truck licenses and then go back IMO

• If you did the above I doubt your relaitionship would last, she hasn’t really demonstrated any real need to be with you or to keep you there if you see what I mean…

• the Scandinavians are a very very bigotted lot, my degree wasn’t recognised in Denmark as it wasn’t taught in Danish yet we (The British) recognise their degrees and give them an equivalent result in our degree standards, I’m afraid they do not recognise the EU or the ability to move borders freely, just like the french, Germans etc its only us that are attempting to follw the spirit of the EU…

have a good think about it m8 and DON’T hang on if its not worth it…

p.p.s this is ONLY my oppinion I dont know enough about you so the above may not be true at all…