Basic minimum security - London

Just bought my replacement bike post crash write off, a 2012 Hornet which surprisingly I really don’t want stolen.

I was just wondering what the general concensus is for minimum security these days given I will be parking on the road or pull behind my block of flats.  It doesn’t have an alarm which is my main concern.

I currently have one of these, https://www.evanscycles.com/abus-granit-extreme-59-lock-00104612?esvt=54364-GOUKE2195368&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1213684-1&esvcrea=183821471483&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvtg=pla-300126404561&esvo=00104612-NA-NA&esvaid=50080&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1ufKBRDYrqLzrY3dy88BEiQAPI_r4dQ3GesA0eRmKHSmjQhR66KPe9_5KyhSBOpuSZZS4wEaAqGb8P8HAQ and I will get a decent cover.  But I do want an alarm as well.  

I have been suggested one of these, but is this overkill to go alongside the D-Lock?  I am happy to spend money if needed, better to spend £200 than not have a bike. https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/abus-granit-detecto-x-plus-8077-disc-lock-yellow

I always recommend an Almax security chain.  I have five of them, plus their Rhino Defiant ground anchor in my garage.  Contact them on http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ and if you mention my name, they may give you a discount.

Whatever you choose more is better
There is nothing on the market that can’t be defeated by an angle grinder
So it’s a case of slowing the shitbags down
I have both almax chains ground anchor and I had two granit D locks as well as disc locks
The d locks and disc locks are easy to carry with you an almax chain is heavy and awkward to carry
A good cover is both cheap and offers a good form of protection

You have to always way up the ratio of ease of use : risk of theft…

When I used to park on the street, at home I would chain, cover and disclock the cover in place… Tbh if I still had to do that, I would just use the bike less and less I think - it can be annoying when it’s pissing it down / boiling and you’re trying to get to work. On the street at work I quickly went to just a disclock. Managed to get away with it for 2-3 years without it being nicked, then I moved to suburbs of epsom with a garage, and it was put in garage, the gate was closed and that was it.

In terms of chains, almax always come up, as do pragmasis (I think). For the amount of money that ‘detecto’ is, I would rather invest in a solid chain, if you can chain to something…

Nothing is overkill thoiugh… again based on what been reading on here the Xena alarmed disclocks are quite good. Can’t say I’ve had experience.

As Wise said, covers hide the bike… get one with holes to lock the cover back and front and it makes it less of a target (unless you get spotted riding to/ from).

I’m a lazy bugger so I found that chains are a faff. I prefer disc locks and currently use just one, but if I wanted extra security I’d put another one or two on. For me they’re convenient to store and quick to put on and remove. The ultimate security measure for me is parking close to something more exotic/expensive/unsecured.

Disc Lock and Chain for London streets.  Chained to immovable object as well.  Mine is usually in secured CCTV car park and still chained and locked.  Home is Almax Series IV as a minimum.  Lock it or lose it.

You have to always way up the ratio of ease of use : risk of theft...
This. 

Mine is D-locked to a ground anchor, steering lock and alarm on, and covered (also it’s in a locked car park with CCTV). There are times I just can’t be arsed to uncover it and unlock it, and end up using my bicycle (which is probably better for me anyway).

I always recommend an Almax security chain.  I have five of them, plus their Rhino Defiant ground anchor in my garage.  Contact them on http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ and if you mention my name, they may give you a discount.
Aceman
This is why you are always up so early.

It takes you two and a half hours to unchain the bike each day.

Only takes 3mins with an angle grinder

That’s to cut through all 5 Almax’s right :wink:

Yep
The harder he material the easier grinders can cut
True cutting Ali with an angle grinder it takes ages and clogs the disc

I suspect that’s more to do with melting point than hardness Wise.

Do bikes still get lifted into vans? Used to hear about it a fair bit (happened to a colleagues Ninja outside our office about 8 years ago) but recently it seems to all be angle grinder and 'ped push.

On that basis (and the fact that there’s rarely anything to lock a chain to) I just use disc locks in town.

Do bikes still get lifted into vans? Used to hear about it a fair bit (happened to a colleagues Ninja outside our office about 8 years ago) but recently it seems to all be angle grinder and 'ped push. On that basis (and the fact that there's rarely anything to lock a chain to) I just use disc locks in town. monkimark
It is a different class of criminal.

Ped-crims are talented footballers who have fuck all else to do.
Van lifter-crims seem to be better organised and it will be more likely that the bike ends up in another country.

That’s OK then, no criminal with any class would want my bike…