Bandit 600s wierd problem in traffic

Hello, I hereby throw myself before the wisdom of LB…

Ive noticed an issue with my dodgy old 97 bandit after spending some time in london traffic.

After some time (about 40 minutes) of filtering and standing at lights, the idle speed drops off and the bike stalls unless I keep the throttle open. If it stalls its difficult to start again. This has happened a few times over the last few days and keeping the throttle on a touch all the time is distracting. My idle speed after warm up is about 1k rpm. After a prolonged traffic scenario its less than 500rpm and its blipping untill it stalls. Oil light comes on and I loose the engine. After that it takes some choke to restart the engine. That cant be right.

Is it overheating? Do I need to up my idle speed?

Any suggestons welcomed!

Cheers

Red

Check the oil level, is it enough oil in the engine?

My idle is about 1400rpm when hot (manual says it shoud be 1000-1300rpm).

Maybe carbs needs to be cleaned. Many different things could cause problems with your bike

When did you changed your oil and filter?

Is choke cable operate properly?

Check the oil level, is it enough oil in the engine?

Yep

My idle is about 1400rpm when hot (manual says it shoud be 1000-1300rpm).

Ive upped my idle speed to 1300 but not been in traffic since

Maybe carbs needs to be cleaned. Many different things could cause problems with your bike

I will look into that…

When did you changed your oil and filter?

Last week

Is choke cable operate properly?

Ive remove the choke cable completely cause it was sticking now operate it from the right of the engine with a nylon cable tie (direct to choke lever)

Thanks for your help!

Red

Please let me know how is your bike now. You have to adjust idle only when the engine is hot, I mean really hot.

hey fella sounds like carbs are freezing up or possible need a carb tune. take it to a guy called paul watson in gravel lane chigwell, knows bandits inside out, i took my 6 and 12B there it came out stinking quick

Hi guys seems ok after upping the idle, but i havent been into central since, so heres hoping.

The geezer at SRS thinks I have a coil problem and has recommended that I replace them both. Hes quoted 160 squids. I just cant afford it at the moment as i need to buy boots so it will have to wait.

I’l have to look up Mr Watson when I have some money. The bike, insurance and DAS has left my bank manger in tears. Have to have a few careful months methinks.

Cheers

Redz