Are fork seals a DIY?? ZZR1100

Mine seem to be leaking a bit and the front end is a bit spongy on the brakes…what’s involved in this or, if I put it in a shop to be done, what should it cost?

Download yourself a workshop manual and have a go yourself mate.:slight_smile:

The only thing you might struggle with is the bolt at the bottom of the slider. You will probably either make up a special tool to hold the piston assembly and stops it from turning.I made one from a broomhandle or just take that bit to a tame mechanic who will have the special tool.

If you do it yourself, make sure you have a torque wrench and specs to put it all back together, as it would be embarassing to have the entire front end collapse at your feet. First purchase after getting a bilke ought to be the service manual.

http://www.repairmanualclub.com/index.php?dlid=387

Download a manual and have a look:)

And if you do it yourself, do one at a time to save mixing bits up.

TBH, the hardest part is keeping the thing steady with no front end - easy if you have a garage.

Dunno if the ZZR is the same as my ZX9 - you can make a tool to hold the damper rod while you undo the cap screw at the bottom out of 20mm steel box.

Thanks guys…I might have a go at it. Due to do another long trip in the next week and think they should be done before leaving. If I decide to pay to have them done , what’s the going rate in the UK?

Cheers

IIRC the ZZR has a centre stand so keeping ut steady is a doddle:)Indeed, 20mm box or I filed a square on the end of a broom handle:D

IIRC the ZZR has a centre stand so keeping ut steady is a doddle

Mine no longer has… At least not one that is useable:)

I bet you wish you had looked after it now;):smiley:

Ah yes, centre stands… I remember them - used to have them on every bike back when all this were fields .Still got to prop the front end up securely, though - I’ve seen a few that have just propped it up with wood under the bottom yoke - they mostly ended up having to fix bodywork as well as fork seals :ermm:I usually stick a scissor jack under the down pipes and axle stands wherever they’ll go.

i did mine meself ,well took the legs to shop to have seals put in cos i had nothing to make special tool with .i also take off fairing lowers then jack up bike and put axle stands under frame .good luck with it:)

Or get the missus to sit on the pillion seat with a good book:D:D:D

get your self to southern cross they will sort it or better still ask matt on here he would be the one doing it at s c anyway

get your self to southern cross they will sort it or better still ask matt on here he would be the one doing it at s c anyway

Would do mate but the 2000+ mile round trip puts me off:) Thanks for the advice anyway:)