Another snapped chain story

The failure was mid range pulling up to a roundabout so nothing major (but I do ride it hard everywhere and the odd accidental wheelie and traffic light gp start does happen)

I didn’t bother looking for it as I was on a dual carriageway and it was morning rush hour.

I would say the chain was original aspecifications although it’s 14 years old it haseems done very minimal mileage

No idea who fitted it if it was replaced recently but it looked in good nick, but was starting to get towards the end of its adjustment range

I cleaned and adjusted it myself about a month ago and all looked good.

Marmablade
TDJ
Would it not have been removed and refitted on your last engine rebuild ?

Lucky boy you didn’t get hurt.
Hope these chain snappages don’t come in three’s…

Good point Mark

Yes sorry, i removed and refitted it on the engine rebuild, i thought Art meant who actually fitted it from being a new chain, ie riveted it together.

I removed the chain and front sprocket as a complete chain, and the sprocket was put back on to the manufacturers Torque settings, It isn’t held in place with a securing tab but i do remember it having a anti rattle washer on it so all i can think is it didn’t hold it on fully.

I think if i’m being honest, the chain was in the very last legs of its life, It was VERY close to the end of its adjustment and really could’ve done with Changing but i was hoping it would see me out to the end of the Month as all 3 of my Kids Birthdays are in May so May is always an expensive month and i could’ve done without the expense. But with saying that, i don’t think it was at breaking point and the more i think of it, it was definitely the front sprocket that came lose and snapped the chain as no way would a snapped chain cause the front sprocket to come off.

Be careful using rags near chain and sprockets … its quite easy to get carried away and and up dragging a finger between chain and rear sprocket and yes i mean turning it by hand … for whoevers sake never have it running in gear and attempt that ( it has been done and they are called stumpy for a reason ( i have a few ex colleagues with similar nicknames for going to see how sharp their chainsaw was before actually stopping the saw ! )

And after nearly 3 years of shaft drive i now have to remember how to do this chain crap !

Tease, your getting worse than your better half. What’s attached to this aforementioned chain?