Another snapped chain story

My chain snapped on my way to work this morning, on inspection the front sprocket was also missing so I think the sprocket came loose and flew off which in turn snapped the chain, I don’t believe the chain snapped by itself as I do always keep on top of chain maintenance. Luckily enough it happened round the corner from my mums house so I pushed it to hers and put it in her garage and she lent me her car to get to work. Time for a nice new shiny orange sprocket set :slight_smile:

Or a new bike…your cursed!!!

Ooeerrr. That is pretty scary…  I’ve had two snapped chains in 10 years and 100k of riding… odds on my side I think. Just as well you could push it to safety and chain did not get you or the sprocket do a ninja star impression on your leg!

Sam, I’ll give you a tenner for your bike and stop it being such a problem for you

Sam, you’re blessed.  You didn’t get hurt, I pressume, else you’d have mentioned it.

Seems as if the last 12 months have been your annus horribilis!

Questions :-

Did the failure occur at a ‘Traffic Light Grand Prix’?

No sign of the AWOL sprocket, nut or security tab (if one was ever fitted)?

What mileage had the chain and sprocket set covered?

Who fitted the chain and sprocket?

Who and at what service interval was the chain and sprocket set last inspected?

You know we like to hear the minor details.

The failure was mid range pulling up to a roundabout so nothing major (but I do ride it hard everywhere and the odd accidental wheelie and traffic light gp start does happen)

I didn’t bother looking for it as I was on a dual carriageway and it was morning rush hour.

I would say the chain was original aspecifications although it’s 14 years old it haseems done very minimal mileage

No idea who fitted it if it was replaced recently but it looked in good nick, but was starting to get towards the end of its adjustment range

I cleaned and adjusted it myself about a month ago and all looked good.

Sam this very nearly happened to me last week.
Pulled off from the lights, stopped then went to pull off again and no drive whatsoever. I almost cried by the side of the road as it I thought my gearbox had gone at first.

Luckily two nice bikers helped move my bike out of the road, big D picked me up and Tim had a look over my bike.

Turned out (much to my relief) that the front sprocket nut had come loose.

It was a straight forward fix and luckily my chain didn’t snap or worse😓

I’m lucky it didn’t wrap around my rear wheel too!

Ok now you lot are worrying me

I’m off to the stable block now to check the 250

I'm off to the stable block now to check the 250 National Treasure
I checked last night & oiled as well

I oil Wednesdays &  Check & clean then oil Saturday/Sundays due to my mileage

what do people think of the ketten max gadget…thinking about moving to using paraffin for cleaning since chain spray cleaner can get expensive…

a mate of mine had a triumph speed four, discovered that the front sprocket nut had come loose and the only thing holding the sprocket on the shaft was the case cover

what do people think of the ketten max gadget...thinking about moving to using paraffin for cleaning since chain spray cleaner can get expensive... Abzero
I like mine, I'd probably never get round to cleaning the chain without it.
what do people think of the ketten max gadget...thinking about moving to using paraffin for cleaning since chain spray cleaner can get expensive... Abzero
The answers in the question - Gadget

A couple of Tesco Bath Essentiials double sided nailbrushes at £1.00 each (other cheap as chips nail brushes are available), paraffin, pair of marigolds and something to soak up the muck :wink:

A couple of Tesco Bath Essentiials double sided nailbrushes at £1.00 each (other cheap as chips nail brushes are available), paraffin, pair of marigolds and something to soak up the muck :wink:

National Treasure
Indeed - its the fact its meant to contain the muck in a handy bag which appeals :)

When I was at OMC a while back, rather than spraying degreaser directly on the chain and brushing, they sprayed it into a cloth and rub the chain using the cloth.

Last time I did my chain, I followed this method and found that I didn’t have to use that much chain cleaner and it’s a much neater process on the floor underneath. It takes a bit longer and you could argue it’s not getting into certain parts but seemed effective.

National Treasure
marigolds

now that is posh

i go in bareback & use mrs wises toothbrush & or a paint brush to clean the chain & sprockets also the inside of the chain cover

The failure was mid range pulling up to a roundabout so nothing major (but I do ride it hard everywhere and the odd accidental wheelie and traffic light gp start does happen)

I didn’t bother looking for it as I was on a dual carriageway and it was morning rush hour.

I would say the chain was original aspecifications although it’s 14 years old it haseems done very minimal mileage

No idea who fitted it if it was replaced recently but it looked in good nick, but was starting to get towards the end of its adjustment range

I cleaned and adjusted it myself about a month ago and all looked good.

Marmablade