And this week i have been mainly .....

Decided to have the week off ( well lots of days left that need to take so thought stuff it )And decided it was time for me to venture out of the Mainland and seeing as the Tunnel is cheap and easy it was booked …

£35 return to inc insurance for the day/overnight

Ok a few little worries of how it would be and just getting used to road signs etc and the threat of the old style scenario of giving way to vehicles pulling out i the right etc …

Got there a little bit late for my booked departure ( by 4 mins ) so free of charge transferred to next train …

As it happens am glad as two other riders on the train both whom were on a day trip too and they soon had me at ease regarding bits and bobs .

Got there and my intial plan was to pull up asap and just work out exact direction and observe but seeing as had a offer to tail i accepted well for about 1km where i parted company by my own choice and took off down a little d road to get some practise in before then getting slightly confused around Calais to find the road i wanted to Dunkirk and from there i just went with flow and looking at map and thinking yes that looks intresting …

Route Taken

Mont Cassel has an amazing view but highly cobbled …shaken not stirred …

And the d11 up through arneke well that was worth it nice flowing open cornered road .With a quick stop off at the British Cemetery as i was passing .

Then decided to return to the terminal around 4.30instead of the 6-7pm booked slot and transferred again onto the 5.50 slot ( was meant to be 5,20 but the border control took so long … no not with me :P)

And on route home stopped off at Clackett Lane services as starving and opted for the hot food company and the Steak and Ale pie (£6.99) which i an so suprised to say was a great meal and plentiful portion for what we all expect from a motorway service area … and it would even put a few cafes/pubs offerings to shame …

Returned home about 7.30

And i think i only had two WTF is that car/lorry doing on my side of the road moments …Oh yeah ooops sorry …One being after diversion and to busy looking for the right signs and second was after making a u turn to deviate from planned route …

This may open the gates now to this years holiday destinations

few pics

Well done Tim for making your first (of many) bike trips across the channel:cool: Whole new world to explore where, especially in France, car drivers are more bike aware:) As you’ve found it’s easy to drop your guard and head off on the ‘wrong’ side, normally after fuel stops or turning around. I once had to chase down one of a group of riders that, after stopping to retrieve something he had dropped, rode through a series of blind bends, at speed, trying to catch up with the others…on the LEFT :w00t:.

However, the more miles you ride it will seen less ‘odd’ and you will enjoy the great roads mainland Europe has to offer:P.

Definately one of those “one small step…” moments. Enjoy.

I knew you’d enjoy it Tim …

Did you not eat in France?

It’s not all escargo and jambe de grenouilles :w00t: