2 wheel commute.

Yup. I save average 45mins each way daily. And don’t have the unreliability of trains to worry about. Include the stops at the gym too and the time savings are even more. It’s a real enabler.

The odd problem, puncture. It’s worth it.

Tfl says £190/month. Around 80£/month fuel. So Ithink bikecommute is cheaper. I’ve had same bike 8yrs.

Also means I drink less.

^this. Probably to the tune of a couple of hundred quid a month.

I have all the time and money savings too but it also enables me to be home in time to read to my kids and put them to bed.

I work very close to home.  The extra time taken to deal with the bike security and changing into bike clothing takes noticeably longer. When I say close, I really mean it. Twice a week my drive is 3 to 4 minutes, and the other days it's 12 to 15 minutes. Aceman
Then why are you even driving if it is 3 to 4 mins? Cactus

I usually take two storage boxes of equipment/uniforms, each of about 44 litres, a sports bag, one or two kick shields, a two-piece graphite stick, and a pair of kali sticks.  

This…

By the time i put on gear remove all the chains and hunt around for a parking space my commute is no quicker than TFL but it is a lot cheaper.

It's at least an hour by public transport, 30 minutes by bike or sub 25 minutes if the roads are quiet. £10 petrol a week or £40 on public transport. Am lucky to have secure parking, so don't need a ton of locks, making the most of it though as we move office next spring and there's no parking 😕 UrsaMonster
hah... i feel ya' broh... got me 25 mins with 19 driving and 6 waiting on a Saturday mornin' around 645 to 715( satNav info) on a 11M or so trip to central London from NW. As well had the luck to get a work place with CCTV gated underground parking...course this is driving time only, add 10 mins each end to gear up. :))  

I’m outside the M25. It used to take 1.5 hours each way when the bus/train worked. Often 2 hours. Sometimes 3. 
Normally I’m done in 40-45 each way. Massive time saver.

me_groovy - Chief Bodger
2 days ago - Quote
I know I’m outside London but my commute is 30 mins walk to where the bike’s safely garaged then 20 mins ride to work. I can cycle from home to work in 45 mins. I just don’t want to!

Just out of interest why don’t you cycle to where the bike is garaged?
30 minute walk would be greatly reduced and save even more time.

I live in southend and travel to Waterloo every day. By car to Upminster and then Train it takes me 2 to 2.5 hours each way. By bigger motorbike 1 Hour 10 mins (excluding the 20 mins of putting all the clothing on and off)  By scooter around 1 hour 20mins.  My favourite is the scooter as it makes rising in London a lot less hassle but 50-60mph max on the A13 isnt much fun.  Rather than time the biggest saving is in money terms. £30+ a day by train. £5.50 by bike.  Basically £7200 a year by train as opposed to £1320 by bike.

Wow! At that rate, Darrel, even a top level sports bike will pay for itself in about two and a half years.b

Wow! At that rate, Darrel, even a top level sports bike will pay for itself in about two and a half years.b Aceman
pay an average for a sports bike lets say £5k for a used one

use it for 3 years commuting @45miles each way everyday of a working year that’s around 25k miles per year after 3 years you could end up with a bike having excess of 80k miles & will be next to worthless with what people term as serious high mileage you mite get £1 or 2k back on it

I know I’ve been commuting into London on a motorbike for an awful long time.

my son commutes into from Southend to London up by the Angel on his GS500 & I done the maths for him his weekly ticket into London is around £89

with the all the costs associated with running a bike (tax,insurance,tyres,chain Blah Blah Blah) he is no better off.

but its saves him over an hour by bike over the train  

Seems like a lot of folk here cost their commuting purely on the fuel they use rather than the true cost which for a decent size bike is probably at least 25p a mile.

And they also seem to compare the cost with separate daily train tickets instead of season ones.

I’ve never bothered to cost it out, I suspect bike would work out a bit cheaper but I’d happily pay more to ride in because of the time I save.
It varies from site to site but at the moment it’s 45 minutes by bike and probably double that by tube.
Most days I see my kids in the morning before I leave and get home in time for their bath/bed. If I got the train, I’d pretty much only see them at weekends.

Well for me it’s the grin factor.
Luckily I don’t have to pay for public transport, but door to door by bike takes me average of less than 20 minute.
Public transport 30/45 minutes.
Cost of public transport zero.
Cost of bike fuel weekly £8. Driven like a lunatic.
But it’s the grin factor and also able to stop at shop to do shopping as well.

The bonus with biking is, when it is raining. You leave the house all kitted up and when you get inside your work you remove all your kit. It works for me :-) 

No I’m not a male stripper :wink:

Over winter I often get to work and I’m the dryest or warmest out of my tube/train/bus using colleagues. Good gear and heated gear for the really cold days def pay for themselves if you’re a regular commuter.

1hr 45 mins by bus/tube/walk, 45 mins - 1hr tops by bike. Both door to door. E17 to SW6.

Tube makes me angry, bike makes me smile =)

Costs £8 a week in petrol, would be £50 a week in tube fares, more if you factor in coffees and croissants.

Had to head into Kent this Friday. Accident on M20 meant that if I had taken the car, I would have been there a long time. Just bimbled past on the bike.  Trains mean I have to take a cab to the hotel and back from station, + rail ticket means it is way more expensive than just riding to and from location.

When I was commuting from Enfield to Vauxhall Cross it used to take me just under an hour on the bike (CBR6), and it was possible to do it in about a quarter of an hour more by bus, train and tube. BUT, that public transport time was only when everything worked perfectly which most days it didn’t, which is why I eventually gave up on public transport altogether. Also, from Enfield I was spending about £675 a year on petrol compared to more than £1500 for my season ticket, and that was 2005.

When I moved to Chelmsford in 2008 I was surprised that I could get in from there on my VFR, 25 to 30 miles further, in a very similar time, about an hour and ten as opposed to two hours or so by train and tube. (the advantage being that most of that journey was at motorway speeds not 30-limit filtering).

Once, when I was recovering from ankle surgery (not bike-related), I had to take my work laptop into the office so the wife drove me in. We left Chelmsford about 10:30, well out of rush hour, and still didn’t get to Vauxhall till nearly 2. How do the cagers do it every day?