2 wheel commute.

We know that using our bikes to commute saves time and money but how much time are you actually saving. I have worked out im saving on average 40mins per day round trip when traffic is at its usual. When its really bad i have actually saved 90minutes +. This is taking in to account getting my gear on.

By tube, it takes me ~1hr15min door to door. By bike 30-40min depending on traffic. Even when you factor in unlocking/locking bike up, changing etc, it’s still a hell of a saving.

However, what’s more crucial to me is it allows me to handle kids school drop off or after school club pick up, still manage sensible hours at work and has thus made it much easier for my other half to study or work. If I took tube, I’d be be doing super early starts or late finishes to do my hours, probably paying for more childcare and generally have to do deal with way more hassle for both my wife and myself to work.

Saves me 20 minutes in each direction, but that’s if I arrive one minute before the train is leaving and it’s running on time. It’s probably more like 30 minutes each way in real life.

by public transport its roughly 1/45

by bike its roughly 1 hour

You forgot the grin factor

My journey isn’t possible by public transport unless I wanted to leave the night before or get in two hours late, in which case it would still take 3 hours compared to the 1 Hour 10 by bike, by car the same journey would take 1hr 40

Public transport.  Cheaper, quicker, more convenient. 

I think the major thing for me is dependability. Journeys which can be done by public transport vary wildly depending on unknowable and uncontrollable circumstances. On the motorbike, or pedal cycle for shorter journeys, I know to the minute how long it is likely to take me.

My journey isn't possible by public transport unless I wanted to leave the night before or get in two hours late, in which case it would still take 3 hours compared to the 1 Hour 10 by bike, by car the same journey would take 1hr 40 Curtis
I have to use a car for part of my commute as I don't have a bus service that will get me to the train station where I live

i used to use a scooter & park at the station but they stopped any parking a few years back

I work very close to home.  The extra time taken to deal with the bike security and changing into bike clothing takes noticeably longer.

When I say close, I really mean it. Twice a week my drive is 3 to 4 minutes, and the other days it’s 12 to 15 minutes.

Public transport is just to unreliable plus im lazy so wanna be able to sit down lol.

The Joys of living outside of London, still couldn’t pay me to move back!

I know I’m outside London but my commute is 30 mins walk to where the bike’s safely garaged then 20 mins ride to work. I can cycle from home to work in 45 mins. I just don’t want to! 

I work very close to home.  The extra time taken to deal with the bike security and changing into bike clothing takes noticeably longer.
When I say close, I really mean it. Twice a week my drive is 3 to 4 minutes, and the other days it's 12 to 15 minutes.
Aceman
Then why are you even driving if it is 3 to 4 mins?

Bike longer for me with the changing and unlocking and waiting to warm up than car, about 10-15 mins more each way. The joys of not living in London!

Which would make it about equal to train but with no direct trains in morning and only 2 an hour in the evening, it’s too much of a faff…

Because people can’t carry much stuff? Presumably.

I save about a hour in the morning and 45 minutes on the way home

Takes me 15 minutes to walk to station, 40 minutes to central London if train on time, 15 minutes to walk to work.  1/2 hour by bike am and 40 minutes PM if traffic is heavier.

It’s at least an hour by public transport, 30 minutes by bike or sub 25 minutes if the roads are quiet. £10 petrol a week or £40 on public transport. Am lucky to have secure parking, so don’t need a ton of locks, making the most of it though as we move office next spring and there’s no parking :confused:

I save no time at all in the morning. It’s a 20-25 min walk then a 55 min train journey. It takes me between 1hr and 1hr30 to ride 35 miles to be in Waterloo for 0800.
When I leave at night, usually 2300 or so, the same journey takes 45-50 mins. If I take the train home I can’t be fucked walking home after a 16 hour shift so get a taxi.
So, probably saves me ten mins. But riding must save me £20 a day. £24 return on the train, £5 taxi.