Trailer Trash

We’ve bought a trailer! It’s for trackdays and trips abroad, further afield. It’s a Debon C400. As luck would have it, it arrived as a part-exchange at the dealer the morning we turned up, so it was in an out within an hour, heh.

We’ll tow it with the Tesla to start with, as that’s what we have, but we plan on getting a towing vehicle to make life a little easier on longer trips - mainly to avoid having to unhitch every time we need to recharge. When towing with the Tesla we are estimating a 125-150 mile range, but time will tell. We’ve only towed it empty, not fully loaded. The normal real-world range is about 250-280 miles, but of course towing something massive and heavy ruins your fuel-economy/range.

It’s to tow the two sports bikes and associated gear for trackdays. Also, we plan on putting the two BMW GS’ in there somehow (without panniers) to take to places further afield. We’ve got a roadtrip planned to Slovenia later in the year and that’s at about the point distance wise, where it starts to get a little bit of a stretch when riding all the way on bikes, considering time off work, tyres, tiredness/enjoyment, etc. Easy in a car where you can share the driving duties and the tyres don’t square off :slight_smile:

Fit-out wise, we want to do a few things to make life a bit easier, but nothing drastic as we want to keep the weight/cost down. We’re thinking Pitbull mounts for all bikes, a few small cupboards, rails to hang things off, skylight, additional lights, perhaps some mats, etc.

Something like these, but without the fitted cabinets…

2000_6044c20f0939d

Pitbull trailer restraints:

1 Like

I would think carefully before fitting a skylight. If its not 100% right you may get water coming in and thats not good unless you were hoping to fit a shower to freshen up.

2 Likes

Hrm, a good point for sure.
I’d probably get a professional to install one, if I did :slight_smile:

Where’s Mian when you need him.

Some 12v downlights would be my go to. or some 12v LED strip in a surface mount profile rather than a skylight. Less likely to give you hassle and easy to remove if the next owner doesn’t want them in.

3 Likes

Definitely some LED lights, maybe fed by a small bike battery that’s charged from the car. Then it’s independent.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I’d like, for when the trailer isn’t connected to the car. Perhaps a Lithium Ion battery to keep it light.

Update: have just done a dress-rehearsal with the two GS’ in there. They fit, in a top and tail arrangement. That was on the side stands. Ideally I’d like to have them on Pitbull stands to make life easier. I really don’t want to be strapping these behemoths down.

I helped a mate convert a van to a camper a couple years ago, after 3 people tried, I was the one who was able to fit a roof fan properly without it leaking.

Fit solar to the roof. Judging from your budget, get a Jackery system, then you can have 240v when you need it at the track, as well as 12v for lights.

3 Likes